•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Happy Holidays to all.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jmartin5

Jmartin5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

Get things started right here. I just got my hands on a Classic here (I guess) honestly don't know a thing about it. But anyway, I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers on doing a restoration of this scope. It's a Cave Astrola 8". A little worse for wear, but not in bad shape at all. It still works pretty well-despite about a 1/4 inch of dust on the lenses. Been sitting unbeknownst to us for about 20 years in my wifes parents house. It belonged to an Uncle who bought it new a long time ago. Anyway, anything in particular I should know about this thing. One of the two motors does not work, the other one works fine. The motors cover says circle Bristol on it Mod 330. it buzzes, but does not turn the gear shaft. Frozen up.

Really looking forward to hearing from you all and getting this thing in top shape to do some viewing.

Thanks
Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• 745537-cavescope2.jpg

#2 blandp11

blandp11

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:08 PM

Happy holidays to you and yours! That scope is a classic. It's not the ordinary Cave Astrola of the Newtonian design which has the eyepiece on the side of the tube, it is a Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain. Pretty rare.

Do not clean the mirrors without reading lots and lots of stuff on how to clean astronomical mirrors. They scratch very easily; mirrors in reflecting telescopes are much more fragile than camera lenses and the same techniques that can be used on cameras cannot be used on mirrors. Do not attempt to clean them without understanding how to do it.

After such a long time the mirros probably need a recoating, this is not critical initially, but for the scope to perform it's best you will want to have this done.

It would be best to find a local astronomy club, members there would be more than happy to show you how to clean and refurbish the scope. That is, as long as you let them peak through it from time to time. :grin:

I noticed from the picture that the polar axis (RA for Right Ascension axis) has been put on the pedestal mount backwards. As it is, it cannot be elevated to align the RA axis with the polar axis of the Earth.

No doubt your Uncle had a bunch of eyepieces to go along with the scope - tryand find them.

Happy Holidays!

Philip

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:36 PM

:shocked: :bow: :waytogo: :thewave: :yay:

Nice Christmas present...I'm not too 'up to date' (so to speak) on the Astrola Cassegrain design, but I'm guessing as a Dall-Kirkham, the sucker has around an f/5 primary and an overall focal length (with a convex secondary figured in) of around f/25. Probably has a minimum usable power somewhere in excess of 100x. Very nice planetary scope.

I'm now officially jealous.

Keith

#4 Jmartin5

Jmartin5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

Eyepieces, I found 4, a 25mm,20mm, 16mm, and a 10mm. I already have the name of the local astronomy club here and their phone number and am planning on contacting him sometime next week. Hopefully get a path set out to clean it up. I noticed that the axis was on backwards from a picture I've seen of the 10" scope, it has been reversed, and now stabalization is a little better, but I feel there is something wrong in the gearing and the shaft that runs between the (excuse the lack on knowing the name) big motor gears and the scope, The scope moves freely while the shaft doesn't move at all. The motor runs and the shaft will spin from the motor, but it doesn't move the scope.(Make sense, I hope so. Thanks for the info.

#5 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 25 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

Venus, Mars, and Saturn will be smiling upon you soon, I hope!

Happy New Year!

Jess Tauber

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hi Joe,

Welcome to classic scope ownership! You've certainly got a fairly uncommon setup and hopefully you'll enjoy it for many years. You may need to get brave and take everything apart and do restoral on it. There is a Cave group hosted by Omaka Astronomical Society where you could probably find help from those who've done similar projects, especially since you may have problems in the mount that need looking into. My expertise is old Celestrons so I can't be much specific help, but check this group out...

http://www.omahaastro.com/cave/

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics