•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[DIY] Astro CCD 16-bit Color 6Mpx Camera

astrophotography ccd DIY equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1236 replies to this topic

#1201 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

Do I really need an oscilloscope for this? I'd like to avoid that expense, especially when it seems I am looking at aroud $700 for the scope and probes.

If you need help in that department, let me know and we'll figure something out.  If still at the U, they have a bunch.  So no, you shouldn't...  PM me if stuck...

#1202 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

20190816_110639_HDR_compress23.jpg 20190816_110654_HDR_compress83.jpg

Any quantitative differencesbetween these two? One is from a D40, the other a D70s The label on the back of each is a bit different, aside from the 453 and the 4 dots on the package for the D40

Edited by UWastronomer, 16 August 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#1203 Aethelstan

Aethelstan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

Hello all, I found this thread after I rescued a D50 and D70 from an e-waste bin and decided to make an astro cam. Finding this project has obviously saved me a lot of head scratching and I am more than up to building and fault finding the CAM86 circuit itself, but software wise I might find it challenging. My understanding is the D50 uses a newer and improved variant of the sensor found in the D70 and is also found in the D70s. Has anyone here used the newer sensor in CAM86? Would it be a straight swap, or require some changes to the software? My thinking is to use the D50 sensor, leaving me able to try and de-bayer the D70 sensor with nothing really to lose. Before I grabbed these I was planning on using a Pi Zero and Pi Camera, so I am sure you will understand my enthusiasm for making this work.

Thanks, and happy sky watching!

#1204 Spartinix

Spartinix

Viking 1

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

Seems challenging to me, never soldered also, but I do have a 12.8Mp 24x36mm sensor lying around.. Could it work?

#1205 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Seems challenging to me, never soldered also, but I do have a 12.8Mp 24x36mm sensor lying around.. Could it work?

Without knowing what sensor, no way to know, but probably not without at least some changes to the firmware.

If you have never soldered, this is not a good first project unless you get some help, IMHO.

#1206 telescoping

telescoping

Lift Off

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Does anyone have a PCB, or even better, a kit (complete or partial, working or nonfunctional), that (s)he might be willing to sell?

I have a D70 lying around, from which I could extract the sensor and finally put to some good use.

Thanks in advance.

#1207 tadsky

tadsky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:34 AM

Hello,

I am Terry Davis, I did at one tine have 3 boards, 3 ccds, 3 ccd verticle driver along with the 232 chips and AD's.  I am a disabled vet and sometimes have a hard time doing the simplest dang things and at times get sidetracked by months.  I have been trying to find them for about two weeks.  I have the bom in tact for three, I think.l  I would like to get two working and I am willing to give one up for collaboration the project.  I'll see if I can find them sometime this week.  But,  I do have them.

Best regards,

Terry

#1208 telescoping

telescoping

Lift Off

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

Hello,

I am Terry Davis, I did at one tine have 3 boards, 3 ccds, 3 ccd verticle driver along with the 232 chips and AD's.  I am a disabled vet and sometimes have a hard time doing the simplest dang things and at times get sidetracked by months.  I have been trying to find them for about two weeks.  I have the bom in tact for three, I think.l  I would like to get two working and I am willing to give one up for collaboration the project.  I'll see if I can find them sometime this week.  But,  I do have them.

Best regards,

Terry

Hello Terry - Welcome to this forum and thanks for responding to my post.

I actually found this thread pretty late. My original plan was to extract/salvage the sensor from my D70. If you already have a kit that you are willing to share, that would be great (I won't need to go through the excruciating and complicated process of salvaging the sensor).

Please take your time since there is no rush. When you find the kits, please let me know and I will PM you regarding money matters (cost, etc.).

Thank you for your service to our country.

#1209 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:06 PM

hi everyone, is there anyone who has done or knows how to change the driver so that you can use the cam84 v3.1 in binning 3x3 ??
I have an icx453aq monochrome debayering sensor, and I use a focal length of 2800mm, I would need much larger pixels ,, I thought if you could use 3x3 binning it would be perfect, does anyone know how to change it ?? thank you and good night everyone

#1210 Toups

Toups

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:46 PM

hi everyone, is there anyone who has done or knows how to change the driver so that you can use the cam84 v3.1 in binning 3x3 ??
I have an icx453aq monochrome debayering sensor, and I use a focal length of 2800mm, I would need much larger pixels ,, I thought if you could use 3x3 binning it would be perfect, does anyone know how to change it ?? thank you and good night everyone

Which driver are you trying to use?  There is an indi driver at https://github.com/g...tes_in_progress that I was working on.  It is still a work in progress.   However, binning wasn't working properly (at least in my branch.)  If I remember correctly, the binning is actually a software implementation.  So you might as well bin post imaging.

I suppose I could look at the binning functionality at some point in the future.

My cam84 camera is waiting further case improvements and testing.  (too many projects, too little time.)

P.S. Did you debayer the sensor?  If so, would you care to elaborate on the process?  Yet another project I have been considering.

#1211 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:21 PM

maybe I should use a focal reducer, so that I will lead to a resolution of about 1.6 arc seconds / pixel ,, maybe it is the best solution ,, and I can work in 2x2 bin ,,

on the debaierization it is not very advisable, because only one sensor has been successful ,, many have been destroyed ,,, too difficult the debayerization ,, and too difficult to remove the glass ,, they always break ,,, fortunately only one has been successful ,,,

#1212 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

hello everyone, does anyone know if there is an ascom driver variant for my round version (ascom cam 8s camera driver 1.0), to be compatible with interfacing with some automation software, such as N.I.N.A. Astrophotography ?? I can't get it to work with that software, the NINA software when I try to connect the camera connects but the gain offset baudrate settings options window cannot open and tells me that the driver is not optimized, I also did a test with ascom conform and the cam8s 1.0 driver gives me various errors, has anyone tried to modify the ascom driver ?? or is there a modified variant, or has it found an updated driver for the cam84 round version ??

Thanks to everyone and have a nice day !!

#1213 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:43 PM

archimede,

I haven't seen a round board, do you have a link?

Greg

#1214 N_DD

N_DD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Germany

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:49 PM

Try the 32-bit version of NINA: as far as I know the ASCOM driver is only 32 bit

#1215 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

archimede,

I haven't seen a round board, do you have a link?

Greg

hello Greeg, thanks for replying, the round pcb was the cam84 v3.1, which still works very well today !! I attach the link to page 17 of this forum, the ascom driver is the cam8s camera driver version 1.0, with the APT software it works very well, it connects perfectly, but with the NINA software it sometimes connects but never works, the gain offset settings box etc., when you press the button to make the shot it immediately goes into error, I tried both versions both 32-bit and 64-bit ,, but still with the 64-bit version it is obvious that it cannot work, it should work with the 32 bit one, I did a test with the ascom conform software, and it gives me 4 errors on the ascom driver of the ccd, but it has always given them since always, but with APT it has always worked well equally, even with nebulosity, etc ,,,
thank you and good evening

https://www.cloudyni...-camera/page-17

• ccs_hello and gregj888 like this

#1216 archimede

archimede

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

Try the 32-bit version of NINA: as far as I know the ASCOM driver is only 32 bit

hello N_DD, yes I tried in every way with the 32 bit NINA software ,, with 64 bit it cannot work with any software ,, the driver is 32 bit, but it doesn't work the same

#1217 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:15 PM

archimede, Thank you, I missed that when it came through.  Nina is quite new, you might ask the development team.

I'm moving away from Windows for my dedicated astronomy support computers (Linux and INDI) so won't be much help.

Greg

#1218 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

I have checked the parts list online from 2016, and it seems there are some missing details. Any suggestions for USB port parts for this camera? Power connectors? Board connectors rather than soldered connectors? There are a few undocumented details.

Also, I see the value for C12, C13, C14, but I do not know the other capacitor traits that are needed. Any details someone can spare as to what capacitor they used? Also, the crystal on my board was different from what that part list shows.

http://astroccd.org/...ments-cam86.xls

Edited by UWastronomer, 13 May 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#1219 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:24 PM

Figured it out, all set. Soldering the capacitors and resistors on now, going to move to check the voltage regulators after this.

#1220 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:09 AM

New question... Trying identify what component has no label. I am sure it is a capacitor.. wondering if it is one of the 'all other' larger SMT misc capacitors from the excel worksheet?

Answered: on a French diy cam website.

https://www.diycam.f...nte-sur-les-pcb

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2020-05-21-21-59-00~2_compress65.jpg

Edited by UWastronomer, 22 May 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#1221 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

I believe it's the larger set of pads and C33.  That's looking at the copper and the schematic, but you should verify it.

#1222 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

A few observations on my cam86 build so far:

The FTDI chip is not recognized unless I have the 12v power supply on.

Also, the FTDI, C37, and DD12 get pretty hot.

The serial ports are recognized by my computer. 

Took a thermal image of it, I checked the voltages on everything before attaching the chips... what is wrong here?

I know that the voltage regulators release the difference in voltage from the source to what it is supplying as heat, but how much is too much? And that Capacitor, it sure is getting hot for what must be 3.3v of ripple current.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200529_142909.jpg
  • img_thermal_1590787272281.jpg
  • img_thermal_1590787328492.jpg

Edited by UWastronomer, 29 May 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#1223 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

UW,

Everything is powered off the 12 volt line, so that makes sense.  Can you measure the 3.3v line? 

DD12 is the 3.3v regulator and looks like it powers DD1, DD2, DD3, DD6 and bias for the temp sensor. 

Give a good once over to all the resistors making sure the values are correct. Check the electrolytic caps, especially C37 for proper orientation.   Make sure all the ICs are in the right orientation especial DD2 and DD6.  If the board talks to the computer DD2 is likely OK.

Wild Guesses:

1  C-37 in backwards  (should not be getting hot but might hold on for a while at 3.3v if it is). **

2  DD6 in incorrectly (if so will need a new one) would cause a drain on 3.3v and not many other choices).

3  Small solder bridge on one of the fine pitch parts (solder job, normally the first guess, looks pretty good in the

photo BTW) If you used solder paste, maybe a ball stuck somewhere.

If you have a current limiting power supply, now is a good time to use it. 

Just guesses from the peanut gallery.

** the only thing I know of to get a Cap hot in a circuit like this are 1) in backwards and 2) osculation, which would be hard in this case with this and the other caps in place.  

#1224 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:51 PM

Not sure what else it could be... I am trying to use Mprog, and it was able to erase, I removed the virtual serial port option, but it cannot read... Says "error reading device in mprog 3.5".

I have no idea what I would replace on this board to make it work.

I added a heat sink to the 3.3v regulator (aluminum can snipped with thermal compound and heat shrink holding it in place) will add one to the other. I think I will try replacing dd2???... The chip still talksto the computer so. I just don't get it.

Update: I've taken dd6 and dd3 off... Changed the eeprom, no improvement. going to try resoldering the FTDI chip. After that, aside from changing out the FTDI chip, I have no idea what else will fix this, aside from maybe trying a different computer.

Well, out of options that I can think of, short of replacing the chip. Everything is soldered right. Still getting an error reading device message.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200529_165440.jpg

Edited by UWastronomer, 29 May 2020 - 09:44 PM.

#1225 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:48 PM

If you are going to remove something, take off C37 while and try it before putting the ICs back in.

Again, C37 shouldn't be getting warm, shouldn't be able to get warm...  

What's the voltage across c37?

Does it get hot when not connected to the computer?

Edited by gregj888, 29 May 2020 - 10:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, DIY, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics