•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1187 replies to this topic

#1176 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:20 AM

Ive read what I could on this subject, and am very interested in pursuing either a cam84 or cam86. The soldering and salvage of a chip seems straightforward for my skillset, the programming seems clear enough, but sourcing a circuit board is new to me. Do I typically have to order a batch of 10 for a project like this, and just email the company the circuit diagram files?

#1177 BGRE

BGRE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:48 AM

Usually the PCB design files are submitted to the PCB manufacturer. There is a lot of free PCB design software (eg KiCad developed and used by CERN) out there as well as the canned PCB design software that some provide that is specific to a particular PCB supplier. Then there's Eagle PCB software and Altium PCB software.

Usually a multilayer (at least 4) board is used for such cameras.

The circuit diagram by itself is insufficient to guarantee  a usable PCB, details such as placement of various supply bypass capacitors  can be critical to avoid ringing and other deleterious effects on the various waveforms resulting in image artifacts etc.

#1178 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

UW, I sent you a PM... 

I have a few CAM-86 boards out of my build.  Figure $4 per board plus postage but I only have three extras.

Greg

Edited by gregj888, 10 August 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#1179 Steinpilz

Steinpilz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Duisburg

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Greetings all together,
i build a CAM84 some month ago - which works ok (haven’t tried it a lot till now). Since there is no Peltier cooling onboard i build the Arduino-version which is supported by the Ascom-driver. Sadly, it’s not working well and i hope you can help me with it or give advices.

First of all, i don’t run the original version of the Arduino-program (http://astroccd.org/...03/tec_control/) since i don’t want to use the DS18B. I’m using a NTC which works really fine (with my own program). I altered the readout of the external temperature sensor in the program to use the temperature of the NTC.
Now my problem: 98% of the time i get an error from the Ascom driver that there is an error with the temperature controller when connecting. Sometimes it all works and the correct temperature is displayed and the cooler is working well.
I’m not so good at coding and don’t have any idea how the Ascom driver works... so if anyone has a good idea - i would be really glad.
You can find my script here: https://uni-duisburg...ZCaOc4kLeChchNY

Best regards and clear skies
Tobias

• R Botero likes this

#1180 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berkshire UK

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone offer me some boards , pre-populated or not , so I can get started asap please ?. I have a sensor on order and previous experience building ccd cameras but always tend to get stuck doing the pcb. I also have the housing, tec and a tec pid controller. I'd love to give it a go with some other sensors I have too.

Many thanks

Mike in the UK.

#1181 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

Further  to this topic, the content at astroccd.org seems old - 2015 or so. Is that a reflection of the state of the design and chip sets or is this still well supported by vendors for parts and potentially newer ccd s? 

#1182 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Further to this topic, the content at astroccd.org seems old - 2015 or so. Is that a reflection of the state of the design and chip sets or is this still well supported by vendors for parts and potentially newer ccd s?

Mike,

I can help you if you need me to. The boards you just need to send gerbers off for mfr. A place I use alot is called pcbtrain. The parts we ordered were from farnell and mouser. If you need a hand let me know.

#1183 skybadger

skybadger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

TX. Pm sent

#1184 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

Hello everyone.
  I have been following this thread, as well as the others of astroccd and IIS related to the CAM86 project. I thank you for the great job you have done. The doubt that I have, after reading them in both places and for the modifications that have been introduced in this time, is to know which is the most recent version. So I would be very grateful if you could tell me where I can download the latest project information, schematic, gerbers, drivers, etc ...

Thanks in advance.

#1185 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

http://astroccd.org/2016/10/cam86/

#1186 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

Thanks Greg for the reply, but I already knew the site.

What I was referring to is that during this time several modifications have been made to the original project, for example the one related to the control of refrigeration, even in this thread, a version attributed to the IIS team is mentioned as the most recent than the original project, even with a new PCB version, the problem is that I have not managed to find it.

What I want to know is if someone can guide me to the latest version of the project.

Thanks, again.

Edited by mlago, 09 January 2019 - 03:00 AM.

#1187 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

mlago, since they publish the schematics and board layouts, there's an opportunity for others to modify the design some.  Maybe someone else here may know.

Check that site and see if there's a messaging capability and ask there. 

I've thought about changing the layout so several sensors could be mounted shoulder to shoulder in a mosaic.  Not sure I would ever do it, but a 2x2 or 2x3 array would be kind of fun.

#1188 mlago

mlago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:49 AM

Thank you very much greg for your interest, I will ask there.

Greetings!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics