•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific Mak Cass at NEAF

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Here's a photo I took of a 6-inch Mak-Cass on display in Explore Scientific's booth at NEAF. I did not get much detail on it. However, a friend asked and was told that it will be for sale soon, and soon thereafter it will be followed by an 8-inch version.

Anyone else learn more about this scope?

Attached Thumbnails

• ES-MakCass.jpg

• DaveG, Live_Steam_Mad, buddyjesus and 4 others like this

#2 tazer

tazer

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Pitts (NC)

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

It looks like they're using similar materials as their 6" Comet Hunter Mak-Newt, which wouldn't be surprising given the 6" MC is probably the same size. The OTA looks the same (then again all CF does right?), the OTA rings are the same, the corrector cell looks the same which means it will probably come with a dew cap or one will be offered (I'd be willing to bet the CH dew cap would fit it), and the same type finder scope shoe. If that's the 6" model then that's a 2" focuser, I believe.

I've been pinching my pennies waiting for interesting things to come out of NEAF and this is one I'm certainly interested in. Hopefully the price is right.

Mark

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Heard similar about an 8" coming also. How about the truss dobs coming out? Does JOC still have ties to Meade?

• George N likes this

#4 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Heard similar about an 8" coming also. How about the truss dobs coming out? Does JOC still have ties to Meade?

If I could just get a little good seeing around my area for 'planetary', I just might consider ES's 8" Mak (but then I'm currently grinding two 8-inch mirrors, and if those Newts turn out......)

I don't know anything about the Dobs...... and they did not have any for display this year. Maybe shipping from China makes them unprofitable?

JOC was beat out by Sunny for the purchase of Meade USA, so no connection there - but they own Meade Europe, which sells mostly the same products.

BTW, the Chinese Gov't assists JOC by paying for advise and consultation by two of the best optics professors in the country.

#5 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Does this scope have a fixed primary? I assume it does based on the external focuser but can't really tell if there is a primary mirror focuser knob hiding on the other side.

#6 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

Does this scope have a fixed primary? I assume it does based on the external focuser but can't really tell if there is a primary mirror focuser knob hiding on the other side.

I saw no mirror focusing knob, and another guy reports that the optics are fixed. I think the focuser was a rack & pinion.

• KevH likes this

#7 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hopefuly it's got a properly sized mirror and decent baffling.  If so it will set itself apart from the Synta models.

I want to know if it's a Rumak or Gregory design.  From the length of the tube I'm hoping it might be a Rumak f/12 like the Ioptron Mak, but with fixed primary and Crayford focuser.  That would be nice.

• KevH and jgroub like this

#8 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Sign me up!

#9 jgroub

jgroub

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:12 AM

I took a good look at it, so I might be able to throw some more info in here.  It's not a Rumak - it was a silver spot on the meniscus.  It's also 1900mm f/l, so that also works against it's being a Rumak.  And it was a dual speed two-inch external focuser, so there I would say that the mirror is fixed.  

Looks sweet.  I only hope that the carbon fiber model isn't the only one they're coming out with, because I would rather save money and get the cheaper metal-tubed version instead.  

#10 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:30 AM

I've seen a few Chinese 150/1900 Maks on various websites over the last few years but they "appeared" to be lower quality than the Synta 150/1800 model.

Presumably these new models will be up to the standard ES has set for itself with its other products, so I'll be watching with interest.

#11 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:18 AM

It's from JOC.

Somebody in China used an earlier version prototype and wasn't pleased.

Note the different mirror focuser and visual-back

http://imgur.com/a/H6lmS

Source:

http://www.astronomy...&fromuid=189607

Photos may not show up for Guest browsing

Edited by hardwarezone, 23 April 2015 - 03:29 AM.

• tazer likes this

#12 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Similar to this perhaps?

http://agenaastro.co...-telescope.html

#13 John P

John P

Messenger

• Loc: Irondequoit, NY USA

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Orion Optics, UK offers an 8" Mak-Cass along with their 140mm…very highly rated and very expensive.

• jgroub likes this

#14 tazer

tazer

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Can you elaborate on that at all?

Mark

#15 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Can you elaborate on that at all?

Mark

He claimed he couldn't see the basic 4 stars in m42 trapezium cluster with x0.63 reducer on and didn't like the narrow and dim views without the reducer.

It's his personal comments ,  it may be due to atmospheric conditions or other prototype issue.

#16 bobhen

bobhen

Vanguard

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

Using Carbon Fiber for these Maks is a terrible idea.  Unless they have multiple fans and vents and even removable sections of the back plate, they will NEVER cool down.

Without serious attention to cool down issues, thermals will ruin what these Maks are good at - high-power viewing. 

Bob

• Paul G, Patricko, Live_Steam_Mad and 3 others like this

#17 tazer

tazer

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

It's his personal comments ,  it may be due to atmospheric conditions or other prototype issue.

Thanks for elaborating. I agree, one person's review of a prototype isn't enough to come to a conclusion about anything. Just figured it would be interesting to hear a take on it.

Using Carbon Fiber for these Maks is a terrible idea.

I wondered about that as well. How does the CF thickness affect thermal equilibration of CF OTA's? Their MN offering has a CF tube which isn't very thick, maybe 1/8-3/16" at most, and this MC looks to be using the same materials.

Mark

#18 jgroub

jgroub

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Orion Optics, UK offers an 8" Mak-Cass along with their 140mm…very highly rated and very expensive.

Wow, you ain't just whistling Dixie!  4000 pounds?  Thanks, I'll have to pass.  

And 4000mm?  That's a pound a mm!  And also waaaay too much focal length at f/20 - that is one narrow FOV.  

#19 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hope the 8" will have cooling vents.........

#20 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

Without cooling vents it is a non-starter. My EdgeHD 8 takes a decent amount of time to cool and it has active cooling. MCTs take longer than SCTs and then on top of that adding carbon fiber to make matters worse? Doesn't make a lot of sense as it wouldn't fundamentally change the mounting requirements with the weight savings.

ES needs to take a step back and consider functionality over form.
  • Live_Steam_Mad and spongebob@55 like this

#21 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Without cooling vents it is a non-starter. My EdgeHD 8 takes a decent amount of time to cool and it has active cooling. MCTs take longer than SCTs and then on top of that adding carbon fiber to make matters worse? Doesn't make a lot of sense as it wouldn't fundamentally change the mounting requirements with the weight savings.

ES needs to take a step back and consider functionality over form.

All SCT/MCT manufacturers need to investigate this. They don't realize this and a slight cost that can be added to the consumer would be well worth it.  A well cooled cat can perform tremendously, as I've seen the best images of mars and jupiter with my current cat, but much of the time I am chasing thermal gremlins, not just seeing limitations.    Not that they need to make an open truss style SCT but then again, why not?

• spongebob@55 likes this

#22 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

I agree, using carbon fiber seems like an odd choice to do with a MCT.  Unless passive vents or cooling fans come standard with it. 

Bill

#23 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

A google search for "Explore Scientific Maksutov Cassegrain" brings up this link to a 6" Bresser/ES Mak-Cass, although the scope in the image looks awfully like an 8" SCT!

http://www.alibaba.c..._451919463.html

It does make me wonder, however, if there might be a non-CF version of the new Maks, but possibly just wishful thinking.

I sent ES a request for specs but haven't had a reply yet.

#24 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

According to this old article from S&T, ES introduced a 6" CF Mak in 2008.  Did it ever come to market?

http://www.skyandtel...re-in-pasadena/

#25 hardwarezone

hardwarezone

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:28 PM

A google search for "Explore Scientific Maksutov Cassegrain" brings up this link to a 6" Bresser/ES Mak-Cass, although the scope in the image looks awfully like an 8" SCT!

http://www.alibaba.c..._451919463.html

That is just a placeholder image.

JOC did a 8" sct carbon fibre prototype years ago too, there were photos of unboxing on conference room table, but it didn't get into the market.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics