•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I Send 'em Back?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:58 PM

Couldn't resist the deal at Amazon for Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binos. However I'm seeing double when looking at stars. Also as I move around the eyepiece there is spiking. On the pro side, brightness of objects is great and the background is very dark. Did I just get a bad pair? Should I try an exchange or return them for a refund?

Larry :shrug:

#2 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:18 PM

Full Moon is Saturday. If you set them up in your backyard maybe you will hear them howl at the Moon. Sounds like a dog to me, and not just based upon your experience. These cheaply made binoculars that Celestron is now importing have not been doing well in followup reviews. What you are seeing is a classic case of miscollimation. I would send them back pronto and get something with a better track record.

A good pair of binoculars is something that can last you a lifetime. If 15x70 is what you want, read the reviews and get something that will truly give you great images. In a similar price range, many have been quite happy with the 15x70's from Oberwerk. The owner will work with you if anything is wrong, and owners have typically been very happy with them.

If you truly want a great pair of binoculars in this size - magnification range, I would strongly recommend the Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70. The views are awesome and superior coatings give you the performance of a pair of 80 mm binoculars.

Barry Simon

#3 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:44 AM

I should have realized it was to good to be true. Binos are boxed and ready to return tomorrow.
Larry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics