•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My "new" Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

The 9VR is the only red-tube Tasco I've ever wanted to own.  :waytogo:

Scott, will the baffling support the 1.25" format?  What's the fully illuminated field size at focus?

• Bomber Bob likes this

#27 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Same here. :grin:

Scott, will the baffling support the 1.25" format?  What's the fully illuminated field size at focus?

Good question, Chuck.  When the new VB arrives, I'll put a 32mm Plossl in it and let you know what I find out.

#28 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

For anyone who is interested here is a good thread I started on the larger brother, the 10VR.

• GeneDiG, Bomber Bob and Marcus Roman like this

#29 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

For anyone who is interested here is a good thread I started on the larger brother, the 10VR.

Cool--thanks for sharing that, David.  Those two Tascos look great together in the photo! :)

#30 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

I just bought one of these threaded visual backs to convert my 9VR's drawtube to one that will accommodate 1.25" accessories: Vixen Optics EA 36.4mm to 31.7mm (1.25") Adapter.  I'm a little puzzled as to why Tasco/Vixen chose to hamper a scope that had a 1.4" drawtube by giving it a 0.965" visual back rather than a larger 1.25" visual back.  I'm guessing that maybe 0.965" accessories were the typical standard for smaller scopes from that era? :shrug:

Since it was made for Tasco, and the others were made by other mfgs. for  Tasco, that likely had some impact on the accessory and EP size.  Plus, it was still common in the 80s to see even quality scopes that used .96 accessories (C5 and  C90 come to mind).   As I recall, the annual 'Telescope Buyers Guide' issues of the late 80s started slamming 'department store scopes' as those with any finder less than 6x30, a metal tripod, and .965 eyepieces.  But the Cometron series from Celestron had .96 EP, as did the Vixen equivalents.  Interestingly, the review I read of the C4.5 made a big deal of its 1.25 focuser, but also slammed it for having too small a secondary... Go figure.

#31 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

I received the Vixen 1.25" VB in the mail today, and it's really easy to switch between the 0.965" and 1.25" visual backs by threading them on and off the end of the 36.4mm drawtube.  It'll be nice to be able to use both 0.965" and 1.25" accessories with the scope.  I still haven't had an opportunity to take the scope out at night, but I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate this weekend. :fingerscrossed:

Also, thanks to the kindness of a fellow CN'er (thanks, Charlie!), I now have a Vixen 5mm orthoscopic eyepiece to complete the kit. :jump: The 9VR kit originally included this 5mm eyepiece plus a H-M 20mm eyepiece, but mine was missing the 5mm one.  I'm interested to see how this ortho will perform for high-powered lunar views and double star splitting.  I just need to be careful not to poke my eye out with it, as its eye relief is pretty tight, lol! :grin:

And to answer Chuck Hards's question about whether the scope will fully illuminate the field of a 1.25" eyepiece, I haven't yet been able to test that out with a wide TFOV 1.25" eyepiece like a 32mm Plossl.  But when I look through the end of the drawtube with the 1.25" visual back in place, I don't see that the light path from the objective is being cut off.  So hopefully the answer is yes. 

#32 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Same here. :grin:

Good question, Chuck.  When the new VB arrives, I'll put a 32mm Plossl in it and let you know what I find out.

There is a version of the 10VR that is the same as the Vixen-made Celestron 80SS/Cometron CO-80.  Just red.  There's another one that isn't, though.  You can tell the difference immediately.  I've owned the Vixen made version of this scope as well and it was every bit as good as the Celestrons/Cometrons I've had.

#33 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

I received the Vixen 1.25" VB in the mail today, and it's really easy to switch between the 0.965" and 1.25" visual backs by threading them on and off the end of the 36.4mm drawtube.  It'll be nice to be able to use both 0.965" and 1.25" accessories with the scope.  I still haven't had an opportunity to take the scope out at night, but I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate this weekend. :fingerscrossed:

Also, thanks to the kindness of a fellow CN'er (thanks, Charlie!), I now have a Vixen 5mm orthoscopic eyepiece to complete the kit. :jump: The 9VR kit originally included this 5mm eyepiece plus a H-M 20mm eyepiece, but mine was missing the 5mm one.  I'm interested to see how this ortho will perform for high-powered lunar views and double star splitting.  I just need to be careful not to poke my eye out with it, as its eye relief is pretty tight, lol! :grin:

And to answer Chuck Hards's question about whether the scope will fully illuminate the field of a 1.25" eyepiece, I haven't yet been able to test that out with a wide TFOV 1.25" eyepiece like a 32mm Plossl.  But when I look through the end of the drawtube with the 1.25" visual back in place, I don't see that the light path from the objective is being cut off.  So hopefully the answer is yes. 

The Vixen-made scopes do not have a field stop in the focuser drawtube -- at least in my experience.  Some of the others do.

I successfully (and regularly) used the Celestron 36mm Silvertop with mine with the 31.7mm visual back and got a great view with it @ 8.33x.  :grin:

#34 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

That's good to know, Tony--thanks for the info.

#35 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

The only thing remaining that I'd like to tweak on my 9VR is the reticle eyepiece for the 6x finderscope.  While the rest of the scope (with the exception of the plastic focuser knobs) is made of metal, the reticle eyepiece has a plastic barrel.  The plastic threads which allow the EP to screw into the body of the finderscope appear to be partially stripped.  The EP will thread in just fine, but won't fully tighten, and the EP is easily knocked out of kilter when placing the scope back into the case.

Would a little Loctite be a good idea for the finderscope EP threads?  I don't necessarily want to permanently glue the EP in place, but OTOH there's no real reason to remove it either.

#36 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Try Teflon tape (plumber's tape).  That should work, and it won't gum things up.

hey, at least yours will focus!  Neither one of mine (on the 9 or 99) will focus.  Very irritating.

• Jon Isaacs and Bomber Bob like this

#37 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

Try Teflon tape (plumber's tape).  That should work, and it won't gum things up.

hey, at least yours will focus!  Neither one of mine (on the 9 or 99) will focus.  Very irritating.

Now that's a wonderful idea, Doc!  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  My finder scope focuses perfectly (at least on trees in the backyard, that is).  I haven't tested it out for infinity focus yet.  Have you tried screwing the EP in or out to see if you can find a spot where it works?

• DocFinance likes this

#38 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

After seeing how good these little 60mm fast classics achromats are,there is no way I would spend $600 for the new little 60mm APO. A Meade 277,Tasco 9VR,Cometron CO-62,or the Jason branded one all do very nicely as widefield and nature study.And can be found fairly often for $100 or less. If spending $600 I'd want(did get) an 80 apo triplet.

• Bomber Bob and DocFinance like this

#39 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

The only thing remaining that I'd like to tweak on my 9VR is the reticle eyepiece for the 6x finderscope.  While the rest of the scope (with the exception of the plastic focuser knobs) is made of metal, the reticle eyepiece has a plastic barrel.  The plastic threads which allow the EP to screw into the body of the finderscope appear to be partially stripped.  The EP will thread in just fine, but won't fully tighten, and the EP is easily knocked out of kilter when placing the scope back into the case.

Would a little Loctite be a good idea for the finderscope EP threads?  I don't necessarily want to permanently glue the EP in place, but OTOH there's no real reason to remove it either.

The finders are one thing on many scopes that cause me difficulty because the finders' range of adjustment is typically not enough for my aphakic eyes without glasses;often,  focus is with the adjustable part screwed out so far it is about to fall out. Haven't  thought of a fix other than a threaded extension (custom and expensive) , cutting the finder tube in half and splicing in more, or finding something to make a longer finder tube which means somehow fitting the lens to it and not losing the original part for whomever might end up with the scope in the future.Any more ideas?

• DocFinance likes this

#40 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

After seeing how good these little 60mm fast classics achromats are,there is no way I would spend $600 for the new little 60mm APO. A Meade 277,Tasco 9VR,Cometron CO-62,or the Jason branded one all do very nicely as widefield and nature study.And can be found fairly often for $100 or less. If spending $600 I'd want(did get) an 80 apo triplet.

I hear what you're saying.  Last year I bought a very nice Tak FS-60C fluorite doublet apo off Astromart.  Yes, it definitely was a nicer scope than the Tasco that I just bought.  But the bottom line was that it was still limited by its meager 60mm of aperture, and IMO I couldn't justify the fact that it cost (used) over 7x the price of this little Tasco.  And merely for that reason, the Tak, as fine as it was, got sold off shortly afterwards, while the Tasco will likely be a long-term keeper.

#41 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

Now that's a wonderful idea, Doc!  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  My finder scope focuses perfectly (at least on trees in the backyard, that is).  I haven't tested it out for infinity focus yet.  Have you tried screwing the EP in or out to see if you can find a spot where it works?

The 99vr for sure can't screw in far enough.  I haven't tried to turn the 9VR for fear of stripping it.

#42 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Neither of mine focus without the use of the extension tube. Have you tried that?

Edited by astronomylife, 04 May 2015 - 09:21 PM.

• DocFinance likes this

#43 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

I was referring to the finders.  I've had to use extension tubes with the main scopes, for sure.

#44 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

Aren't these scopes intended for nature photo use as much as visual ?So the tubes are short to allow cameras to reach focus;this means using one,even two extension tubes(which are part of the  original sets).

• DocFinance likes this

#45 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

Yes, it is intended for many uses and you really do need both extension tubes to fulfill all its useful roles.  The scope is also very handy for binoviewing.

• DocFinance likes this

#46 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

Very nice!  You don't often see the original cardboard box.  The 9-VR did not come with a tripod, but the ones from the 99 and 999 did.  If you need the 5mm ortho to complete your kit, let me know  via PM.

My 9VR came with a tripod.Maybe there were different 9VR sets offered.

#47 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

Since my 999VR is stopped down, I really don't use it for astronomy. However, it makes for one sweet spotter scope.  Back when they were flying, I used my 999VR to watch the space shuttle lift off from Cape Canaveral. I set my little Tasco up on the shores of Titusville over 12 miles away from the launch pad. Using the 20mm kelner and the zoom, I could track the shuttle at lift off and through SRB seperation. Since then, the 999VR always comes with me to the beach. I'll set it up on a hotel balcony and watch ships miles out to see.

• Scott in NC, Bomber Bob and DocFinance like this

#48 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the idea re: Teflon pipe tape, Doc!  It worked perfectly.  The finder EP now screws securely in place, and yet should still be easily removable if necessary.  A roll of Teflon pipe tape cost me the princely sum of 74 cents at my local hardware store.  That's easily the least expensive astro gear accessory that I've ever purchased, lol! :grin:

#49 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

As I've posted before, I removed the baffle in my 999VR and replaced it with a small black plastic cup to mimic a binocular tube.  It opened up the FOV and brightened the image, but restricts it to strictly low power sweeping -- distortion & CA is too obvious during the day.  But I don't do bird watching.

• DocFinance likes this

#50 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

I finally got first light (at nighttime, that is) with the 9VR tonight.  It was a race to get any observing done before the clouds rolled in, but I got a nice view of Jupiter with some TV Plossls and BO/TMB Planetaries.  The views were better than I expected for an f/5 doublet achromat.  

I didn't get a chance to swap the new 1.25" VB for the original 0.965" VB, so couldn't test out the vintage Vixen 5mm ortho and 20mm H-M, so will have to save that for another night.

I'm very pleased with this scope, and consider it to have been money well-spent. :ubetcha:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics