•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A New Camera Offering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
220 replies to this topic

#1 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

I thought others may be interested in this. 

I stumbled across this when visiting the Mallincam Site:

http://www.mallincam...yraider-ds.html

Looks pretty nice.  I'll be keeping my eye open on NSN.  Normally Rock does tests there for the public to see.

David B in NM

#2 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

+1

#3 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

What's surprising to me is there's been no chatter in the MC Group about it.  Maybe someone posted the info too soon!

David B in NM

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up David.  

#5 dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr

Vostok 1

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

It appears to be using the same sensor as the Lodestar X2, which I've been eyeing as my potential next upgrade. It will be interesting to see how the Mallincam treatment compares. 

#6 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

looks Good...I want one.......

Rock just posted this on his site this am...He also said look for some more new products soon.

Bob

#7 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

It's interesting that video circuitry is still built into a camera that cannot be used without a computer and doesn't have a direct output to a monitor. Apparently intended to monitor moving objects on a computer screen.

--Dom

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Finally.

The best Sony sensor for EAA along with Rock's low noise "tricks" (the Hyper circuitry plus other stuff) and a USB output. Interesting that there appears to be on the fly dark frame subtraction. I wonder who's DSP is being used? Edit: upon closer reading this appears to be an external software function.

A significant part of the capability of this camera will be the software. Windows along with MacOS and Linux is a nice change. Also noticed the full screen live "video" capability and on the fly histogram (that appears to be an on camera function?). What about NSN broadcasting capabilities?

It seems to have all the right areas covered. I wonder when we'll see the first side by side live comparisons with the LodeStar X2s?

Oh and while it will certainly be vehemently denied - RIP to high end SD video for EAA.

Edited by mclewis1, 24 April 2015 - 02:21 PM.

#9 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

Dom,

How in the world did you come up with that???  Certainly one of the strangest observations I have seen...lol

Mark, I believe the phrase is dark Field Subtraction, not frame.....And I am sure you will be seeing plenty of them on NSN at some point in time.

And yes, PC/OSX/Linux will be a great way for all to benefit.

Andy 

#10 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

I wonder when we'll see the first side by side live comparisons with the LodeStar X2s?

I am still eagerly waiting to see any images made with the Exterminator or the APU-1  to be posted on CN or any other public forum.

Will the new camera be the exterminator of the Exterminator? Pricewise it looks like and Rock clearly states that "DarkField Subtraction eliminates the need of a Peltier cooler"...

Clear Skies!

--Dom

#11 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

Dom,

Plenty of people broadcast with the Exterminator on NSN, I know of 5 at least.  As for the APU camera, after 2 years or more of wait, none have made it into users hands, not sure why, but it is what it is.

Check out NSN, I know plenty of folks that broadcast there, who aren't into posting on forums.

Andy

#12 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

Dom,

How in the world did you come up with that???  Certainly one of the strangest observations I have seen...lol

Andy,

Isn't the purpose of video to display images of moving objects? Like an intruder climbing over a fence or a robotic arm reaching for a part. We have been using video cameras in EAA because of their dark sensitivity and availability at commodity prices. We have also been benefiting from the fact that these video cameras were able to display their images directly on a monitor, without the need of a computer.

I am confused of what video would mean, if neither moving objects nor direct display is involved. What is then the difference between this and a still image CCD camera?

--Dom

#13 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

"...high end SD video..."???

#14 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

Dom,

I guess we will actually have to wait (I know, unusual thing....right) until they come out!  

Andy

#15 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

I don't get it.  Is it cooled?  Why is it so much cheaper than the X2?  

I'm confused.

#16 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

To be sure, when integrating over longer exposure durations for static scenes, 30 fps video is redundant. But the camera *will* allow to observe/record moving/varying subjects when bright enough to permit short exposures.

And no, the camera is not cooled. Dark frame subtraction greatly reduces noise. Besides, a cooler would almost certainly require current that USB does not deliver.

#17 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Mark, I believe the phrase is dark Field Subtraction, not frame.....And I am sure you will be seeing plenty of them on NSN at some point in time. Andy 

Andy,

Yes, that was on purpose. I have a feeling they are going to be seen as the same thing. "Frame" however does also have very specific video connotations which probably wouldn't be entirely correct in this instance.

Dom raises issues that many of us have debated here before. Without knowing the internals of the new camera I can't say for certain but I think we are dealing with "video" in concept only. That is we have a camera that puts out a continuous stream of digital images at a rate that is similar to analog video transmission when displayed with the combined software. The display and camera controls will appear somewhat similar to those controls used on the analog video Mallincams and their controlling/display software.

I think Rock is trying very hard to maintain a difference between video and imaging while maintaining a strong link to his legacy "real" video cameras. I believe in his context video is now essentially what we call EAA.

Edited by mclewis1, 24 April 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

"...high end SD video..."???

Now Karl ... you know what I mean.  ;)

#19 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:47 PM

I agree with Glenn and Mark.

Getting more and more convinced that there is no built in video circuitry and most likely no Image processing chip. Video is only in the name for the sake of marketing continuity. This camera is a small sensor CCD camera with live viewing software. Mallincam's  response to the Lodestar/LodestarLive challenge. That also explains the pricing.

--Dom

#20 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:07 PM

Dom,

I guess you were in on the development of the camera then?

Andy

#21 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

Looks like three blind men and the elephant on this thread.  We can speculate till the cows come home.  I, for one, am looking forward to how this camera performs in the real world and will wait until I see what it can do before shooting from the hip with "special knowledge".  In terms of broadcasting it on NSN, WebcamMax, Manycams, etc are used so any camera can be used to broadcast.  You just capture the specific screen area.  Seems like Rock has a few more surprises coming.  Hey Lodestar, did you hear us go by?

#22 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

As I understand/interpret things, this is essentially a video camera designed to send its signal over USB.

It makes for a simpler and tidier setup for those who are not insistent on a TV/monitor display. Indeed, a netbook with good capacity battery is probably all you need haul to your favorite dark site for an evening's session. (No need for a separate monitor and possibly-required power supply, and other cables.)

#23 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

You have a rapidly changing and often confusing niche here in whatever this forum is called.

I'm going to buy one of the cheap camera outfits this summer to dip in a toe as my LP gets progressively worse.

I'm thinking a lot of us will end up here whether we like it or not. 

The no cables, no power supply etc is of course the magic bullet. That's when I'd open up the wallet.

#24 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

In terms of broadcasting it on NSN, WebcamMax, Manycams, etc are used so any camera can be used to broadcast.  You just capture the specific screen area.  

Dwight,

Of course any of the webcam redirect software can be used but having NSN capability built into the application would be the preferred route. How it's done would also tell us something about the camera, or at least about the format of the images being displayed. That knowledge could be useful figuring out options for displaying the live images on various monitors.

I'm staying way out of the speculation about what's inside the camera. I'm also just waiting to see how the camera performs and compares to the others.

#25 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

Dom,I guess you were in on the development of the camera then?

Looks like three blind men and the elephant on this thread.

A publicly announced camera that is not available for inspection and testing is fair target for speculation. In fact, any talk about it is nothing but speculation. But even this is helpful for the consumers so that they are not buying based solely on the one-sided marketing hype of the vendor. It also helps the vendor as talk is a sign that the product has been noticed and may generate interest.

--Dom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics