•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1207 replies to this topic

#976 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

(Reply to gehelem)

Congratulations!  Ah, that makes sense!  I assume you mean the Sony CXD1267 clock driver.  Something was wrong with the clocks so you were getting images but only in one dimension.  Glad you found the problem.

This project has been quite fun and a bit of a learning experience for me (and I assume for others as well.)  Thanks to all and especially hippieua!

P.S. To have some more fun with the pinhole, make the box a bit deeper to have the pinhole further from the sensor which will increase the focal length and coverage of the "lens."  Enjoy.

Edited by Toups, 18 June 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#977 ahend

ahend

Vostok 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

I've changed sony IC, and guess what ???

YYYEEEESSSS !!!!!

(using pinhole)

Thank  you so much, guys, i didn't know what i was about to start 9 month ago, and alone i would have certainly gave up

Great job! Glad you have sorted things out.

#978 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

Much better with Canon EF18-55 :

Screen Shot 06 19 16 At 06.02 PM

For now, weather is a real disaster in Europe, i'll have to wait to see what it gives under the sky

Next step will be to put a TEC cooler, more questions to come !

Gilles.

• gregj888, wasyoungonce and Rich_B like this

#979 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

hello everyone, I have a problem with the cam 84, it worked well until it was only a circuit, the circuit I mounted inside an aluminum container, filled with nitrogen gas for drying it and now the cam no longer works, an amazing thing! !! but it's weird I used last night and it worked, now after filling it with nitrogen and tried to cool the CCD, it does not work anymore, always black dark image with low histogram with light on the sensor !!!

#980 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

I think I found the problem ... I was using an extension of the current wireless earth, only the phase and neutral, and I think he was annoyed about something, without the waste of land, because now the cam at home and now works fine! !!! with grounding work well, tomorrow night I'll try it out again through the telescope with and without the cable earth, to confirm the problem .. however now the cam works !!

#981 kalalaa

kalalaa

Explorer 1

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

archimede:

If the grounding not works check the TPS IC soldering and -8 and +15volts. I had same problem. Indoor it worked well nut when i cooled it down it was black. If i touched and pushed the tps area the image was black, so i resoldered the IC and now it works.

#562 - #577 posts!

Edited by kalalaa, 21 June 2016 - 12:54 AM.

#982 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

all resolved, the problem was the USB cable is too long, 5 meters !!! I inserted a hub immediately after the cam84 and then 5 meters USB cable, now it works fine again !!! I realized that the cable ra because it disconnects continuously from pc

#983 Superdude68

Superdude68

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Runcorn, England

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

Has anybody have Gerber fields for the tec board and thermal controller please. Hello everyone and to remove the sensor from the base I used Chemset AP 1105 epoxy stripper that only took over night and all the epoxy was completely gone..

I have a TEC controller/usb hub design I built but I'm still testing it. It seems to work fine now but I need to change a few things on the schematic and then the pcb. After that I will share my gerbers.

Have you had any luck with the tec yet?

#984 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

hi all

now i'm thinking about the TEC controller.

Looking at Vakulenko's schematics :

http://astroccd.org/...03/tec_control/

I think i can save time using an Arduino nano wich i have in my basket, then i only have to find the few parts i'm missing.

Didn't look at the firmware, i'm not afraid.

What do you think ?

Gilles.

#985 WSG

WSG

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:25 AM

Hi Gilles,

on https://github.com/v...-Cooler-Control Vakulenko has already a version for the Arduino Nano.

#986 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi Gilles,

on https://github.com/v...-Cooler-Control Vakulenko has already a version for the Arduino Nano.

Great ! thank you

#987 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

Has anybody have Gerber fields for the tec board and thermal controller please. Hello everyone and to remove the sensor from the base I used Chemset AP 1105 epoxy stripper that only took over night and all the epoxy was completely gone..

I have a TEC controller/usb hub design I built but I'm still testing it. It seems to work fine now but I need to change a few things on the schematic and then the pcb. After that I will share my gerbers.

I have made some changes and it works ok now,  I can offer the gerbers and bom up but I won't take responsibility if it messes anything up on the camera or host computer. 

• Zoroastro likes this

#988 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

here is what I managed to do last night with 6 poses by 900 seconds with cam84 !!!!! works well, but I can not understand why when processing photos with magnification you see the pixels of the matrix, or rather on the dark areas of the picture you should not see the matrix, someone knows why this ??

#989 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

A super mm56_modificato-1-1.jpg

• Superdude68 likes this

#990 Superdude68

Superdude68

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Runcorn, England

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

I have made some changes and it works ok now,  I can offer the gerbers and bom up but I won't take responsibility if it messes anything up on the camera or host computer. 

Yes please if you don't mind.

#991 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

A few of us over in IceInSpace forum looking at building the Cam84 but atm are seriously looking at "Faddy's" Cam85m version.   Has a few upgrades from Cam84 and in a smaller case.  He posted up Gerbers, but if we do go ahead we will ask him directly.   I've pretty much sorted the BOM for this just um and ahh'ing atm so very close to a decision..

• gehelem likes this

#992 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Questions regarding TEC implementations. 

I purchased some cheap TEC1-127006 modules.  Using the parameters I have been able to find for these modules I have been doing some quick calculations.

What is the cooling power required, i.e., the heat energy in to be removed from the CCD? (My first guess was that  maybe 5 Watts of cooling would be more than sufficient to keep the CCD chip portion cold.  However I could be seriously miss estimating the cooling needed.)

What temperature is desired for the CCD? My first guess was that -10 C was a good goal.

It should be noted that the performance of the TEC system is strongly driven by the thermal resistance of the heat sink used.  (For those in warmer climates, a liquid CPU cooler might be used to good advantage to heatsink the TEC.)

It also appears that significant power and low temperature gains are possible using a 2 stage design with independent control of each stage.

#993 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:31 PM

Toups,

Lots of options for TECs.  I doubt a 2 stage is warranted but you can try it.  I have a couple but am using a single stage, at least to start.  You can get single stage cooler with a delta-t of 68c which is probably enough for these sensors.

The TEC I have is one of the 68c delta and has 15 watts of cooling at that temp.  I'll be surprised if I can get anywhere close to -68c delta, but -40 should be doable.  I expect to be testing this week end and maybe next, will post results. 

Your right too, the back side cooling is the thing to focus on.  Copper MPU coolers do a real good job if you want something easy for liquid cooling.  They are about $12 on ebay.  I use an MPU cooler with the same TEC to cool a whole flea camera to 0c very easily.   I included the water jacket in the case for my CAM84, but the the metal between the water and TEC is pretty thin, which is the key.  You also want to lap the surfaces together to minimize space and of course use some good heat sink compound.

#994 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

Finished the working assembly of the camera today and just tested the TEC cooling.

One stage cooler I mentioned earlier.  My controller is currently limited to about -14c or so.  The camera cooled to that level without issue. 

Starting temp was 20c with the water cooling on and circulating.  That gives an easy delta of 34c.

If I have clear sky's tonight will try to get it on the telescope.   Will probably be a few more days before I can finich up another controller with a lower limit. 

• pbunn, ahend and gehelem like this

#995 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:17 AM

Mechanical parts of the housing are almost finished. Still to do some anodising.

cam84_cc.jpg

cam84_back.jpg

cam84_cc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by flolic, 09 July 2016 - 02:20 AM.

• gregj888, tjay, wasyoungonce and 5 others like this

#996 WSG

WSG

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

wonderfull designed and manufactured.

• flolic likes this

#997 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Looks to be Cam86 is now out.  Major improvements including ATmega328, cooling control, different AD converter and much more.  I was doing CAD drawing for Cam85m....about 1/2 way thru them, suffice to say, Cam85m is dead, long live Cam86.  ;)

Looks great.

Well done hippieua and to all guys at astroclub.kiev! :waytogo:

#998 ahend

ahend

Vostok 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

Mechanical parts of the housing are almost finished. Still to do some anodising.

Nicely done, fit and finish are excellent!

Tell me, what type of glass are you using for the entrance port? Is it coated?

Edited by ahend, 10 July 2016 - 08:29 AM.

• flolic likes this

#999 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kiev, UA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

to flolic:

How much weight your camera housing?

#1000 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

Nicely done, fit and finish are excellent!

Tell me, what type of glass are you using for the entrance port? Is it coated?

Glass is Rocolax UVIR block filter from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171987899085

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics