•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DeLite Eyepieces?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
511 replies to this topic

#501 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:43 AM

The more I use my refractor and the current eyepieces I have, the more I think the 18mm and 11mm DeLites could work nicely with my barlows for planetary observations. Did anyone at NEAF get a chance to test the DeLites in the TV Barlows?

Dave

Post edited by moderator

Edited by kkokkolis, 26 April 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#502 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

I think that's easier said then done.  Not everyone has a local machine shop.  I have no idea where I would go to get that kind of work done near where I live.  It's not exactly like driving to the nearest 7-11 and getting a gallon of milk.  Probably cost a lot more, too. :thinking:

Mike

I live in a low population rural area, and there are a couple around.  Honestly I've never had enough of a problem with undercuts to investigate but other work I've had done was reasonable in cost.

Y'all might contact Clay at TSS (Telescope Support Systems) they might be willing to do custom stuff.  Especially if it looks like there is a volume.  Bigger problem might be lenses in the barrel tho.

#503 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Here's someone's chance to corner the eyepiece barrel aftermarket....some 1.25" &2" metal tubes, a threadiing machine....you'll make, well, a lot of eyepiece barrels...... :)

#504 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

We warned, we edited, only measure left is locking this thread and that would be a pitty. But we don't have to, if we keep talking about DeLite and similar eyepieces and not about people.

#505 Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

I think that's easier said then done.  Not everyone has a local machine shop.  I have no idea where I would go to get that kind of work done near where I live.  It's not exactly like driving to the nearest 7-11 and getting a gallon of milk.  Probably cost a lot more, too. :thinking:

Mike

I live in a low population rural area, and there are a couple around.  Honestly I've never had enough of a problem with undercuts to investigate but other work I've had done was reasonable in cost.

Y'all might contact Clay at TSS (Telescope Support Systems) they might be willing to do custom stuff.  Especially if it looks like there is a volume.  Bigger problem might be lenses in the barrel tho.

Lenses in the barrel are the real problem.  I have no interest in dealing with an undercut barrel with lenses in them as it is certain that upon reinstallation, I will end up with optical misalignment.

However for those EPs with no optics in the barrel, why not just buy a few cheap MAs or Plossls just for the smooth barrels and switch them out.  OK, assuming you can find any sans undercuts.  You might have to buy a few to get matching threads but it seems that would be worth it to some people here.

#506 precaud

precaud

Aurora

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

Besides being shorthand for "Delos Lite", DeLite honors the designer Paul Dellechiaie. One thing I really like about TeleVue is the acknowledgment and respect they pay to their designer engineers. I wish more astro companies would do it, especially the ones in Asia.

#507 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

However for those EPs with no optics in the barrel, why not just buy a few cheap MAs or Plossls just for the smooth barrels and switch them out.  OK, assuming you can find any sans undercuts.  You might have to buy a few to get matching threads but it seems that would be worth it to some people here.

I've done this. I've taken some of my older, unused EP's and switched out the barrels.

On a diagonal I see a good use for undercuts. I often find that I will slightly loosen the setscrew and turn the diagonal, depending on the attitude of the scope. Sometimes this is done with a heavy EP in it and an undercut on the diagonal has saved me from dropping the combination out of the focuser. On EP's though I'd rather do without as they can get lodged in the compression ring. This becomes a real hassle if you have to yank on it hard enough to loose your scope alignment.

#508 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Mike

Lenses in the barrel are the real problem.  I have no interest in dealing with an undercut barrel with lenses in them as it is certain that upon reinstallation, I will end up with optical misalignment.

That too is a good idea.

#509 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

While DeLite may not be the best name....imagine if they'd called it the Alfie? :shocked:

#510 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

I thought the 20mm XW was about as comfortable as an eyepiece can be. The 10mm Delos I remember being comfortable, but the 12mm seemed to cause me a little eye strain.

Dave

??????

Not at all, (bold part).

?

You're wrong. The 12mm Delos did seem to cause me a little eye strain. But perhaps I am unaware of your special ability to know what I was seeing with my eyes. From now on I'll just let you report for me any time I feel like responding to a thread. I'm pretty tired so go ahead and report out which eyepiece/barlow combination I enjoyed the most tonight. I look forward to reading first thing when I get up in the morning so I will know the correct answer.

Dave

I've used both and they work exactly the same, So you are wrong..sorry.

You are right.  I am sure that for you the 10mm and 12mm Delos work exactly the same.  That does not surprise me in the least.   And thank you very much for telling me what I experienced when I used those same eyepieces.   Now I'm going to go have some Special K and bananas.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6sdVx5gQz6w

http://snltranscript...claughlin.phtml

Dave 

Edited by russell23, 26 April 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#511 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

NO! You don't like bananas! :lol:

#512 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

Sorry all of you that stayed on topic but this can't go for ever. 

Locked, pending moderator review. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics