•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" Tinsley Saturn Cassegrain Restore

• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

#426 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

I can't remember where I found this ad.

It's been cropped to only show the cassegrain.

Anyway, it looks pretty close to the angle of your second photo.

Tinsley Saturn Cass.jpg

• davidmcgo, steve t, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#427 ArneN

ArneN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

Great restoration job done!

Arne

• Bomber Bob likes this

#428 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

I do like the idea of brass rings!

Best piece of brass in town!

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#429 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:05 PM

Tinsley x 2:

attachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S90 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full RS).jpgattachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S95 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full LS).jpg

The Meade StarFinder is a good EQ for the Tinsley OTA, but nothing carries the 26#  Saturn VI like the much older 200#  Tinsley EQ.

I'd forgotten that its mount plate has both 1/4" & 3/8" holes.  The rings work fine with the latter -- and I like the chrome knurled bolts, too!

Just wow! My sincere congratulations. It looks superb in the original mount JW. What a beauty. bow.gif

Guido

• Bomber Bob likes this

#430 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

• Loc: Columbia, SC

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:08 PM

Well if that isn't one of the prettiest scopes I've ever seen! My university's antique 16" B&L cassegrain is painted the same color (school colors), and I was never a fan. But it could be because that poor scope looks like it was painted with a mop. The attention to detail in your Tinsley is outstanding, and that makes a world of difference. 

Edited by jwaldo, 16 August 2020 - 07:08 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#431 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:25 PM

First Light Last Night...

Seeing hovered around 7 / 10, except from the SW to the SE, where it trended down towards 5 / 10 -- pretty much from 5* south of Jupiter, it got bad.  Technically, my Tinsley 1st Light was years ago, after the re-coated mirrors came back from Majestic.  However, the Novak secondary assembly is so different from those that I built, and that's the main moving part, it's a new system internally...

First set up was on the massive Tinsley EQ, right outside my shed.  No motorized tracking, but I did attach the LONG original cable to the DEC axis, and I had the scope perfectly balanced.  Takes very little effort to nudge the scope in either direction, but it's smoothest with the DEC locked.

First star test at 2030L on Arcturus, straight-through with the Meade RG WA 20mm & UO HD OR 20mm.  Bright rings, but slightly out-of-round.  I tried correcting with the 3 primary mirror thumbscrews, even though I already knew I'd have to touch the 3 on the secondary cell.  Yep.  Took maybe 10 mins to tweak to perfectly circular.  Then, I swung all the way round to Altair.  The 3 new springs on the primary did not shift, and did not creak!  

The 40mm R/A Finder looks goofy, but works great.  The Tinsley's field is so small, it has to have a good finder.  No idea who made the antique lens.  It's about F3.5, un-coated, and has foil spacers so small they're barely visible from the front.  Unfortunately, with all the jostling, the Old Tani prism shifted in its housing, & at least 1/3 of the field is cut off.  And, with the fast lens, there's false color -- not too distracting at 17x (9mm Ramsden cross-hair eypiece).  So, I'll have to work on it.  OTOH, I saw both The Ring & The Dumbbell in it as tiny faint non-stellar "stars" around 2115L.  (Good Optics & Very Clear Air overhead.)

I never expected this 6" F20 Cass to be a deep-sky scope, but for some objects, it does very well.  Nebulae & galaxies especially -- lots of structural details at 200x.  Need to do a SxS with my Meade 8" F6 Newt...

Jupiter had tons of detail, Saturn had lots of colors -- as usual in this scope.  Sure wish they were higher in the sky!  I had the scope on the tall pedestal Meade StarFinder.  I have to have motorized tracking for high-power planetary observing.  Because of the low altitude & wet air, high-power was limited to about 240x (UO HD OR 12.5mm) or 40x per inch.  Could not focus to a sharp limb on either planet at 300x.

• mattyfatz, clamchip, steve t and 4 others like this

#432 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

The Mother of All Focusers...

Saturn OTA R81 - Focuser (Complete).jpg

This scope delivers at high powers, and deserves a smooth & precise focuser, and Tinsley gave it one.  It's my very best old rack & pinion (it may be my oldest R&P, too!).  Helical rack, machined brass parts, solid(?) chrome knobs, clutch / lock thumbscrew, and... it rotates.  The rotation isn't 360* -- it stops at an index point that's engraved on the collar / housing.  Apparently, there was pin in the groove / track on the edge of the rotating disk that's missing now, but a lip inside the collar keeps it level -- turning left / right doesn't affect collimation.  I guess the pin was a feature to hold it level, even with heavy accessories attached.  (I can't imagine putting a binoviewer on the Tinsley, but maybe a spectrometer, illuminated guiding apparatus, etc.)

The chrome focuser tube has 2 slots rather than the typical 1.  And, the focuser has that big, ugly, long-handled loop clamp that'll hold just about anything in place.  But... it can get in the way; and, it slows down swapping out accessories versus a thumbscrew.  I've done some thinking about & shopping for a replacement, but haven't found anything I like.  The best candidate is a mod like we've done for the 76mm Astro Optical refractors with the 30mm manual / pull tube -- a chrome pipe with a collar that has a thumbscrew.  Or, I have a brushed aluminum tube that I could attach the existing rack to, that already has a 35mm threaded end that'll fit the spectros prism diagonal, but that won't fit standard 1.25" accessories...

• mattyfatz, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#433 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:19 PM

Now that I know their positions, I'm gonna make the hinged tube rings semi-permanent (one fits under the finders near the primary mirror cell), and avoid additional paint scratches.  Gonna paint them gray to match the finder rings, and replace the cheap metal hardware with brass; and, replace the beige felt with better quality black felt.

• mattyfatz, steve t and Terra Nova like this

#434 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

I never expected this 6" F20 Cass to be a deep-sky scope, but for some objects, it does very well.  Nebulae & galaxies especially -- lots of structural details at 200x.  Need to do a SxS with my Meade 8" F6 Newt...

Yup, I used a 6" achromat for several years as my main scope.  The Messier list and the NGC catalog down to M10 or so were all great.  Of course, making a jump to a C11 was a revelation in image brightness and how deep I could go.

Congratulations for your restoration.  

• mattyfatz likes this

#435 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

Ring Work...

Bought these very cheap China-made rings shortly after I got the mirror set for the Tinsley:

Saturn Restore 2020 S40 - Hinged Tube Rings (Before).jpg Saturn Restore 2020 S42 - Hinged Tube Rings (Before).jpg

They are rough castings for sure -- I snapped off a "horn" with my pliers before taking the pix.  Gonna file & sand these till they're smooth, then paint them.  At the time, I was glad to find anything that would fit this old scope's very nonstandard tube.

• mattyfatz and steve t like this

#436 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

Is there a phrenologist in the house?  I got the cheap rings painted gray, got 'em lined with foam & felt, went to put 'em on, and realized... the new brass knobs that I bought to replace the cheap plastic ones are exactly 1" too short...

So, here she is with the cheap knobs:

Saturn Restore 2020 S45 - Hinged Tube Rings (Gray Repaint).jpg

Because of that 12# primary mirror + focuser assembly, one ring has to fit under the finders -- that's how I scratched the new paint job...  I have to remove that knob, carefully position that ring, then add its knob.

For mounting:  The rear ring stays on.  I attach the front ring to the mount plate, load the Tinsley, position the rear ring over the plate hole, and attach that 1/4-20 bolt...

40mm R/A Finder:  I forgot (Big Surprise!) that I had Red-Necked an antique prism into a 1970s Tani diagonal housing.  Naturally, it slipped out of position.  I replaced the whole diagonal with one of the NOS Nihon-Seiko .965" models.  Now, it's done, and the views are pretty good for an antique uncoated lens.  This finder uses a vintage Tani 9mm Ramsden with perfect crosshairs.

One Last Annoyance:  That LONG brass knurled bolt that tightens / loosens the clamping band on the 1.25" R&P focuser tube.  It can get in the way, even when I have it on the left side.  Long term, I'd like to make a 1.25" brass adapter that fits over the chrome tube.  Meanwhile, it does give me the flexibility to use the 35mm barrel spectros Amici prism diagonal and/or Big Kellners.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 12 October 2020 - 04:09 PM.

• mattyfatz, steve t, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#437 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

Replacing the diagonal on the 40mm finder with a NOS Nihon-Seiko greatly improved it.  The antique lens is actually 52mm CA F5 with about a 260mm FL, so with the Tani .965" R 9mm, it's about 28x.  Adapting its cell down to the Tinsley Saturn spotter tube cut the CA to about 46mm.  For an uncoated lens, the views are sharp -- but tons of false color, especially on the planets!  Last night I tried 2 spectros .965" Kellners, 20mm (13x) & 15mm (17x) for wider fields -- but no crosshairs.  The yellow brass 24mm finder is from a surveyor instrument, and it gives sharp views with a surprising large field, with less CA than the much faster R/A.

Compared the Tinsley with my outstanding Dakin 4" F10 last night on Jupiter, Saturn, & Mars:   https://www.cloudyni...7#entry10585853

All the restore work & upgrades paid off with excellent views.  The only big thing missing now is a polar axis drive.  Leaning into the scope at 333x for manual tracking gets real old real fast.

• mattyfatz, steve t and GreyDay like this

#438 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

I don't want to de-rail this thread:   https://www.cloudyni...al-or-homemade/

So:  When you get hold of a really old scope in really bad shape...  Do I really want to take this on?   Few years back, I was having heart issues, and I had a negative attitude to just about everything -- especially the Tinsley.  Came very close to giving up & giving it away.  Approaching the 2nd anniversary of my surgery, and my ticker is running at about 90%, so a different attitude...

Though it's a Royal P-I-T-A to roll outside, I'm glad that I have it on display in my man cave.  It dominates the room!  And, I'm not as bugged by the remaining cosmetic work.  I guess my younger brother is tired of hearing about it.  His latest suggestion, Clean the gray parts, mask 'em off, & repaint - thin coat to retain the texture.  This is my Spring Project.  Gonna start with the feet, and work my way up.

My advice to sunflowerastro:  Be sure to take plenty of Before, During, & After photos of your work.  On rainy days like this, I go through my Tinsley album, and it does help keep me motivated.

• mattyfatz, steve t, mdowns and 1 other like this

#439 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:53 AM

By request, some Eye Candy:

Saturn Restore 2020 S94 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full LS).jpg Saturn Restore 2020 S91 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full RS).jpg

Update:  The "small" counterweight is now bright silver.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 05 June 2021 - 09:56 AM.

• astro140, clamchip, steve t and 7 others like this

#440 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:18 AM

By request, some Eye Candy:

attachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S94 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full LS).jpgattachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S91 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full RS).jpg

Update:  The "small" counterweight is now bright silver.

Great looking classic setup. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#441 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:34 AM

This image might be one of my very favorites of a restored classic. Truly outstanding Bob!

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#442 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

Thanks!  Imagine:  EQ mount head & pedestal feet in satin black...  Brass is not gonna shout it, it's gonna Holler!!

#443 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:22 PM

TS on the MSF / TP:

attachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S83 - Restore COMPLETE (Meade SF Zoom RS).jpgattachicon.gifSaturn Restore 2020 S85 - Restore COMPLETE (Meade SF Zoom LS).jpg

That's a genuine Tinsley eyepiece installed -- a 1.25" 50mm Ramsden for 60x!

Handsome scope.  Neat seeing a compound scope that looks long, like a refractor.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#444 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:48 PM

Thanks!  Tinsley uses the tube as a glare shield for the secondary -- it's positioned about 10" in from the front.

#445 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:11 PM

awesome restore........purdy 4sure 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#446 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:18 AM

Thanks!  Imagine:  EQ mount head & pedestal feet in satin black...  Brass is not gonna shout it, it's gonna Holler!!

Dark green also gives a very nice combination with brass, emphasizing the historic character, just like the red. However, red is definitely more intriguing and gives a sense of uniqueness...

• Bomber Bob likes this

#447 RPitts62

RPitts62

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:45 AM

Beautiful piece. You did an outstanding job of restoring it. So classic, it's almost sculpture.

Randy

• Bomber Bob likes this

#448 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Y'all!

Besides cosmetics, I'd still like to:  Add a conventional battery-powered drive to at least the polar axis (similar to the Meade StarFinders).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics