•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FAQ: prime focus film astrophotography primer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

what most people don't realize is that Windows is a copy-cat of Apple's earlier OS's. IMHO a Windows OS will NEVER be superior to a Mac OS. the architecture is different and there's no 3rd party hardware to foul stuff up

it's just amazing what you can accomplish when all the internal hardware relates to itself

I should mention , in fairness, Mac OS X is based simply on UNIX (BSD from NexT Computing to be exact). So, Apple copied from a decades old OS to get OS X :)

Nothing like tried and true UNIX to base your GUI on.

I should also mention I have many years (10+ now...sheesh!) expeirence with Solaris 7, 8 and 9, AIX 4.x to 5.3, Windows NT 4.0 Server, 2000 Server and 2003 Server (of course not as much time on the newer ones).

Currently, because I'm prepared (firefox/thunderbird/etc etc), my personal XP laptop and XP workstations (2 of them) never go down or have spy ware/virus issues. Of course..I've prepared them and keep patches up to date, but not too up date :) , all automated. Our 2000 and 2003 servers have excellent uptimes as well, due to the same diligence. Of course for any enterprise level (thousands of power & simultaneous users) type application, don't use Windows servers. Linux is also decent for small scale stuff.

Oh, and to be really fair, I hostly beg anyone to claim to that the iTunes/iPod GUI client is a "good interface". How did that slip out into production?!

#27 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

It's not so much that OSX (or Unix) is all that great.. but rather the fact that Apple makes BOTh the hardware and OS create a seamless integration not found in other systems. This in turn allows OSX software to be more fully integrated, less likely to have conflicts, and more stable with the hardware. Of course, the price you pay is limited choice of hardware.. but if it has all you need... that's not an issue.

CF

PS: I love the iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iPod, iCal interface and seamless integration with OSX.

#28 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

Well, true to some extent. They now use Intel x86 chips, and the PowerPC is really an IBM processor, co-designed by a few firms (and used in AIX servers, nice). They also use the same nVidia and ATI chipsets wintel PC's use for video cards. The trackball/mouse combo is an Apple design/hardware component, and the dual DVD/CD burner drive (SuperDrive?) is "technically" designed by them, but I have one in my XP box (as do most people). Built in firewire is nice, I had to add a PCI firewire card to my box (I build them for myself).

I guess the interface/GUI thing is a perosnal choice, but my feeling is that with XP Microsoft finnaly has a decent OS, and I use off the shelf hardware for my own PC's, they stay up and working for years.

Believe me, I'm no fan of M$ , but I'll give them credit where credit is due, XP is decent if used in the right hands. Unfortunatley, most hands are not "right".

#29 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

This is wandering off topic, let's clip this sub-thread on computers.

Thanks,
Suk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics