•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My "new" Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#51 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

:sweaty:  :sweaty: Great news!

• Scott in NC likes this

#52 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

:sweaty:  :sweaty: Great news!

Yeah, it did take me a while to get out and observe with it for the first time, although I did use it as a terrestrial spotting scope to peek around the backyard in the meantime.  Over the past few weeks, too many work and family obligations when it was clear, and then cloudy weather all the rest of the time conspired to keep me from using it at night.  And as it was, I barely got it set up last night before the clouds rolled in.  But such is typical for springtime and summertime weather here in North Carolina.

One thing I discovered (an expected finding, though, as other 9VR owners have mentioned the same thing) is that the 6x finderscope will not come to infinity focus.  It will focus for terrestrial viewing, however.  I didn't try to screw the finderscope eyepiece out a little to see if that helped, as the length of the threaded section is so short that just a few twists of that eyepiece will detach it from the body of the finderscope.

• DocFinance likes this

#53 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

The focus adjustment is not done with the eyepiece.  Have you tried loosening the locking ring (black ring behind cell) for the objective cell?  The cell then can be adjusted and re-locked.  It came to focus for me, but my vision is very poor, so it probably just needs a slight adjustment.

Edited by Steve_M_M, 17 May 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#54 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

The focus adjustment is not done with the eyepiece.  Have you tried loosening the locking ring (black ring behind cell) for the objective cell?  The cell then can be adjusted and re-locked.  It came to focus for me, but my vision is very poor, so it probably just needs a slight adjustment.

I really should have thought of that, since that's the way that the finderscope on my Meade LX90 is focused. :foreheadslap:  Now I did briefly look at the front end of the finderscope last night, but it was dark and the clouds were rolling in fast, so didn't even notice that there was a locking ring there.  I'll give that a try.  Not that it's that big of a deal anyway, as my biggest problem is getting my head in between the diagonal and the mount so that I can actually peer through the finderscope eyepiece!  I'll work on getting the finderscope adjusted first, then see if I can come up with some head-shrinking exercises (maybe watching a few hours of "reality TV"?). :lol:

• DocFinance likes this

#55 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

If you look closely, the finderscope position is another unique piece of this scope.  The stalk is on a rotating band that encircles the focuser housing.  It's on bearings and is very easy to move.  The focuser lock also locks the bearings for this hidden band.  If you can find it, let me know   :)  Well, at least that is how I would do it with the new 99999VR   :lol:

Edited by Steve_M_M, 17 May 2015 - 07:13 PM.

• GeneDiG and DocFinance like this

#56 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

I'll try out the finder focus on the other end and see how that works.

Edited by DocFinance, 18 May 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#57 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Cute as a Gnat's eyelash!

I had one of the 80mm versions 20 years ago. nice little utility scope.

#58 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

Do any of you have the red tabletop tripod that's meant to go with the red Tasco 60mm f/5 scopes?  I believe that they were only included with the 999VR, and possibly the 99VR scopes.  I may have located one of these, and am considering purchasing it.  Unfortunately, I'd have to buy it with a scope package rather than by itself, and only want to do so if they're actually stable, and a useful accessory.  I was just thinking that it would be nice to have one of these for my 9VR.  Thoughts?

#59 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

We must be on the same wavelength!  I bought a Towa-made Tasco 9T today just to get the full height tripod with the fancy (big channeled knobs) slo-mo controls and 60mm tube clamp.  Gonna take the tripod block off my (V) 9VR, and have it always ready to pop outside.  Haven't decided what I'll do with the 60mm terrestrial zoomer...

• Scott in NC and mfalls like this

#60 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

I owned this 99VR.. I sold it, I regret selling it, so I'll probably buy another and end paying more on the end.

It was a great sky scanner, but in the end it had the same footprint as my Astroscan. I replaced it with a Stellarvue SV 70, which is a great scope, but I do miss the Tasco

4438869-IMG_0695.JPG

6162023-image.jpg

• Scott in NC, GeneDiG, Deven Matlick and 2 others like this

#61 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

I gave my Tanzutsu (Diamond Z) to the Scouts when I got the 9VR - the Vixen optics are far superior at the higher magnifications.  I had improved the Z by removing the baffle/field stop, and replacing it with a flat black cone.  The new owners love it!  Both scopes give great views of M31, and make sliding along rich asterisms like Cygnus or Orion a blast.

• GeneDiG, mattyfatz and DocFinance like this

#62 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Okay, so call me a sucker, but I just bought a 999VR just so I could get the included red tabletop tripod to use with my 9VR.  It will be interesting comparing the two scopes, and then I'll probably try to resell (or give away) the 999VR kit without the tripod.  Of course I say that kind of thing quite frequently when I'm buying a scope just to get some of the included accessories, and then find every excuse in the book to keep the scope too! :lol:

• mattyfatz, fjs, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#63 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Okay, so call me a sucker, but I just bought a 999VR just so I could get the included red tabletop tripod to use with my 9VR.  It will be interesting comparing the two scopes, and then I'll probably try to resell (or give away) the 999VR kit without the tripod.  Of course I say that kind of thing quite frequently when I'm buying a scope just to get some of the included accessories, and then find every excuse in the book to keep the scope too! :lol:

I guess if you can't get one of these, you settle for a Tasco. 

I sold my 9VR to help pay for this guy.  Proper white tube and no licensee name on it.  ;)

002.jpg

008.jpg

• Scott in NC, mattyfatz, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#64 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

Wow--very nice, Chuck!  Now that looks like a proper scope, as the Tasco 9VR might have looked had the color scheme had been determined by a real amateur astronomer rather than by a large company's marketing department. 

So who made this scope, Vixen?

#65 fjs

fjs

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

Meh. I think the red kinda grows on ya after a while. Don't like the stupid sticker though. Even so, I can't bring myself to take it off.

#66 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

Wow--very nice, Chuck!  Now that looks like a proper scope, as the Tasco 9VR might have looked had the color scheme had been determined by a real amateur astronomer rather than by a large company's marketing department. 

So who made this scope, Vixen?

Yes, it's the native Vixen version of the 9VR.  Made for the domestic Japanese market, I believe only the Tasco version was sold in North America.  Only ever seen a couple of them in my life.

• Scott in NC and DocFinance like this

#67 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

Cool true Vixen, Chuck!  So, I could repaint my 9VR and remain within classic restoration conventions.

• Scott in NC likes this

#68 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

BTW, Chuck, do you know what Vixen named their non-rebadged 9VR?  Or maybe it was just called the Vixen 60mm f/5.

#69 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fernandina Beach, Florida

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Rather than sitting here and hitting "Like This" over and over again, let me just say this;

I like this! Well done!

• Scott in NC likes this

#70 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

BTW, Chuck, do you know what Vixen named their non-rebadged 9VR?  Or maybe it was just called the Vixen 60mm f/5.

They call it the "Orion Mini-60S".

• Scott in NC likes this

#71 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

There are a few minor differences from the 9VR.  On the Mini-60S, the finder bracket is just about perpendicular to the tube, not angled back severely as on the Tasco.  I kind of like that, my head doesn't bump into it as much.  Also, while my 9VR came with the standard Tasco-style eyepieces, this one has a couple of nice Vixen .965" eps in the long barrel.  The Barlow is all metal and of a more standard configuration, meaning it has to go ahead of the diagonal.  Also it didn't come with the zoom accessory.  The slo-motion mount seemed a bit tighter and more precise than the Tasco, which itself was pretty darn good.  My 9VR also came with a couple of camera adapter doo-dads that are absent in the Mini-60S package.

I only used them side-by-side once before selling the 9VR.  I had to switch eyepieces back-and-forth since I wanted to use some more modern ones and didn't want to go through other boxes to dig out pairs of older Tanis.  But as I recall, the views were identical.

• GeneDiG and DocFinance like this

#72 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

What kind of tripod are you using Chuck?

#73 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

They call it the "Orion Mini-60S".

Thanks, Chuck.  Here's a little more info on the Vixen/Orion Mini-60S: http://www.cloudynig...ixen-telescope/

#74 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Here's one for sale:

http://www.cafr.ebay...m-/121823722986

• Scott in NC and Bomber Bob like this

#75 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

What kind of tripod are you using Chuck?

That's a Manon 600.  It was originally made for stereo photographers, able to mount two cameras on the ends of a swinging center post.  But it can also tip-over to match your latitude, which effectively turns it into a true equatorial mount.  Hasn't been made since the 60s.  They come up for sale on eBay about once or twice a year.  This is my second one and it is in practically brand-new condition.

Manon also has the model 500 which has the same features, but is smaller and not as robust.  The 600 is preferred for our purposes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics