•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarsPi - guiding with an Android device

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 myzsot

myzsot

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

thanks alot!! i would like to know does it support QHY5R-II? (the cheapest cam from QHY)?

I have never used the R series cameras, so I can't tell you for sure. The image sensor part itself is quite different but it may use the same driver circuit as for the other QHY5(L) cameras. If you already own a QHY5R, give it a try, in the meantime I will try to find something more about these cameras...

#77 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the update!! Are Nikons supported yet for dslr control?

No, this version uses the same gPhoto which does not support Nikon cameras.

Will I be able to manually update to the new version of gPhoto without breaking the control via the android app?

#78 myzsot

myzsot

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

It should work, the function calls should be the same between these versions. I know I didn't release many updates recently, but this will change. Updating the gPhoto part is a low hanging fruit, it will be my next target. Stay tuned...

• premk19 likes this

#79 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the update!! Are Nikons supported yet for dslr control?

No, this version uses the same gPhoto which does not support Nikon cameras.

Hi Zsolt Nagy,
So happy to meet you again! I am sorry that I didn't test your great project since I got the RPi 3 long time ago. By the way, as I said before I could control my Nikon cameras using gphoto2. Also, I have written a simple bash script to take astrophoto with dithering function of lin guider during imaging session. The script could be used for my Nikon D810A, D600 and D5300. Also, my friend helps me to test it on D800E and D7200. You could find my script @ https://github.com/Q...ter/astrocap.sh
Demo for the previous beta version @ https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

My AP image using the script: http://www.cloudynig...-and-m20-d5300/

In fact, I didn't know programing at all and I just learnt a little bash language from internet so that the script might not be well designed. To make it simple, I use "gphoto2 --auto-detect -B seconds --capture-image-and-download --keep-raw --frames frames --interval seconds --hook-script script" to control my Nikon bulb exposure. I hope that it could help the Nikon user for AP :D

Thank you for sharing your great project!

Edited by sampson, 24 January 2017 - 10:10 PM.

• tkottary likes this

#80 siuba

siuba

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

thanks alot!! i would like to know does it support QHY5R-II? (the cheapest cam from QHY)?

I have never used the R series cameras, so I can't tell you for sure. The image sensor part itself is quite different but it may use the same driver circuit as for the other QHY5(L) cameras. If you already own a QHY5R, give it a try, in the meantime I will try to find something more about these cameras...

thanks! i will try it later :)

#81 AstroVid

AstroVid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Is there an option to guide in one axis only (RA)? Thinking of using it with a Sky-watcher Star Adventurer.

I'd certainly like to see RA-axis only guiding for Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer mounts too!

Really pleased to see that StarsPi development has resumed as I love it.

#82 kaushikbm

kaushikbm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hi guys,

I am happy to announce that the Raspberry Pi 3 version of StarsPi is now available. There is no need to install a newer version on the phone, you just need to write the below image file to an SD card.

Please note:

- it is based on the latest version of Raspbian Jessie (2017-01-11)

- you need at least a 4 GB SD card, preferably with fast R/W speeds

- no need to buy/connect an external WiFi dongle, the package uses the built in module of RPi3

- this image is not compatible with RPi2 or any previous hardware

- tested guider cameras: webcams and QHY5, more to come

Have fun and don't forget to leave your opinions!

Link: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot Nagy for this wonderful upgrade.

Just two queries

----------------------

1)  Can this use RPi's GPIO pins for guiding pulses ?

2)  Will it support QHY5R-II Color ?

#83 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

re: 1)  Can this use RPi's GPIO pins for guiding pulses ?

Not a proper term to be used and can generate further confusions.

There is a well-understood term: pulse guiding, which is to use serial communication to convey a single command such as "nudge direction at y speed for x duration".

What you plan to do using GPIO port leads are ST-4 guiding, a.k.a. parallel guiding.

For that, hardware-wise, you need to add a simple DIY opto-coupler based interface adapter to connect to mount's ST-4 port.

Software-wise, ask INDI folks for proper aoftware interface.

< edited to add a link >

http://www.cloudynig...ding-interface/

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 04 February 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#84 kaushikbm

kaushikbm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hi guys,

I am happy to announce that the Raspberry Pi 3 version of StarsPi is now available. There is no need to install a newer version on the phone, you just need to write the below image file to an SD card.

Please note:

- no need to buy/connect an external WiFi dongle, the package uses the built in module of RPi3

Hey Nagy !

Outstanding work with the new RPi 3 applause.gif . Hope StarsPi and Linguider updates to the cheapest QHY5R-II color. I'll be jump.gif

#85 arturpp

arturpp

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hello, as starspi.com seems dead, does anyone have access to documentation? I would like to try it to guide my SW Star Adventurer. Does anyone tried it with single-axis guiding with any success?

#86 LouiseW

LouiseW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

Hi guys,

Please note:

Hi myzsot

I'm trying out your StarsPi :) I have the app installed on a nexus 7 tablet and Jessie image on the Pi 3. My Nexus 7 sees the Pi Wifi but asks for a password? What would that be?

Thanks

Merry Christmas 2017 :)

Louise

#87 LouiseW

LouiseW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

I managed to get my tablet talking to the Pi/Lin_guider but unable to try it out with real stars. Will investigate it some more.

#88 DavidOrDave

DavidOrDave

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keene, NY. USA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Greetings. This project is interesting, but it appears to have died off and starspi.com is dead. What is the fate of this project? Is anyone still using or developing it?

I've been playing with iAstroHub, but am finding the UI too confusing and camera support for my ZSO a little flaky (the jury's still out).

#89 LouiseW

LouiseW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

Greetings. This project is interesting, but it appears to have died off and starspi.com is dead. What is the fate of this project? Is anyone still using or developing it?

I've been playing with iAstroHub, but am finding the UI too confusing and camera support for my ZSO a little flaky (the jury's still out).

I swapped over to Indi/PHD2 but bad weather has prevented much progress. However, the Ubuntu PHD2 seems much more reliable and responsive.

Louise

#90 DavidOrDave

DavidOrDave

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keene, NY. USA

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

LouiseW, thanks for the update. It seems that my power adapter was under powered. Improving my power supply has lead iAstroHub running reliably now. I still think the user interface is difficult, and StarPi looks interesting.

I've got iAstroHub to the point where I decided to modify my finder into a guide scope and will try aligning things in the field when the weather improves. We'll see where it goes.

I've read elsewhere that PHD2 runs slowly on the Pi, but I have Nebulocity on my Mac and so PHD would be a natural thing to try. Did you have much difficulty installing PHD2 on the Pi?

#91 LouiseW

LouiseW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi

I think I just followed Patrick Chevalley's instructions (above link). Didn't have a problem and the Pi guided my eq3-pro ok via ST4 using a qhy5l-ii mono camera. The Indi server was needed for the camera drivers. I'm using a Pi3, btw. I've not done anything with it since early Jan, partly cos of weather.

Louise

#92 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:17 AM

Hi DavidOrDave,

I have been using Raspi 3 and Lin guider for auto guiding and capturing using QHY5L-II mono and Nikon cam. You could download and try my Raspi 3 image (AstroEx) if you don't mind that I just installed the astrophoto programs without taking care of internet security since a web server for DSLR control was installed. It should not be a problem for me as I only use it as AP mode at remote areas. You could find some screenshots at a Asia website http://www.hkastrofo...hp?f=68&t=34371

Here are the programs installed:

Auto guiding programs:

• Open PHD2 (Push Here Dummy)
  • Lin_guider

Polar Alignment Tool:

• PhotoPolarAlign (Similar to Sharpcap polar alignment )

Telescope control programs through SkySafari plus/pro, INDI,INDIGO or native lX200 driver:

• ser2net for SkySafari plus/pro
  • Kstars / Ekos
  • SkyChart / Cartes du Ciel

CCD imaging programs:

• CCDciel (INDI)
  • Planetary imager

Other programs:
-INDI Starter
-INDI web management (http://10.0.0.1:8624/)
-INDIGO web management (http://10.0.0.1:7624/)
-noVnc server (Remote access AstroEx using browser at http://10.0.0.1:6080/vnc.html)
-DSLR web control (For bulb remote control Nikon D810a, D810, D800, D800E, D7200, D5300 with Lin_guider dithering function at http://10.0.0.1/DSLR_control)
-Single File PHP Gallery (Web photo gallery for real-time photo viewing at http://10.0.0.1/astrophoto)
-EQMOD (Front end of INDI EQmod driver)
-Entangle (Program / Front end of gphoto2 for DSLR control)
-Gtkam Digital Camera Browser (Browse and download images from an attached digital camera)
-gThumb (Image viewer and organizer)
-Astrometry.net engine (For local plate solving using web control interface or command line)
-Astro focuser(Checking FWHM on photo or live view image. Start compton before using)
-Data / index files for local plate solving engine (All 4100 series, 4200 series for FOV ~ 30-240 arcminutes, 4206-4207 for FOV ~ 11-22 arcminutes)

SSID: AstroEx
Pass: 1234567890

User: raspex
Password: raspex

VNC and web server
IP: 10.0.0.1
VNC Port: 5900

Download AstroEx

Edited by sampson, 02 March 2018 - 08:41 AM.

• ccs_hello likes this

#93 Mexitli

Mexitli

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

I have been using Raspi 3 and Lin guider for auto guiding and capturing using QHY5L-II mono and Nikon cam. You could download and try my Raspi 3 image (AstroEx)

Hi sampson, what extra features has your AstroEx distro? i had a raspberry pi 2B with a usb wifi adapter tplink TL-WN823N, i can see wireless networks available, but i wasn't able to set as a hotspot and access via android.
Any idea?

Thanks.

#94 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

Hi sampson, what extra features has your AstroEx distro? i had a raspberry pi 2B with a usb wifi adapter tplink TL-WN823N, i can see wireless networks available, but i wasn't able to set as a hotspot and access via android.
Any idea?

Thanks.

Hi Mexitli,

My AstroEx was built on raspberry pi3 (Not B+) so that it might not be run properly on other versions. Though I started my guiding project on pi2 long time ago, I did not used it anymore and the raspi image has gone. As I knew that you have to install relevant linux driver with proper config file for your usb WiFi Dongle to enable AP mode of it. However, you have to check if your WiFi dongle has AP function.

By the way, the download link of AstroEx is invalid on my previous post since the new version of AstroEx was developed on raspberry pi3 (Not B+) but I have no way to edit the previous post.

This is the new download link for AstroEx version 3

Screenshot of AstrEx on Hong Kong Astroforum

OS updated to ubuntu 18.04 LTS

DSLR web control add support for bulb remote control of Canon 6D, 70D, 80D,600D, 700D, 1100D and dithering function of PHD2

Clear Skies =)

#95 euklides69

euklides69

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

When we can get updated version of AstroEX, some components have already newer versions ( i.e. PHD2 , Linguider ....) ?

#96 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

When we can get updated version of AstroEX, some components have already newer versions ( i.e. PHD2 , Linguider ....) ?

AstroEx was updated in Feb but I haven't post here since I don't want to hijack this thread and nobody seem to be interested in AstroEx  undecided.gif

I am happy to share my AstroEx if you wanted and you can down the updated version @ https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I will update INDIGO when I have time soon or you can update it by using "synaptic package manager" (Connect the raspberry pi to internet with fixed line ).

program added / updated:

- QHY polemaster 1.3.5.0

- ddsever ( For qdslrdashboard app. Start ddserver on AstroEx https://youtu.be/yhIWPxHhne4 )
- virtualhere usb server ( D810a using capture one pro via virtualhere https://www.youtube....h?v=oyyyJHEPR0Y )
- gphoto2 2 2.5.20
- INDIGO 2.0-78
- noVNC
- phd2 2.6.5dev7

- phdlogview 0.6.2

- Kstars 3.0
- INDI Library 1.7.6

Edited by sampson, 08 May 2019 - 08:50 AM.

#97 jack_82

jack_82

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

I think starspi was a very good idea for guiding on the field, with only a smartphone and a raspy. I have a latest Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and i can't managed to run starspi, so i think It wont work with this version...

there is an upgrade for starspi on latests raspy? 

I experimented with Ubuntu mate + ekos/kstars, but its too slow,  also uncomfortable with vcn and a smartphone.

#98 myzsot

myzsot

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

Dear fellow hobbyists,

StarsPi was(is) something I'm proud of, it was my first project which really stirred some interest. There was a lot going on in my personal life which prevented me to return to this hobby, especially deep sky photography (which would require guiding). I'm back in business now, however my home's location prevents me to do any serious deep sky photos (narrowband is something I would try sometime).

I am considering to release the source of both the modified Lin Guider and the application via github so we can collaborate and restart this tool. I would like to know if there are people who are willing to join this development. I am open on reusing what was already done or just incorporate parts of it in another solution (like AstroEx).

Some details about the current state of the project:

- the website is down but I maintained and still own the domain starspi.com

- the application is not available anymore on Google Play because it was not updated to comply with the ever evolving policies of Google; but it's not lost (there are still 69 devices out there, see pic )

Attached Thumbnails

• starspi_on_play.png

#99 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

Dear fellow hobbyists,

StarsPi was(is) something I'm proud of, it was my first project which really stirred some interest. There was a lot going on in my personal life which prevented me to return to this hobby, especially deep sky photography (which would require guiding). I'm back in business now, however my home's location prevents me to do any serious deep sky photos (narrowband is something I would try sometime).

I am considering to release the source of both the modified Lin Guider and the application via github so we can collaborate and restart this tool. I would like to know if there are people who are willing to join this development. I am open on reusing what was already done or just incorporate parts of it in another solution (like AstroEx).

Some details about the current state of the project:

- the website is down but I maintained and still own the domain starspi.com

- the application is not available anymore on Google Play because it was not updated to comply with the ever evolving policies of Google; but it's not lost (there are still 69 devices out there, see pic )

Hi Zsolt Nagy,

Other than AstroEx, My friends and I also have a co-project (FB page: AiGo) for astrophoto using raspri. We aims at providing free raspri OS image that is fine-tuned and pre-installed astrophoto tools. We should be grateful if you don't mind to share the source of the android application under open source software (OSF) license with us. We will try our best to update StarsPi and integrate into AiGo raspri OS that is free raspberry pi OS for anyone who use Andriod, DSLR and raspri.

Clear Skies =)

Sampson

Edited by sampson, 20 December 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#100 frasax

frasax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cologne,Germany

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:45 AM

Hi,

i´m looking at exakt such a Projekt to work with. An easy, LowCost StandAlone like Application for Guiding,Dithering and DSRL Shutter release. Is there any way to get this peace of Software to play around with it?

CS Frank

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics