•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My "new" Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

My "new" Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5 doublet achromat arrived yesterday, and WOW is this a cool little scope! :ubetcha:  I had previously posted that it arrived here, in another Classic Telescopes forum thread, but so as not to hijack another member's thread any longer, I decided to start my own.  The scope is really quite well built, and comes with a lot of nifty little accessories, kind of like the Taks do, with the difference that each one of those little accessories if made by Tak would have cost more than I paid for this entire scope package.

As it's raining all weekend, I won't be able to do any astronomy for a while, but I decided the least I could do was unpack the scope and set it up on my Manfrotto camera tripod on my screened porch and try to do some bird viewing.  But alas, even the birds decided to stay out of the rain. :lol:  At least I managed to snap some pics to share with everyone. 

• DocFinance likes this

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

Tasco 9VR box and vinyl-covered case with handles:

IMG_4251.JPG

• DocFinance likes this

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

More details of the box (note "Japan" and "©1983" inscriptions):

IMG_4253.JPG

• DocFinance likes this

#4 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Pic of opened case, containing (clockwise, starting at the top left):

1. camera adapter

2. 0.965" diagonal

3. 0.965" 20mm H.M. eyepiece

4. 0.965" straight-through porro prism for terrestrial viewing

5. mini alt-az mount head (more on that later)

6. two 36.4mm diameter threaded extension tubes

7. Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5 doublet achromat and finderscope (probably 6 x 25)

8. 0.965" 2x Barlow lens

IMG_4255.JPG

The only thing that came with the original package that now appears to be missing is a 0.965" 5mm Ortho eyepiece.

Edited by Scott in NC, 25 April 2015 - 08:32 PM.

• DocFinance likes this

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

Mini alt-az mount head, with fine up/down and right/left adjustments.  Using this makes it possible to angle the scope in such a way that it will be able to reach the zenith on most camera tripods.  This is very sturdily built, and I can see something like this that was brand-new easily costing more than I paid for the entire package.  Only the knobs are plastic.  It's surprising to me that something this nice came included with a Tasco scope. :grin:

IMG_4256.JPG

• terraclarke likes this

#6 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

This gives you a good idea as to the size of the scope (easily held in one hand):

IMG_4257.JPG

• terraclarke likes this

#7 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

9VR on Manfrotto camera tripod, ready for some birdwatching action (with my cat sniffing around, thinking "did he say something about birds?").  :lol:

IMG_4239.JPG

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

Close-ups of scope on tripod (I added a 0.965"/1.25" adapter so I could use a SV 1.25" dielectric mirror diagonal and TV 25mm Plössl.):

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

• mattyfatz, Chuck Hards and Marcus Roman like this

#9 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

Last photo.  In the second photo, note the "Vixen" inscription on the lens cell, and how nicely baffled the interior of the scope is.  The lens is in very nice condition, and any marks that you see are reflections from the camera flash.

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

• mattyfatz, Chuck Hards, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with this scope, and can't wait to have the opportunity to take it outside.  No, I'm not expecting miracles from fast 60mm f/5 doublet achromatic optics, but I think this should be a fun, extremely portable travel scope.  It should be just perfect for seaside observing (terrestrial and widefield astro) during beach trips this summer.

Thanks for looking!

:jump:

• DocFinance likes this

#11 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hey, you didn't hijack the other thread!  I was waiting with bated breath...

Great find.

If you take it to the beach, be prepared to rinse the salt spray off of it.  I used to take my C5 to Garden City/Surfside Beach a couple of times per year, and I'm convinced that's what ended up costing me the coatings at one point.

Wow, I can't remember seeing too many of these with all of the stuff, case, etc.  What eyepieces did you get?

The slo-mo block is really handy.  I bought one of these back in the late 80s by itself and it was $50 then.

If you ever get around to scanning the documents that came with it, I think a few folks on here would like to see copies...

#12 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hey, you didn't hijack the other thread!  I was waiting with bated breath...

Thanks, Doc!

If you take it to the beach, be prepared to rinse the salt spray off of it.  I used to take my C5 to Garden City/Surfside Beach a couple of times per year, and I'm convinced that's what ended up costing me the coatings at one point.

Lately I've been taking my Stellarvue F50 (50mm f/4) finderscope and/or my son's Orion Starblast 4.5" dob to the beach to use on the balcony of a rented condo which is usually at least one or two hundred yards back from the surf, so the ocean spray isn't too bad.  The nice thing about this Tasco scope is that the lens cell is easily removable, so it's quite easy to clean both sides of the lens if needed.  I'll be careful, though. :)

Wow, I can't remember seeing too many of these with all of the stuff, case, etc.  What eyepieces did you get?

I don't have the eyepiece in front of me right now, but I believe the inscription reads "H.M. 20mm."  I'm assuming that "H.M." stands for "Huygens-Mittenzwey."  I haven't viewed through it yet, but the optics look quite clean, and the eyepiece has a reasonable amount of heft to it (not like today's all-plastic 0.965" junk).

If you ever get around to scanning the documents that came with it, I think a few folks on here would like to see copies...

I'll have to try to do that one of these days.  The package came with a complete 9VR manual, plus what looks like a couple of photocopies of the manual.

• DocFinance likes this

#13 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

Dang. Did you go back in time and buy that? :grin:  It's practically brand new!

Pics of mine coming soon. Once I return from my trip...

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

Dang. Did you go back in time and buy that? :grin:  It's practically brand new!

Pics of mine coming soon. Once I return from my trip...

Yep...I was pleasantly surprised at how nice a condition it arrived in, considering it's a 32-year-old scope. :ubetcha:  And definitely show some pics of yours when you get a chance (even if it looks exactly like mine--that doesn't matter). :grin:

#15 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Mine is nothing special to look at.  My 99VR, however, was pristine.  No case though.  I've got some pics around here someplace...

Salt spray:  I had mine on a balcony, too.  But for several years that was my most likely observing time.  Reflector/SCT coatings are likely more fragile.

#16 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

I only go to the beach for one or two weeks a year, and I'd guess that more than half of those summer nights are too cloudy for observing.  I wouldn't want to expose any scope to frequent salt spray, but given the fact that we're only talking about a handful of nights per year, I'm not overly concerned.  Looking at my other main beach-spotting scope, my SV F50 finder, you wouldn't be able to tell that it had ever been used at the beach.

• DocFinance likes this

#17 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

That's a great catch you have there. I keep mine set up on it's own photo tripod for instant use whenever I need it. Although the CA might bother some people, I do recommend this 9VR to anyone if they happen to get a chance to get one. Shame the 5mm is missing though, that was a 5mm 4-element ortho. A little tuff to look through, but it gives a remarkably good image through that fast little scope. BTW, people should look for the 9VR model like you have, the later 99VR model and other designations were not made in Japan and are a bit inferior (although still nice scopes).

#18 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

Thanks, David.  You don't happen to have the mini-tripod that was made for this scope, do you?  I wouldn't mind having one of those if I ever come across one.  Which tripod do you usually mount this scope on?

And about the missing 5mm Ortho--I think I may actually have a spare one in my astro closet (although it might be a 6mm).

#19 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Check out the other side of the box.  Made in Japan is Made in Japon.

#20 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

I noticed that, Steve.  I don't think it's a typo, though, as I believe that "Japon" is Spanish for "Japan." Notice that it also spells "Florida" as "Floride."

Edited by Scott in NC, 26 April 2015 - 10:11 PM.

• Jim J likes this

#21 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

Very nice!  You don't often see the original cardboard box.  The 9-VR did not come with a tripod, but the ones from the 99 and 999 did.  If you need the 5mm ortho to complete your kit, let me know  via PM.

Edited by CharlieB, 25 April 2015 - 09:03 PM.

• DocFinance likes this

#22 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Thanks, David.  You don't happen to have the mini-tripod that was made for this scope, do you?  I wouldn't mind having one of those if I ever come across one.  Which tripod do you usually mount this scope on?

And about the missing 5mm Ortho--I think I may actually have a spare one in my astro closet (although it might be a 6mm).

I don't think the 9vr came with a desktop tripod, just the slo-mo head. I have mine on a medium weight Bogen tripod and head. I don't use the slo-mo head with this combination. IIRC I purchased mine with everything but the slo-mo, but I already had one to use it on. I don't think anyone is making a scope like this anymore, just too much prejudice against fast achromats I guess. I have a cute little 50mm Kimboshi that's packaged on the same concept.

Kimboshi 50 300 refractor 011.JPG

This one comes with it's own tripod.

Kimboshi 50 300 refractor 008.JPG

Kimboshi 50 300 refractor 006.JPG

It's from Japan but I'm not familiar with the logo.

Kimboshi 50 300 refractor 005.JPG

Optics are nice but not in the same league as the 9VR.

• mattyfatz likes this

#23 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

Now that's a cute little scope, David. :grin:  You would have thought that it would have been easier to make decent 50mm f/6 optics than 60mm f/5 optics.  But I guess that a lot of the stuff that was churned out quickly to meet the perceived Halley's Comet demand wasn't really QC'd as well as gear produced in earlier or later eras.

#24 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

David, it looks like the majority of the available internet info on this model scope is contained in the CN thread that you started last year: http://www.cloudynig...m-f6-refractor/.

Here's a little bit more data on the Kimboshi company: http://www.trademark...px?sid=73456112.

#25 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

I just bought one of these threaded visual backs to convert my 9VR's drawtube to one that will accommodate 1.25" accessories: Vixen Optics EA 36.4mm to 31.7mm (1.25") Adapter.  I'm a little puzzled as to why Tasco/Vixen chose to hamper a scope that had a 1.4" drawtube by giving it a 0.965" visual back rather than a larger 1.25" visual back.  I'm guessing that maybe 0.965" accessories were the typical standard for smaller scopes from that era? :shrug:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics