•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parks Telescopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 ScottW

ScottW

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

Well I'm at my last hope for information about both the quality and availability of Parks telescopes. In particular their 6" f6 and f8 reflectors that been around for years. I would like to know if they are any good, I mean better than what is available by the big companies and Orion.

Even though this is a classic telescope forum I do beleive that these scopes have not changed over the last thirty years in design and I hope that someone has had direct experience with Parks products. I want to compare them to a Intres 5.5" Mak-newt, my choice at the moment due to lack of response from Parks and lack of information.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Scott

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

They are somewhat dated in their construction, though the optics are good. They more closely resemble a 1980's state-of-the-art (remember piers?) before the heavy Synta mounts came along, and before Losmandy, Celestron CGE, etc.
They are worthy of purchase as an OTA, IMHO, though. And if you can find one of the Parks Petra mounts to go with, it can be a fine GEM-mounted scope.
I don't believe they are in production any longer, though Parks may be able to piece a scope together for you. They aren't cheap, but the quality is there(at least a cut above the typical Chinese GEM-newts)--IF a GEM-newt is what you want.

#3 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:36 AM

I believe that Scope City is the distributor for Parks. I've been to their showrooms in Simi Valley and Sherman Oaks, CA, and Parks telescopes were on display at both locations.
Parks mounts are dead ringers for the old Cave Astrola mounts. The prices are astronomical, but if price is no object... Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics