•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Radians and Naglers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 jake47

jake47

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:13 PM

I'm somewhat of a newbie, and I've been poaching here for a while -- soaking up answers without asking questions. Now I need some advice from those how have actually used the above mentioned eps. On my NS11GPS, I use a 24 Panoptic most often. I need a higher power (lower size) ep that is better than the Celestron plain plossls I have. (The Panoptic spoiled me.) I have had advice from two dealers to go with Radians in the 8 to 10 range. Why would this be better than a Nagler 9 mm? I like planets but really love globular clusters and fuzzies.

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:18 PM

Better try them out at a star party. I have the 8mm radian and while a nice eye piece, doesn't work as nice as the panoptic. Also, for the air in Phoenix, I don't get many nights where I can use the magnification the 8 provides.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:27 PM

Hi, Ron.

I found that the 9mm was too much magnification for the C11 most nights here in Ohio.

Jake:

I had some of the Radians but didn't end up keeping them. For me, the 60 degree FOV is too much like a Plossl for the price difference. If you like the 24mm Pan you'll love the 12mm Nagler - and can probably use it every night. It's not the ideal planet EP (no widefield EP is) - but is magic on clusters & other DSO's. If your seeing is sufficiently better than mine a 9mm Nagler would be good.

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:03 PM

Ok some may disagree with me on this but another way of testing a Nagler is not to buy one... but a eyepiece in the same focal length to see how the power does on your scope. I have done this a few times using the UO orthos to see if I wanted to buy a more expensive eyepiece in that same focal length, further I bought a 24mm Ultima to see if I would ever want to get a 24mm Panoptic.

Basically the idea is to keep yourself from buying a eyepiece that you won't use that much....

#5 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

That is not a bad idea. Excess magnification will not be helped if you pay more for the eye piece.

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:28 PM

Basically the idea is to keep yourself from buying a eyepiece that you won't use that much....

Uh oh - is that what we are supposed to be doing? :foreheadslap:

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:03 PM

Poll questions:

Is the above statement acceptable for CN frequenters?

Is it responsible to suggest we exercise restraint in the accumulation of astrogear?

Is it proper to intimate that eyepieces must be USED to justify their acquisition?

Nay, I say! :silly:

#8 dc2861

dc2861

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:44 AM

Poll questions:

Is the above statement acceptable for CN frequenters?

Is it responsible to suggest we exercise restraint in the accumulation of astrogear?

Is it proper to intimate that eyepieces must be USED to justify their acquisition?

Nay, I say! :silly:

NO!
NO!
AND FRIEND NO!

#9 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:37 AM

Gee, I took it as an opportunity to save money for an additional scope. Not to scrimp on eye pieces. :D

#10 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

That is not a bad idea. Excess magnification will not be helped if you pay more for the eye piece.

Thats exactly how I look at it....

#11 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, OK, I admit my abject failure as an accumulator...I've got a couple of Radian 5mms that are just too much for realistic viewing conditions, so they'll soon go onto The Block. I woulda' kept 'em, but with Russ Lederman coming out with a binoviewer Barlow, they've become excess.

WHAT AM I SAYING? I might SELL an eyepiece?

I have to go take a nap; things are wierd...

Help me.... :help:

#12 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:38 PM

NAGLERS NAGLERS NAGLERS! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
:yay: :yay:

Sorry. Got carried away there.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics