•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" Tinsley Saturn Cassegrain Restore

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

Sorry you missed the birth event but you are there for his first day! :)

Grandkids are sooooo much fun! You have a ball instore for you. Congrats Grandpa! :flowerred:

• bob midiri, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#52 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

We brought his Big Sister back to her house to give Mom and ourselves a break.  No such luck for Dad but he doesn't seem to mind!

Restoration is of course on hold...

• Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#53 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

Brass - 1st Polishing

IMO, the Nevr Dull gave better results with less effort than Brasso.  As a test, I started on the end ring with Brasso, and used as close to equal buffing as with ND on the big cell's edge.  After rinsing & drying, the ND part looked brighter to me, so I set the Brasso aside.  ND got the rest of the stain out, and I'm pleased with the results.  I'll use the silver polish next.  Overall, the brass is in very good shape -- just a few scrapes here & there.  The photo doesn't have the same warm glow as the original, and that's a shame.

Attached Thumbnails

• Brass - AFTER 1st Polish.jpg

• bob midiri, Adam S, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#54 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

I expect the silver polish will underwhelm at this point.  It's really impressive when you have big ugly stains to remove.  I followed up the silver polish with the Nevr Dull.  The Nevr Dull does give a really nice final finish.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#55 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

BTW, that scope is going to be a really beauty!  I'm looking forward to following this resto!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#56 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

I think the brass against the frost green-gray tube is really going to be eye-catching.  The Tube is the next project - hopefully I can get underway next week.

• Geo31 likes this

#57 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

I miss the fact that ATMing, besides building Dobs, has become something of a lost art.  This scope begs for a really cool, really well done ATM mount.  Something that gives homage to the factory mount we saw in the other thread.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#58 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

The Meade GEM arrived last night, and it has the heft to carry the OTA.  Yes, an original Tinsley would be great; or, if I had the skills & time, building a copy would be good.  But as long as I can use it, no complaints.

• Terra Nova likes this

#59 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Oh man, if I had my shop built already, I'd probably be inclined to build a similar (not replica) mount for you, just because it would be cool.

I sometimes think about not buying the metalworking machines, but I have too many cool ideas that I am just compelled to carry out.

• Terra Nova likes this

#60 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

The Meade GEM arrived last night, and it has the heft to carry the OTA.  Yes, an original Tinsley would be great; or, if I had the skills & time, building a copy would be good.  But as long as I can use it, no complaints.

Is it like this puppy? This is the old Meade #852 GEM from the late '70s. It has 1" dia. solid steel shafts turning on ball bearings. I have adapted it for a Vixen rail but rings can be bolted directly to the head. The pier has been cut down into an extension that is now fitted to a hub on a heavy adjustable homebuilt wooden tripod. I have 30pounds of counterweights for it. My old Meade #2120 10" SCT will be going on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• clintwhitman, Bomber Bob and miniqtone like this

#61 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

Terra, I'll get a photo made & uploaded -- maybe this afternoon...

I think it's from the 80's -- the axis housings are larger and conical, and the R/A circle is about 6" across -- like a cross between your example's DEC axis with a MTS SN/SC R/A axis, without the fork.  It's in mint condition!  It has the 9V battery-powered polar drive.  If the Tinsley wasn't so heavy, I might go for a tripod rather than the pedestal.

Here's a photo:

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade GEM - EQ Head CN2.jpg

Edited by Bomber Bob, 02 April 2015 - 05:00 PM.

• Terra Nova and miniqtone like this

#62 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

Tested the GEM using the Mystery Mak. Smooth and stable with satisfactory damping. I'll add about two feet to the pedestal height, and pack it like the 6336. And, in a shameless copy of that vintage scope, I'll get The Boys to make a disk accessory tray.

• Terra Nova likes this

#63 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

That's a cool mount JW! I've never seen one of those. It looks like a smaller Fullerscopes MKIV.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#64 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks! I was planning on putting it on an Eiffel Tower styled metal pedestal, but the rig is already very heavy, so I'll stick with the standard pipe and feet.

#65 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• Loc: I AM DONE

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Great work JW,

Interesting telescope, the brass is really looking good. I have been using and swearing by ND neverdull for 10 years. Ever since my Cave with the bronze setting circles.

When I restored the first 4" Saturn I had a custom paint shop re-paint the OTA they matched the color and did a incredible paint job on it. Lesson one don't leave your telescope laying in a basement of an abandoned house a block from the beach on the eastern seaboard! It was a complete restoration.  Later when I found the mint OG 4" Tinsley I noted the original paint on the telescope was much thinner and had a more homespun look to it. Not crappy looking but very industrial light satin gloss. In any event the Basement Tinsley has a good home with a new loving owner and my Tinsley is safe and stored in it shipping crate right now. JW I really love seeing a really cool scope like this get into the right hands. Thanks Bob Midiri! Thank you JW for posting your progress and solutions to the bumps!

(aveman

OG Tinsley 4" Saturn (posted for the paint texture and style)

IMG_3266sm Cradle Legs.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and miniqtone like this

#66 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Clint!  Speaking of ND:  I just finished using it on the brass "vanity finder" and the focus knobs from the 50mm (possible NS) "real" finderscope.  The latter has a long chrome barrel (as expected with a spotter), helical gearing, and 3mm thick aluminum tubing -- rugged!  All of the screws & such are brass.

No maker's marks anywhere that I can find, but it has Japan cut into the gear cover.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 03 April 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#67 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

Weather & work schedule permitting, I'll tackle the OTA tube this weekend...

As I noted earlier, the tube is aluminum.  I will remove all the current paint, and smooth out any rough spots in the metal.  The Valspar spray paint does not need primer -- read that on the can.  But... I'm thinking about putting a coat of light gray primer on it anyway -- same automotive primer I used on the Edmund GEM -- as it seemed to make the top coat more resilient.  What do y'all think?  I may try it on the big finder first.

I've also got to measure the pedestal, and decide how tall I want the upper section to be.  I like to stand & observe, but sitting & sketching is fun, too.  I may compromise, and have it at barstool height, so I can choose either stance.

#68 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

I would certainly recommend a good primer. Primers are specifically designed to provide a good bond to the metal and the paint. Paints that claim not to need a primer are hit and miss, usually miss.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#69 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

Finally!  No rain in the forecast for a solid week.  Once my outdoor 'honey do's' are done, gonna paint the big finder tube, and see how this paint really looks on aluminum.  Yep, gonna primer it first.

Got the new pedestal pipe ordered.  At 48" it's twice the height of the original, which means I can sit comfortably and observe.  Depending on how the finder looks, I'll paint this pedestal the same greenish color, and leave the OEM Meade parts alone, since their black paint is in excellent shape.  It has the same (0.125") wall thickness, so I'll brace it internally, and use the same polyesther stuffing as with the 6336 to kill the bad vibes.  Should look groovy man, groovy!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 19 April 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#70 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Got back from the doctor this morning, and was all pumped to prep & paint the new 48" pedestal tube...

Went to put the Meade cap in, and it wouldn't fit, even though the online tube specs said it should.  So, I gotta file about 0.6mm of metal off the cap.  I went ahead and smoothed the tube ends, and got the paint rig ready, so the day wasn't a total loss.  I'll tackle this speed bump WEDS, and get the paint applied.

While it's setting up, I'll fix the mirror cell.  My unknown mirror is thicker than the original.  I can force the Tinsley triangle backer into place, but I don't want to put too much pressure on the glass, so I'm using 3 steel extenders with slots.  It'll be snug, but not too tight.  I could've used the mirror's heavy aluminum cell, but I wanted to keep the scope as original as I can.

Notice in the photo that there's an engraved "1" on top.  There's a smaller engraved 1 on the side; and, there's a 1 inside the very heavy mirror & focuser assembly.  Why?  I have no idea!!

Attached Thumbnails

• TSC008 - Primary Mirror Cell.jpg

#71 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

The parts are becoming a working telescope...

Mirror Mounts

A view of the primary & secondary mirror cells.  I figured out that the 1 corresponds to the larger spring, which has more resistance than the two smaller ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mirror Mounts and Springs 1.jpg

• bob midiri, clamchip and miniqtone like this

#72 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

There are times when you've got to say "Uncle!"  The spider refused my attempts at removal for testing, so it's staying in the OTA, and I'll work around it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Secondary Spider in OTA 1.jpg

#73 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Primary Mirror & Focuser Assembly

Sorry about the glare!  What you see weighs 12.5 pounds.  It is beautiful, finely crafted, and rock solid.  The rack & pinion is smooth as butter.  The focus knobs are beyond words.  Man!  Wish I knew how much this scope sold for 75 years ago...

Attached Thumbnails

• Primary and Focuser Assy Ready 3.jpg

• bob midiri, Geo31 and miniqtone like this

#74 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

After a gentle cleaning, the Saturn namplate is back on.

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn Nameplate Remounted.jpg

• bob midiri, Geo31 and miniqtone like this

#75 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

The Tinsley focuser rotates - maybe because it was the guidescope for a much larger instrument.  As heavy as it is, it's hard to imagine this thing bolted to another scope.

Only the heavy lifting remains:  Grinding the Meade hub to fit the taller pedestal, then painting it.  All the OTA needs is a paint job.  I should have the finder painted this week.  Starting to see the finish line.

• Geo31 and fjs like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics