•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Entering Lat/Long in my NextSatr handset

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

Wanting to be more precise I have decided to enter my exact Lon/Lat co-ords rather than shoot for the nearest city
I found these from Maporama
52° 45' 51" , -1° 17' 39"
Would this Translate to
52,45 North & 1, 17 West when entered in to the NextStar custom location set up?

Cheers,

James.

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:42 PM

Can't say. Where do you live?

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:06 PM

East Midlands, UK (North and West of London)
I wasn't doubting the read out Maporma gave me just the format in which it should be entered into the scope.

Thanks.

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

According to the "NexStar User's Guide" the exact lat / long isn't as big a factor in alignment as one would think. The BIG deciding factors are an ortho leveled OTA (Tube leveled with the mount, NOT true level), and a precise two star alignment. The book says that all the closest city serves is as a starting point to for the database to slew the scope to the alignment stars. The "LEVEL" is important. The two alignment stars and their EP centering are KEY to letting the GoTo know where it's at.
I went through the same thing when I got my scope. I used a handheld GPS to get exact lat / long, but that can only be entered down to the arc minute, so precision is lost.
After reading the book, I took the OTA and fork off of the tripod and leveled the tripod all around. I then put the OTA and fork back on the tripod, and leveled the tube with a bubble level. I marked an index with tape between the the fork / tube altitude axis. I use this as "level" in the alignment. I also took the OTA off of the mount, found it's balance point with an EP inserted, and marked it. I center the balance mark right under the OTA clamp screw of the mount. I try to be very precise in centering the alignment stars (KEY!). I've set my backlash control to 50 in both altitude and azimuth. My scope now tracks nicely.

I HIGHLY recommend "The Nexstar User's Guide". That book has answered many questions for me.

#5 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:12 PM

That's odd...I thought I replied to this thread earlier...hmmm

Anyway, I agree that exact site data is not too important, but to answer your question:

I haven't used my 114Gt in awhile, but I believe that the data is entered in decimal degrees, instead of deg. min. sec. format. This would mean that 52 45 51 would be

52 + [(45+(51/60))/60]= 52.76 Deg. (I think) :crazy:

Gary

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:38 PM

James, I think your question is more about the -1° 17', since your East of zero. You would enter 1° 17' East is that's possible. Otherwise, you have to go all the way around west to 22° 43' West.

But, as is being indicated here, it's not so important. Once you've seen GPS Align Successful, go into the "Utilities" menu to "compass" and enable "Calibrate compass". It will enable your scope to get closer to your alignment stars next time you power it up. Enjoy!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics