•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarsPi - guiding with an Android device

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi S Gazer!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I didn't even know about this site, I will think about it  :waytogo:

#52 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

@myzsot: Do you know how to get the Raspicam working with linguider?

Cheers,

Carsten

#53 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi Carsten,

Hard question, I don't even have a Raspicam module but I will try to get one and see how does it behave.

The best is to put this question into the Linguider topic(as you already did).

#54 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

I have linguider running with the Raspicam! Was not a simple thing, many dependancies.

http://www.cloudynig...d/#entry6995983

Carsten

#55 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Carsten,

This is an old thread about the tiny-pixel-pitch camera as in those camera modules.

http://www.cloudynig...5-raspberry-pi/

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#56 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

BTW, the problems are

1. Video for Linux V4L style interface has pretty limited control on image sensor to extract the sensor potentials

2. For 1/30 exposure time and such tiny pixel pitch (for almost all Raspberry Pi camera modules), it is not so useful for guide star acquisition 

3. (I thought it is the case...)   through V4L, only compressed flavor of the images are acquired, never sensor raw

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 17 January 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#57 dragonlost

dragonlost

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hello.

I see the img of starspi Raspbian is currently based on wheezy. To couple several astronomy project on raspberry I like to know if it would be possible to have a version based on Jessie. This would improve compatibility with the WiFi Dongle

#58 S Gazer

S Gazer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hi S Gazer!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I didn't even know about this site, I will think about it  :waytogo:

You just need to add some field use photos that show how cool this hobby is...  :)

#59 THX59

THX59

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

Great job !
I'm use to using IAH which is a realy good complete offer but needs knowledges in Linux.
I appreciate your way of thinking too. Your android app is usefull. DSLR USB link is really plug and play. It's realy "Ready to use" !
However, I have some questions :
1- How do you manage differents close StarsPi users who have the same ssid ?
2- Do you expect to tranfert the images from the DSLR to the smartphone ?
I hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by THX59, 12 February 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#60 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys!

I didn't had much time to develop stuff for StarsPi but hopefully this will change soon. To answer your questions:
Yes, I'm planning to be up to date. That means Raspbian Jessie and the latest version of Lin guider.

1.) Currently there is no solution for it. I am planning a setting with which you can set your own SSID (maybe the password too).

2.) I'm not sure what an autoguiding device can do with the images of the DSLR, so currently not. What was your idea behind, why would you need the image of the DSLR?

Great job !
I'm use to using IAH which is a realy good complete offer but needs knowledges in Linux.
I appreciate your way of thinking too. Your android app is usefull. DSLR USB link is really plug and play. It's realy "Ready to use" !
However, I have some questions :
1- How do you manage differents close StarsPi users who have the same ssid ?
2- Do you expect to tranfert the images from the DSLR to the smartphone ?
I hope to hear from you soon.

#61 THX59

THX59

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi Nagy,
Concerning the 2.), I have to give more details.
Regarding your way of thinking, I need somethink simple as possible on the ground.
I know that my request is beyond an unique autoguiding software...
However, now, as the DSLR USB link exist, it seems obvious to transfert the pictures to the smartphone.
The goal is to analyse the quality of the pictures during the session (e.g; Histogram, quality of the stars...). Do it directly on the DSLR isn't always easy and could move the telescope.
We can imagin do a Gphoto2 command after each exposures in order to transfert the .jpg file from the DSLR to the PI2, then transfert it to a specific folder in the smartphone.
So, it could be possible to etheir use an App like "DSLR Dashboard", or improve StarsPi App to be able to display and analyse the picture. (zoom and histogram).

http://stackoverflow...gram-in-android
I'm ready to test it if necesary.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

#62 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

Hi THX59,

Your idea is definitely something I will consider, I need to admit I like it. Especially when you mentioned: "Do it directly on the DSLR isn't always easy and could move the telescope." It is really a pain to set again the focus when you just framed your object and there is no bright star on it...

#63 THX59

THX59

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

Hi Nagy,
Today, I have tested a wifi disconnection between the android app and the Raspberry.
I have discovered that there is a problem while an exposure is running.
The sequencer of the intervallometer is IN the andro├»d app. If the wifi is disconnected during an exposure, it's impossible to reconnect to the Raspberry and the DSLR doesn't stop.
The only way is to switch off the supplies. That's a real problem for me when I'm on the ground.
I precise that, if the DSLR is not linked to the Rasp, the only couple lin guider and StarsPi accept a wifi disconnection - reconnection.
Nagy, It's a great idea to use an app to control the DSLR throught Gphoto. Nobodys have done it before and I still encourage your work.
So, I suggest to modify your softwares to use the Gphoto sequencer in stead which is in your app.
I hope that you will agree with my suggestion !

#64 wimvb

wimvb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a guiding rig with this app. So far I have a ZWO ASI120MM connected to the Raspberry Pi running StarsPi (the RTLxxxx version) and am running the StarsPi app  on my android (huawei P9 Lite). The android app can connect to the StarsPi network, but my camera only shows as off line. Can anyone help, please?

Screenshot_2016-11-04-15-34-18.png

Regards,

Wim

#65 dciobota

dciobota

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Well, maybe this app is long dead, but I do like the idea of controlling both the camera and autoguider from an android device.

However, I installed the nl80211 image on two separate cards and tried to make it work on my rpi3 (which I believe has the nl80211 wifi chip) but no luck.

Anyone manage to make this work on an RPI3?

#66 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hi guys,

The app is not dead, at least not from my side, I had some personal issues to deal with, no time for hobbies. I'm glad you are still interested in the project and I have plans to support RPi3. Many of you guys asked me on email whether the RPI3 is supported; the answer is not yet. You need to stick with RPi2 for the moment, I expect somewhere in the next two months to have an update for the RPi3.

Thank you for your understanding!

#67 dciobota

dciobota

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks my man, much appreciated.  Sorry to hear about those issues, hope everything is well with you.

I do have a fairly recent copy of raspbian working, I was wondering if I use the modified linguider zip you posted a while ago it might work.  I guess the only other thing I would need is what the settings for the access point should be in order for the andoid app to connect.  I know this won't make the dslr control work, but I've played with gphoto2 before, I might be able to make that work as well.

Keep up the good work.

Btw, I had mentioned to another member before, I have some python/javascript code I wrote some time ago to control dslrs via gphoto2.  That code also has a previewer (in javascript) as well as a liveview streamer.  The back end is python, the web interface is javascript/html.  I can send that to whoever is interested in incorporating liveview and image previews in their app.  Should be fairly easy for android.

#68 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

Is there an option to guide in one axis only (RA)? Thinking of using it with a Sky-watcher Star Adventurer.

#69 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:18 AM

Oops. Nice project indeed, but it's actually guiding with the RPI, not with the Android phone. I've already imagined a phone strapped to the guider's EP :) (have 3 laying around)... That would be awesome. By the way, for older DSLRs "live preview" functionality it might be possible to interface with the EyeFi card

Edited by halx, 08 December 2016 - 02:20 AM.

#70 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

Oops. Nice project indeed, but it's actually guiding with the RPI, not with the Android phone. I've already imagined a phone strapped to the guider's EP :) (have 3 laying around)... That would be awesome. By the way, for older DSLRs "live preview" functionality it might be possible to interface with the EyeFi card

Hi Alex,

I understand your point of view but this guider was meant to be controlled wireless, you would need a device anyway between the guider camera and the phone. If you already have two devices in the setup, IMHO it doesn't really matter which one is running the actual guider app.

#71 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

My point is that in theory, you may use just 2 Android phones. One, with its integrated camera attached to the guide scope and with its USB OTG port (or using a dumb BT or Wifi gate like a ESP8266) to the mount's serial port, and another in your hands as a remote controller. That could simplify the development a lot, as both are Android OS and with Java SDK, make it cheaper to build (many Android owners are keeping their old phones), reduce the setup and take down times (just mount the phone on the eyepiece and you are ready to imaging, if the serial gate is used), independent power supplies (camera phone with cell service off should survive 5-8 hours constantly on). The only issue would be probably the need of a really bright guiding star for the phone camera...

Edited by halx, 08 December 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#72 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hi guys,

I am happy to announce that the Raspberry Pi 3 version of StarsPi is now available. There is no need to install a newer version on the phone, you just need to write the below image file to an SD card.

Please note:

- it is based on the latest version of Raspbian Jessie (2017-01-11)

- you need at least a 4 GB SD card, preferably with fast R/W speeds

- no need to buy/connect an external WiFi dongle, the package uses the built in module of RPi3

- this image is not compatible with RPi2 or any previous hardware

- tested guider cameras: webcams and QHY5, more to come

Have fun and don't forget to leave your opinions!

Link: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• premk19 likes this

#73 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi guys,

I am happy to announce that the Raspberry Pi 3 version of StarsPi is now available. There is no need to install a newer version on the phone, you just need to write the below image file to an SD card.

Please note:

- no need to buy/connect an external WiFi dongle, the package uses the built in module of RPi3

Thanks for the update!! Are Nikons supported yet for dslr control?

#74 siuba

siuba

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

Hi guys,

Please note:

thanks alot!! i would like to know does it support QHY5R-II? (the cheapest cam from QHY)?

#75 myzsot

myzsot

Android AstroTools

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the update!! Are Nikons supported yet for dslr control?

No, this version uses the same gPhoto which does not support Nikon cameras.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics