•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Any binoculars with a large AFoV *and* exit pupil?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:44 AM

Do you know of any high quality binoculars with exit pupils around 6mm or larger and an AFoV of at least 65 degrees? I don't have any specific size in mind- if you know of any binoculars which match this criterion please let me know.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:47 AM

Daniel,

From the top of my head the closest I can suggest ( i.e exit -pupil of 5.6mm and AFOV of 64 degrees ) is the Zeiss Victory 10 x 56.

You certainly won't be forfeiting anything in terms of "lost brightness" with these as opposed to any other binocular with an exact 6mm exit -pupil.

Regards , Kenny.

See below for specs:

Zeiss Victory 10 x 56

Technical Data

Magnification 10x

Objective diameter 56mm

Field of view at 1000 m 110m WW

Infinite adjustment range to 5,0m

Focusing range of centerdrive -10dpt

Diopter compensation +/-7dpt

Twilight performance 23,7

Exit pupil 5,6mm

Relative geometric brightness 31,4

Interpupillary distance from - to 58-75mm

Length (eyecup elongated) 200mm

Width (PD 65) 144mm

Weight 1200g

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

By the way Daniel,

I know that "high quality" might be debatable here but there is always the Russian Borderguard PNB 2

These are 15 x 110 with a 6 degree TFOV !

Hardly the kind of thing you'd want to take along to a picnic though :-)

Regards --Kenny.

See below for details :

15 x 110 GIANT Russian Border Guard Observation Binoculars $2,795.00 $2,495.00

15 x 110 GIANT Russian Border Guard Observation Binoculars If you have an ocean, mountain or city view home/office or a yacht, these are for you! Built in Siberia to rigorous mil-specs and identical to those used at border guard stations throughout the Iron Curtain. Brand new, in custom, tongue and groove, wooden case, complete with yoke mount and a full-height, varnished wooden tripod (a $250 value). They magnify 15 times. Enormous 110mm (4.5") objective lenses, BAK-4 prisms, precision-ground, multi-coated, achromatic optics and perfectly round exit pupils. Outstanding optical quality, phenomenal edge to edge image definition and superb color fidelity. Field of view an amazing 6 deg. (300 ft. at 1,000 yds.). Great for wide-angle astronomical applications! Ocular lenses tipped 45 deg. for ergonomic viewing. Swivels a full 360 deg. and 125 deg. vertically. Operates flawlessly in a wide range of temps (-58F to +122F). Loaded with features like oversized, individually focusing diopters, reticle scales with rangefinder, interpupillary adjustment, slide-out sun shades, objective/ocular lens covers, top headrest. Filter set, canvas cover and original factory docs. Anti-fogging desiccant inside. Anti-corrosive body and paint. Serial-numbered. Three-year warranty. Similar German/Japanese giant binoculars cost thousands more. Hundreds of satisfied customers... from Alaska to Zimbabwe! Ideal for security, lifeguards and other public safety/land management applications! Great for yacht clubs, hunting lodges and star parties, too! Special volume programs available for government agencies. Binocs 16"x23"x14", 46 lbs. (21 kg). Shipping weight, 100 lbs. (45 kg). Tripod/pedestal shipped separately.

#4 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:35 AM

Daniel,

"High quality" is a relative term. Means different thing to different people. Leica, Swarov and Zeiss certainly make some of the best binos available. I can think of one model on the opposite side of the price range of what Kenny mentioned that's close to your specification: The Oberwerk 12X60. 68.4 deg APFOV and $109. There are very few situations I can think of where I would need exit pupil larger than 5mm: Mag 6.5+ skies. I have to drive 5 hours or more to central PA to find it. Under other conditons exit pupil of 4-5mm provides darker sky background prefered by most.

Erik D

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the help Kenny and Erik! Those 15x110mm binoculars are incredibly interesting to me with such a huge AFoV. I wonder how they perform for astronomy.

Erik, I may end up getting the 12x60mm Oberwerks soon. 12x and 15x Oberwerks will work well to keep me satisfied while I save money for a top of the line pair.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics