•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1207 replies to this topic

#1001 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

to flolic:

How much weight your camera housing?

Housing alone is 460 grams. I expect completed camera not to exceed 650 grams.

#1002 Superdude68

Superdude68

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Runcorn, England

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Looks to be Cam86 is now out.  Major improvements including ATmega328, cooling control, different AD converter and much more.  I was doing CAD drawing for Cam85m....about 1/2 way thru them, suffice to say, Cam85m is dead, long live Cam86.  ;)

Looks great.

Well done hippieua and to all guys at astroclub.kiev! :waytogo:

Hello everyone,  is there any chance you could post the Cam86 files because I can't seem to get them from Astro club.Kiev cheers

#1003 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

:waytogo:

Hello everyone,  is there any chance you could post the Cam86 files because I can't seem to get them from Astro club.Kiev cheers

I had no trouble downloading them but I had to use the original page not the translated page.    Just note that there are no ASCOM files posted for cam86 yet and some minor fixes have already been done since posting.  As for the Atmega328I didn't see any ISP connector on the PCB...just guessing its programmed thru USB/RS232.  Also haven't seen any ASCOM driver for this.

I also would like to see hippieua post them up here, or link to them, but he may want a different thread for this.  :flowerred:

Brendan

#1004 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kiev, UA

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:36 AM

Actually there is no ASCOM driver for CAM86 now.
It will be ready soon (=~1month, when I'll made my own cam86 and perform some dev & test work with it).
I'll or hippieua keep you posted.

• gregj888 and gehelem like this

#1005 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

Actually there is no ASCOM driver for CAM86 now.
It will be ready soon (=~1month, when I'll made my own cam86 and perform some dev & test work with it).
I'll or hippieua keep you posted.

Many thanks Sergiy...we await with gratitude.   Oh and well done and many thanks

Brendan

#1006 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone knows the best gain and offset settings of the baud rate to cam84v3.1, I can not pull signal on the weak parts of the nebulae, I have also placed more than 20 minutes long each, I can only capture light of stars, nebulae and galaxies do not go !!! why?? thanks again to all

#1007 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Please look for our old listing attentively.
I've talked you how to adjust gain-offset earlier.

"For gain-offset settings:

With my cam8 I'm shooting with maximal gain = 63 (increase SNR for faint objects (nebulaes, galaxies), but makes burnt bright stars).
Place camera to black box and try do adjust offset.
You need to achieve bias frames with histogram starting from =~ 800 ADC counts. Be aware, this setting is dependent from sensor temperature.

With this settings you will be sure that faint objects will not be cut off by ADC."

#1008 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

CCD holder is finished :)

cam84_ccd1.jpg

cam84_ccd.jpg

cam84_pelt1.jpg

• gregj888, wasyoungonce, mdavister and 5 others like this

#1009 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

@sergiy/hippieua :

i'm trying to port your Delphi code into C to use it with Indi library under linux.

http://indilib.org/

Do you mind if i publish my code on github ?

it doesn't work for now and i've requested help on indi forum, as i'm really a noob playing with stuff i do not control...

Gilles

#1010 hippieua

hippieua

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Kiev

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

@sergiy/hippieua :

i'm trying to port your Delphi code into C to use it with Indi library under linux.

it doesn't work for now and i've requested help on indi forum, as i'm really a noob playing with stuff i do not control...

Gilles

Sure, but maybe better to keep all the code under one repo ?

#1011 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

@sergiy/hippieua :

Gilles

Sure, but maybe better to keep all the code under one repo ?

thank you,

yes it would be better, but i'm not familiar with all that git stuff, and would be afraid to mess it up

i'll  keep you informed here, and once it works (if it work someday...)  we will merge

Gilles

#1012 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

okay, 

if anyone wants to follow the "linux/indi" subject :

http://indilib.org/f...ccd-driver.html

#1013 dholler

dholler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

What will be the means and location of materials for moisture absorption?  How easily can they be changed?  In cameras with deep cooling, it is particularly important to isolate the ccd chamber from the other electronics.  This isolation achieves 2 main goals.  It prevents moisture from the cold finger from corroding other components in the camera.  It isolates heat from the pcb components from the ccd chip.  And, it helps in electronic noise isolation. 

My apology for only now seeing this thread.

#1014 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

One or two small packs of fresh silica gel are all that is needed to control moisture and prevent condensation. But camera housing must be absolutely sealed.

On my camera only sensor will be sealed in its own chamber, PCB will be open to the ambient. I will fill the sensor chamber with Argon gas and also include some desiccant sheets.

#1015 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

M15 leggero poki kbt 3.jpg

• gregj888, Toups, dholler and 3 others like this

#1016 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hello to all !!! I want to thank those who designed this room ccd and all those who gave me advice for the construction of this CCD, in these last few evenings I took this photo of the M15 are 13 photos from 600 seconds with dark flat bias, processed with DSS, one newton 10 "f4,8, and cam 84 v.3.1,

• Toups, 1E1HFPPE and Zoroastro like this

#1017 mdavister

mdavister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

That looks very cool!  I really like the design.

#1018 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Very interesting design.  Mounting the CCD in its own cold chamber directly connected to the TEC rather than a cold finger from behind the board certainly has lots of merit.  Will investigate an implementation with the standard rectangular case.  You definitely have me thinking in a new direction!

Edited by Toups, 04 August 2016 - 09:22 PM.

#1019 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

Able to cut the 40mm square TEC to a 20mm by 40mm rectangular TEC so it will fit under the CCD sensor.  I used an electric tile saw that uses a diamond wheel with water cooling.  Managed to cut in the correct direction and solder a new wire on, although it did come off once after too much rough handling.

Tried a quick test and the aluminum case is not enough of a heat sink, it just keeps getting warmer so it looks like a water cooling block is needed under the TEC and CCD.  A quick search on google did not come up with any cheap cooling blocks that are 20mm by 40 mm with connections coming out of the 20mm side.  Looks like I'll have to fabricate something from the 1.5 inch by 0.25 inch thick copper bar stock I bought.  Thinking of just trying a series of simple drilled holes.

Been playing with an Arduino Uno for the Peltier controller.  Easy way and cheap way to get a controller.  They are so cheap, I can't justify not using one.  So far I have been playing with the temperature sensors DS18B20U (leveraging parts of the design and drivers given on hippieua's site,  modified to support my debugging and testing).  I actually got sensors in the uSOP packages and managed to deadbug wire them.  Makes for a small sensor!  Used some nail polish to protect the contacts and I am happy with the results so far.sensor.jpg

#1020 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:49 PM

One key to cooling is the backside cooling of the Peltier.  Even with water cooling you want the copper or aluminum as thin as you can get it.  Mine isn't great, but isn't bad.

If you can mill out the copper block and solder a cover sheet over it, that's probably best.

5-8 watts at -20c can be 30 watts or more at the back side and you want to keep the temperature rise to a minimum: a degree or 3c.  The thermal conductivity of alloys also vary a lot even with the same base metal, worth checking.

• wasyoungonce likes this

#1021 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

One key to cooling is the backside cooling of the Peltier.  Even with water cooling you want the copper or aluminum as thin as you can get it.  Mine isn't great, but isn't bad.

If you can mill out the copper block and solder a cover sheet over it, that's probably best.

5-8 watts at -20c can be 30 watts or more at the back side and you want to keep the temperature rise to a minimum: a degree or 3c.  The thermal conductivity of alloys also vary a lot even with the same base metal, worth checking.

:waytogo:  Thanks for the tips.  Those are very good points!

#1022 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

My new image from cam8:

2016_05_M101-ed80-cam83-x53-small.jpg

Fullsize: http://blog.astroccd...0-cam83-x53.jpg
M101 Pinwheel Galaxy from 1, 3-5, 10 may 2016. Remote observatory near Kiev. Cam8, SW ED80 PRO + 0.85x SW FFR on NEQ6; guide — CAM10 + 50×9 SW finder.
Stacked 53 subs x 1200s, final exposure- 17hr

• wasyoungonce, Toups, R Botero and 3 others like this

#1023 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Sergy, Grim can I ask please.  Is the Cam86 DD5 an ATMega328 or ATMega328P?

We are following your work and are getting close to building.  There are 3 or us in Australia doing this.

Also we are discussing evacuating the case to boil off moisture then backfilling with an inert gas.   We ask, will the sensor glass coverslip survive vacuum?

Many thanks and keep up the good work,

Brendan and all the Cam86 IIS team.

#1024 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

I suggest to use ATMega328P in cam86. According to official AT15007 doc:

http://www.atmel.com...ote_AT15007.pdf

"Note: Code compiled for ATmega328 variants are compatible and can be executed in the ATmega328PB device. Whereas, reverse code compatibility is not guaranteed."

ATMega328P is a newest MCU and it's fully compatible with old ATMega328. So if you use ATMega328P camera will work with existing FW code.

The glass over the ICX453 sensor is glued securely. But I know of one case where the sensor gets wet and fogged under glass...

So I can't guarantee that sensor keep survive after vacuum in case.

I also faced with dew in my cam8. But I've not solved this. I want to try not to tear off the aluminum plate from the sensor and use it as a cold finger on front of camera (as it done for old rectangular QHY8). I think this help eliminate moisure. But this is only an idea. I have not tried yet. Now my cam8 is dead due to moisture inside :).

• wasyoungonce likes this

#1025 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Sergiy, I'll pass one the information

Brendan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics