•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My "new" Tasco 9VR 60mm f/5

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#126 beanerds

beanerds

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

I hear what you're saying.  Last year I bought a very nice Tak FS-60C fluorite doublet apo off Astromart.  Yes, it definitely was a nicer scope than the Tasco that I just bought.  But the bottom line was that it was still limited by its meager 60mm of aperture, and IMO I couldn't justify the fact that it cost (used) over 7x the price of this little Tasco.  And merely for that reason, the Tak, as fine as it was, got sold off shortly afterwards, while the Tasco will likely be a long-term keeper.
Same here , I had and really liked a Tak FS60C but at $1040aud I could not justify it so sold it for a good price $850 .
Then I missed the ease of use the Tak gave so I looked around and found this scope , its a Long Perng 60mm f7 triplet and at $499aus ( $374usd ) I grabbed it and cant be happier , it sits well on my EQ2 in Alt/Az mode giving great views .

Enjoy your 60mm , it's a sweetie .

Beanerds.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181102_170242.jpg

Edited by beanerds, 08 January 2019 - 11:52 PM.

• Scott in NC, mattyfatz, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#127 astroedu

astroedu

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:10 AM

Thank you all for your answers and contributions, and for providing me with the Tasco 9VR user manual waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Eduard

• Scott in NC likes this

#128 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

For the Vixen fine adjustment accessory, about 1.5 year ago I bought one unit on EBay directly from Japan . All went well. Although I see that prices may have gone up on EBay, IMO it is still worth having, I use it a lot. With heavier telescopes it may add some extra time to vibrations since it raises center of gravity, but the trade off versus gain in fine motion control makes it still worth it. Be aware also that since it was discontinued long ago, in one of my two units the plastic of the knob to attach to the telescope cracked when tightened, but it was an easy fix with a little epoxy to secure again the metal screw to the knob. I use the 9VR a lot as quick solution to do some observations when I have little time available (on a heavy duty photo tripod with Vixen fine motion accessory) or when there are fast moving clouds and it is too risky to set up an equatorial mount with bigger telescope, or, more recently, with my PVS-7 night vision unit.

#129 astroedu

astroedu

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

For the Vixen fine adjustment accessory, about 1.5 year ago I bought one unit on EBay directly from Japan . All went well. Although I see that prices may have gone up on EBay, IMO it is still worth having, I use it a lot. With heavier telescopes it may add some extra time to vibrations since it raises center of gravity, but the trade off versus gain in fine motion control makes it still worth it. Be aware also that since it was discontinued long ago, in one of my two units the plastic of the knob to attach to the telescope cracked when tightened, but it was an easy fix with a little epoxy to secure again the metal screw to the knob. I use the 9VR a lot as quick solution to do some observations when I have little time available (on a heavy duty photo tripod with Vixen fine motion accessory) or when there are fast moving clouds and it is too risky to set up an equatorial mount with bigger telescope, or, more recently, with my PVS-7 night vision unit.

All right.  I'll look for the fine adjustment accessory, it's worth it. I am also looking for the red tripod of the VR999.

Thanks for your information!

#130 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

If there is no hurry you can also monitor for a while the CN classifieds and EBay for any isolated good deal that may come up, and post a wanted ad on the CN classifieds and Swap&Shop forums. Be aware that there is also a fine adjustment accessory from another maker, Meade may be? I never had one but I was warned that it is made of plastic and very flimsy.

• astroedu likes this

#131 astroedu

astroedu

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

Is the fine adjustment accessory sold by Vixen currently the same as the 9VR? it's possible? confused1.gif hmm.gif 
On ebay I have seen this model and it costs almost like the telescope: https://www.vixenopt...t-DX-p/3562.htm

#132 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

Is the fine adjustment accessory sold by Vixen currently the same as the 9VR? it's possible? confused1.gif hmm.gif 
On ebay I have seen this model and it costs almost like the telescope: https://www.vixenopt...t-DX-p/3562.htm

That looks the same to me.  And you're right, that accessory is priced about the same as I paid for my entire 9VR kit (which included that accessory).

• DMala and astroedu like this

#133 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

Yes that's the one on the Vixen site, very expensive indeed. On Ebay it is a bit less, and you can also try to contact the seller and make an offer. As I mentioned it is now quite more than it used to be.

https://www.ebay.com...2s1J:rk:19:pf:0

For my taste it is an essential accessory if using any light weight telescope on a photo tripod. I have not tried modern pan heads but even with quality old pan heads I have major difficulties tracking objects at medium magnification and up. If you do not plan to use a photo tripod regularly, I can see how it may not justify the cost.

#134 astroedu

astroedu

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Yes that's the one on the Vixen site, very expensive indeed. On Ebay it is a bit less, and you can also try to contact the seller and make an offer. As I mentioned it is now quite more than it used to be.

https://www.ebay.com...2s1J:rk:19:pf:0

For my taste it is an essential accessory if using any light weight telescope on a photo tripod. I have not tried modern pan heads but even with quality old pan heads I have major difficulties tracking objects at medium magnification and up. If you do not plan to use a photo tripod regularly, I can see how it may not justify the cost.

Thanks for the link, it's cheaper.
However, I find it a bit strange that they continue with the same model as the 80s. If it works so that it can change? but it is rare.

• DMala likes this

#135 suttonjp

suttonjp

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Afton, Iowa

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Got my 9VR today and I’m amazed by this little scope.  I knew it would be nice, but, Wow!  Mine is also missing the fine adjustment piggyback unit, so I’ll be watching for a replacement.  Otherwise, it was complete and doesn’t look like it was used more than once or twice.  I’m excited.

• Scott in NC and DMala like this

#136 pakman2

pakman2

Lift Off

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

I recently obtained Tasco 9VR and according to the previous owner no fine adjustment piece was sold with and instead a Tasco 4m small tripod and manual was substituted. I too will have to search for the fine adjustment unit. The telescope is almost brand new and has hardly been used.

#137 suttonjp

suttonjp

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Afton, Iowa

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

I may be wrong, but I've never seen a 9VR that didn't originally come with the fine adjustment piece.  That seems to be the piece that's missing the most often.  I wonder if there are a glut of vintage tripods with orphan fine adjustment units on them. 

#138 pakman2

pakman2

Lift Off

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I was told by the seller that my 9VR did not have the fine adjustment unit. If there are a glut of vintage tripods with these fine adjustment units present then send one my way.

• suttonjp likes this

#139 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Have you seen this? It’s the same thing that came with the original Tasco.

#140 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Yep, that looks just like the one that came with my former 9VR, to the best of my recollection.

#141 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Let's see.

This is still here due to a non practical shipping cost, so easy enough to look inside. This is a 10VR, don't know if the 9 version was different.

Attached Thumbnails

• P5260001.JPG
  • P5260002.JPG

#142 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

Pretty close, I like the 1/4-20 top knob better on this one. 

The altitude adjustment is slightly different. Mine is a set tension and all positions in altitude are done with the fine knob. The total throw in alt. is between 45 and 90 degrees. This original unit was apparently intended to be used on a mount that provided rough positioning. The build quality of this unit is excellent.  Worst part is the altitude tangs that ride on the slide block.  I've seen the tangs break before

Attached Thumbnails

• P5260004.JPG

Edited by apfever, 26 May 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#143 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Here in post #5 from this thread I've got a picture of the one that came with my former 9VR.

https://www.cloudyni...m-f5/?p=6558829

#144 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Here's the AZ head that came with my 9VR:

T9VR - Left Side S01.jpg

• Scott in NC likes this

#145 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for showing that side of the mount. The other photos, including the ad, are from the other side.

Yours and mine are identical. The Orion one appears to have some knob for alt.  Perhaps a quick release but the throw isn't far enough to make that worthwhile.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics