•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1182 replies to this topic

#1051 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land Downunder

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:52 AM

Superdude....I can send you an xls file on this pm me your email.  I'll throw in document drawings etc.

Brendan

• Superdude68 likes this

#1052 pagpatrice

pagpatrice

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:57 AM

Hi, is anybody making the Cam86 because I would like a little help please..my problem is the values of all the resistors on the BOM.xls. please could someone explain them to me...

My bom with value and ref Mouser

https://drive.google...ew?pref=2&pli=1
  • Superdude68 likes this

#1053 Superdude68

Superdude68

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Runcorn, England

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

Thanks,  here is my email superdude68@gmail.com and again thanks

#1054 Superdude68

Superdude68

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Runcorn, England

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

Superdude....I can send you an xls file on this pm me your email.  I'll throw in document drawings etc.

Brendan

Anything you have that will help me would be appreciated.

#1055 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Super dude...Email sent to your account.  Look it'd be nice to know your first name for correspondence!  Old fashioned I know ;)

Also..edit your above post email link.   Forums cam be farmed for email addresses and you never know who's reading and watching.

Brendan

edit:

**** forgot the BOM...sensing it now.

Edited by wasyoungonce, 28 September 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#1056 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kenilworth GB

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

I think I'm feeling dense today!  I'm looking at the schematic for cam86 dated 06.07.2016 (is that the latest?) and don't understand what VT2 and VT3 are doing in relation to the +15V supply - especially as the gate of VT2 is driven by the PD7 pin of the ATMega328.

I think the output from VT3 (net name UPS) only goes to R9 which feeds the opamp supply and to pin 22 of the sensor.   Is this line chopped by the CPU? If so why is is also used to power the opamp - I'd have thought you'd want a stable supply for that?

A bonus if anyone can tell me where the -7V supply comes from.  I can find a -8V supply but not -7V!  The datasheet for the CXD1267 suggests to me that pin 16 should be supplied by the -8V supply.

Thanks

Dave

#1057 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:02 AM

I'm surprised at the use of X5R caps in the design especially after seeing comments about wishing to increase some of the capacitor values.   However I'm sure that there's a good reason ...

I believe that using X7R would give a higher effective capacity value (allowing for voltage derating) with only marginal cost impact.   In some cases you might need to use 1210 size rather than 1206.

Could someone who knows this design better than I (pretty much everyone I guess) please comment?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by perdrix, 29 September 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#1058 osult

osult

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hi Brendan,

I have been watching the CAM 86 project on both the Ukranian site and the thread you have on ICEINSPACE. I similarly have struggled to identify the latest BOM and circuit diagram and Gerber files etc. Is there any chance you can post the latest versions on this thread?

Thanks

Tom

#1059 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Same for me : winter is coming, i need a new indoor activity
Gilles

#1060 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

I think I'm feeling dense today!  I'm looking at the schematic for cam86 dated 06.07.2016 (is that the latest?) and don't understand what VT2 and VT3 are doing in relation to the +15V supply - especially as the gate of VT2 is driven by the PD7 pin of the ATMega328.

I think I may have worked it out.   Is that turned on when taking a picture and off otherwise?

Dave,

#1061 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

righe.jpg

#1062 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hello everyone, sorry to bother you, does anyone know why they always go these annoying vertical lines, often more from a side of the CCD, the CCD is cooled to 10 degrees below zero, I can not understand why this problem

#1063 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

I think the output from VT3 (net name UPS) only goes to R9 which feeds the opamp supply and to pin 22 of the sensor.   Is this line chopped by the CPU? If so why is is also used to power the opamp - I'd have thought you'd want a stable supply for that?

A bonus if anyone can tell me where the -7V supply comes from.  I can find a -8V supply but not -7V!  The datasheet for the CXD1267 suggests to me that pin 16 should be supplied by the -8V supply.

Thanks

Dave

Yep...to cut off video amp pwr when not needed....aka less video thermal noise?

The -8V/-7V are the same...just a typo

Tom/Gilles...just PM me an email address and I can shoot off:BOM; Gerbers; schematic pdf.   But, I urge you both to join one of the forums to have input.   I have the cam86 in Eagle PCB CAD (almost exact copies of the Ukrainian Gerbers but some small differences) but its no use sending them unless you use this CAD ....unless of course you just want them.   Again it would be better to be interactive on a forum Like IIS or the Ukrainian forum.  Also if you join IIS, we have a google drive with interactive:Parts pdfs; BOM; Eagle CAD files; original schematic pdf.  Every CAD drawing change is logged and explained.  It makes it easy to see progression.

Dave.....you are correct.   You have to remember this design morphed from cam84 thru a couple of design changes to cam86 and there were left over design parts that probably should have changed.  Like the capacitors mentioned.  Also the designers went from a bigger G107 case to the G106 which really restricted size.   The Cam86 in the G106 is a little cramped!  Even for my liking.

Brendan

#1064 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone, sorry to bother you, does anyone know why they always go these annoying vertical lines, often more from a side of the CCD, the CCD is cooled to 10 degrees below zero, I can not understand why this problem

archimede...I haven't built one yet so I cannot help but I suspect Grim will be along and help on this.  However, he will need to know which cam this is...is it cam84? cam85m...cam86?  Might be best to edit your post with some more info. :waytogo:

Brendan

#1065 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

I was visting the Ukraine Astro forum thread, and saw a version using an ICX493 sensor.  Is that a future development?

#1066 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:09 AM

archimede...I haven't built one yet so I cannot help but I suspect Grim will be along and help on this.  However, he will need to know which cam this is...is it cam84? cam85m...cam86?  Might be best to edit your post with some more info. :waytogo:

Brendan

hello, I'm looking to try using other acquisition software, to see if the problem was the acquisition of software, or a problem on the CCD circuit, the CCD is the cam84 round v.3.1, these strips come out more accentuated after the sum and image processing, and always occur on that side, on all other areas of the CCD images are perfect

#1067 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:41 AM

hello, I'm looking to try using other acquisition software, to see if the problem was the acquisition of software, or a problem on the CCD circuit, the CCD is the cam84 round v.3.1, these strips come out more accentuated after the sum and image processing, and always occur on that side, on all other areas of the CCD images are perfect

archimede...from what I have read...and seen on the Ukrainian forum...check your gain and offset (ASCOM settings) of the camera.  I think try gain between 0 to 10 and  offset to ~125 ...see here post#1800.  Aslo try gain 0 offset 4, see here post#1872.  The Gain and offset are very particular and need optimised setting.  Grim is been over this alot but...I cannot find his posts on this.   Maybe we need a fauts page on Google Drive or Github.

Also what did you cover your sensor with?  IR energy can pass thru plastics etc.  Maybe try a foil wrap (make sure it doesn't short out the PCB.  I guessing the gain and offset are wrong.

Brendan

#1068 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

I was visting the Ukraine Astro forum thread, and saw a version using an ICX493 sensor.  Is that a future development?

Dave....I'm guessing by the noise they made on the Ukrainian forum and excitement generated.....yes but it'll be a way off yet.  I believe these sensors are more readily available and more modern.  More than one person is playing with them now.  See post #1871..   

https://translate.go...1880&edit-text=

https://translate.go...hjudw#msg531605

Get ready for another mad ebay rush for these sensors! :lol:

That said...once I get one of the ICX453AQ's working I'll be de-bayering the 2nd...a whole brave new world! ;)

Brendan

edit:

Ohh...mutter mutter for some reason I cannot post the link correctly it keeps defaulting to the next page...I give up!  The Ukrainian forum is real difficult to navigate and has many versions of cameras in discussion all at once...sight.

Edited by wasyoungonce, 30 September 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#1069 KemalOz

KemalOz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:17 AM

Thanks

Dave

Yep...to cut off video amp pwr when not needed....aka less video thermal noise?

The -8V/-7V are the same...just a typo

Tom/Gilles...just PM me an email address and I can shoot off:BOM; Gerbers; schematic pdf.   But, I urge you both to join one of the forums to have input.   I have the cam86 in Eagle PCB CAD (almost exact copies of the Ukrainian Gerbers but some small differences) but its no use sending them unless you use this CAD ....unless of course you just want them.   Again it would be better to be interactive on a forum Like IIS or the Ukrainian forum.  Also if you join IIS, we have a google drive with interactive:Parts pdfs; BOM; Eagle CAD files; original schematic pdf.  Every CAD drawing change is logged and explained.  It makes it easy to see progression.

Dave.....you are correct.   You have to remember this design morphed from cam84 thru a couple of design changes to cam86 and there were left over design parts that probably should have changed.  Like the capacitors mentioned.  Also the designers went from a bigger G107 case to the G106 which really restricted size.   The Cam86 in the G106 is a little cramped!  Even for my liking.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I'm also interested with this project, I have sent to you a PM.

#1070 osult

osult

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:15 AM

Thank You Brendan,

PM sent

Tom

#1071 gehelem

gehelem

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:25 AM

yes,thanks, + PM sent

i'm already following you on IIS, you're right, i'll subscribe it will be easier

Gilles.

#1072 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Ok Gents I think I've replied to all.  If I missed someone sing out!  Good to see interest.  again many thanks to Grim and Vakulenko from Ukraine for sharing.

Brendan

#1073 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:57 AM

I have the same board (cam84 v3.1 round PCB) and doesn't have those vertical strips. There are other imperfections and patterns on subframes, but they disappear after proper calibration.

This is M33 image from the last night, 8x900s exposure, gain 63 and offset 12. Sensor temperature -10C.

M33_crop_no_UVIR_reduced_stars.jpg

Edited by flolic, 30 September 2016 - 06:22 AM.

• wasyoungonce, ahend and archimede like this

#1074 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

at the beginning he had not this defect of the vertical lines on the left, then gradually ground that used began to come out, today I found that with uncooled sensor does not occur, however as it is cooled lines increase in intensity, I have to review well all power stages and to separate it from the power supply to the cooling of the ccd room, and then I also want to experience the gain and offset settings, which I always used to gain 20 and offset 4, the gain does not i used it more than 20 because otherwise come out the stars of green and too saturated, however, these days i will make these tests, thanks as always for your advice !!! thank you and let you know how it went ..

#1075 BGRE

BGRE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:04 AM

Light emission from the output amplifier??

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics