•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1195 replies to this topic

#1176 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:20 AM

Ive read what I could on this subject, and am very interested in pursuing either a cam84 or cam86. The soldering and salvage of a chip seems straightforward for my skillset, the programming seems clear enough, but sourcing a circuit board is new to me. Do I typically have to order a batch of 10 for a project like this, and just email the company the circuit diagram files?

#1177 BGRE

BGRE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:48 AM

Usually the PCB design files are submitted to the PCB manufacturer. There is a lot of free PCB design software (eg KiCad developed and used by CERN) out there as well as the canned PCB design software that some provide that is specific to a particular PCB supplier. Then there's Eagle PCB software and Altium PCB software.

Usually a multilayer (at least 4) board is used for such cameras.

The circuit diagram by itself is insufficient to guarantee  a usable PCB, details such as placement of various supply bypass capacitors  can be critical to avoid ringing and other deleterious effects on the various waveforms resulting in image artifacts etc.

#1178 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

UW, I sent you a PM... 

I have a few CAM-86 boards out of my build.  Figure $4 per board plus postage but I only have three extras.

Greg

Edited by gregj888, 10 August 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#1179 Steinpilz

Steinpilz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Duisburg

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Greetings all together,
i build a CAM84 some month ago - which works ok (haven’t tried it a lot till now). Since there is no Peltier cooling onboard i build the Arduino-version which is supported by the Ascom-driver. Sadly, it’s not working well and i hope you can help me with it or give advices.

First of all, i don’t run the original version of the Arduino-program (http://astroccd.org/...03/tec_control/) since i don’t want to use the DS18B. I’m using a NTC which works really fine (with my own program). I altered the readout of the external temperature sensor in the program to use the temperature of the NTC.
Now my problem: 98% of the time i get an error from the Ascom driver that there is an error with the temperature controller when connecting. Sometimes it all works and the correct temperature is displayed and the cooler is working well.
I’m not so good at coding and don’t have any idea how the Ascom driver works... so if anyone has a good idea - i would be really glad.
You can find my script here: https://uni-duisburg...ZCaOc4kLeChchNY

Best regards and clear skies
Tobias

• R Botero likes this

#1180 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berkshire UK

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone offer me some boards , pre-populated or not , so I can get started asap please ?. I have a sensor on order and previous experience building ccd cameras but always tend to get stuck doing the pcb. I also have the housing, tec and a tec pid controller. I'd love to give it a go with some other sensors I have too.

Many thanks

Mike in the UK.

#1181 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

Further  to this topic, the content at astroccd.org seems old - 2015 or so. Is that a reflection of the state of the design and chip sets or is this still well supported by vendors for parts and potentially newer ccd s? 

#1182 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Further to this topic, the content at astroccd.org seems old - 2015 or so. Is that a reflection of the state of the design and chip sets or is this still well supported by vendors for parts and potentially newer ccd s?

Mike,

I can help you if you need me to. The boards you just need to send gerbers off for mfr. A place I use alot is called pcbtrain. The parts we ordered were from farnell and mouser. If you need a hand let me know.

#1183 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

TX. Pm sent

#1184 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

Hello everyone.
  I have been following this thread, as well as the others of astroccd and IIS related to the CAM86 project. I thank you for the great job you have done. The doubt that I have, after reading them in both places and for the modifications that have been introduced in this time, is to know which is the most recent version. So I would be very grateful if you could tell me where I can download the latest project information, schematic, gerbers, drivers, etc ...

Thanks in advance.

#1185 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

http://astroccd.org/2016/10/cam86/

#1186 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

Thanks Greg for the reply, but I already knew the site.

What I was referring to is that during this time several modifications have been made to the original project, for example the one related to the control of refrigeration, even in this thread, a version attributed to the IIS team is mentioned as the most recent than the original project, even with a new PCB version, the problem is that I have not managed to find it.

What I want to know is if someone can guide me to the latest version of the project.

Thanks, again.

Edited by mlago, 09 January 2019 - 03:00 AM.

#1187 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

mlago, since they publish the schematics and board layouts, there's an opportunity for others to modify the design some.  Maybe someone else here may know.

Check that site and see if there's a messaging capability and ask there. 

I've thought about changing the layout so several sensors could be mounted shoulder to shoulder in a mosaic.  Not sure I would ever do it, but a 2x2 or 2x3 array would be kind of fun.

• LarsMalmgren likes this

#1188 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:49 AM

Thank you very much greg for your interest, I will ask there.

Greetings!!

#1189 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

I am still back on cam84.  As you can see it is still work in progress.  I've borrowed lots of nice ideas from this thread.  Rather than a copper cold finger, I have decided to use a Peltier cooler backed by a water cooling block.

Here is my third attempt at a water cooling block during fabrication.  A brass cover was then soldered over the block and brass tubes and a brass hose barb (cut into into pieces) were soldered to the tubes.

cooling_block.jpg

Here are the parts for the cooling and case assembly. Note multiple layers of "sockets" are used to get the clearance needed to be able to insert the cooling block and Peltier cooler under the CCD.  See https://www.cloudyni...mera/?p=6905960 regarding "socket" options.  I am using the cheapest option and needed to do some surgery on the sockets to extract the length of pins needed.

parts.jpg

And now assembled.  Need to use stiffer foam under the assembly and add thermal paste.

partial_assembly.jpg

Here is the block that will mount over the CCD and cooling assembly.

trial_assembly.jpg

Of course, the wood block needs to be sealed and painted.  A key feature is the ring is from an inexpensive Nikon flavor macro extension ring set and was epoxied into a groove in the wood assembly.  So I can add a Nikon mounting flange and use Nikon mount bellows.  Expect to need to add a hold down for the CCD and allow the CCD to be adjusted.

Still lots to do, may add a 2" filter ring to seal the CCD chamber and should carve a place to add desiccants.

I have some M42 helicoid focusers and M42 to Nikon adapters (of both flavors) so I have lots of options for attachment.

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, without cooling there is significant read noise in this project.  Before cooling I was a bit concerned about the level of noise present but I found that once implementing cooling this noise is greatly reduced.

Too many projects, too little time.

• R Botero likes this

#1190 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

Toups,

Looks good.  In the future you can order an GPU or CPU water block for a few dollars off of Ebay.  I've used those for several projects now.  Make sure you get copper...

https://www.ebay.com...5wAAMXQeKNTK66X

#1191 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

Toups,

Looks good.  In the future you can order an GPU or CPU water block for a few dollars off of Ebay.  I've used those for several projects now.  Make sure you get copper...

https://www.ebay.com...5wAAMXQeKNTK66X

Thanks, but I searched high and low; the smallest water block I could find is 40 mm x 40 mm but I need a 20 mm x 40 mm block to fit under the CCD.

Edited by Toups, 19 March 2019 - 08:01 PM.

• gregj888 likes this

#1192 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, but I searched high and low; the smallest water block I could find is 40 mm x 40 mm but I need a 20 mm x 40 mm block to fit under the CCD.

I can make you one very easily. Let me know.

• Toups likes this

#1193 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Thanks very much, but I managed to make one that I am currently happy with.  The reason it took 3 tries is that I first tried to make one that used a single copper block and drilled channels but used too fine a copper tubing and with a bad soldering job closed the passageways too much.  The second I have and works nicely but used two thicknesses of the copper block and is thicker than I really wanted.  The third variant used channels in the copper and a brass cover sheet and that is the one pictured in the post.

Thanks again.

#1194 axsdenied

axsdenied

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Greg for the reply, but I already knew the site.

What I was referring to is that during this time several modifications have been made to the original project, for example the one related to the control of refrigeration, even in this thread, a version attributed to the IIS team is mentioned as the most recent than the original project, even with a new PCB version, the problem is that I have not managed to find it.

What I want to know is if someone can guide me to the latest version of the project.

Thanks, again.

The IIS thread is here and a very active thread (in French, google translate is your friend) is here.

You can ask questions there about the latest PCBs.

#1195 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

I am at least several months out to assembling my cam86, I may start sourcing the components this or next month, my question is regarding the oscilloscope readings that I am supposed to compare... I've used them in school, I can probably get a basic one, but do I really need it aside from yup, these readings match? Aside from diagnosing problems when it does not work, I do not see any components on the board to tune.

#1196 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

UW,

I'm up in your area a lot.  If it turns out you need access to a scope, send me a PM.

You can do 90% of the debugging with a digi-probe/logic probe, if you have access to one of them.

The signals to the CCD chould look a lot like the ones for the Cam85.  There are traces on the CCD web site and a thread here on SN.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics