Merope was my mono dob designed and built as an engineering pathfinder for Sterope - an F/4.5 16" low compromise compact binocular telescope. The key challenges are much the same, only harder:-
1. must disassemble and fit in the boot of an ordinary sedan
2. must be fast, easy and fun to set up and use
3. must have superb optics
4. must be easy to collimate
5. must hold collimation well and be easy and intuitive to "merge" when necessary
6. must be easy to transport inside and outside (wheels), no lifting required in ordinary use
7. must fit through an ordinary doorway (~800mm) without being disassembled
8. must have setting circles
9. must permit use of 2" eyepieces, up to and including the 17mm TV Ethos
Although there are some fine bino-scopes out there, to my knowledge nobody has come close to achieving all these objectives in one package before. Bino-scopes are notorious for being heavy, bulky, complex and frustrating to use. At the same time they offer stunning and unforgettable views of the night sky. So in a fit of madness I decided to take on the challenge and see if I could deliver the goods without the bads.
Edited by Oberon, 21 March 2015 - 02:36 AM.