•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how many use a lymax cat cooler with your SE SCT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

i started using regularly my sct cooler from lymax

i was hesitant at first to introduce this long shaft inside my 8se and blow air inside. i simply let the scope cooldown for one to two hours before use. i can encounter quite dramatic temp differences between the house and outside.

using the sct cooler for 20 minutes resulted in dramatic differences for planetary views and my fears were not justified

really solved the cooldown problem of sct which sometimes interfered with planet observation

whathas been your experience??

Edited by coutleef, 03 May 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Me :grin: on my 8SE.

But only in Winter.

#3 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

The company also states that it can help evacuate humidity in the ota. Never tried that

#4 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

ok well it seems that not very many use the lymax cooler!

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

Anything with big glass needs auxiliary cooling, especially if it's closed.  I have a C9.25 that a Lymax makes a world of difference on.  I also have a DK that is open on each end.  Even it benefits greatly from active cooling.

#6 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

I took my Cat Cooler (made by someone else) and adapted it to work work with my SCT's.

Here is how It originally looked when used with my 8" SCT. (eventually replaced with 8" EdgeHD with active cooling)

ScopeCooler1CL.jpg

when the 8" SCT was sold I cut the plastic tube and added some plumbing supplies in order to allow two different length rods to be used (one for C11 and one for C14).

ScopeCooler4CL.jpg

Now I just swap out the rods when needed

Mike

Edited by junomike, 05 May 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#7 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

I used my Lymax cooler last winter but it is so much warmer now the temp difference doesn't seem worth it. My seeing isn't that good so maybe I'll try it and see if it makes a difference.  I have a 10" LX-200 and a C11 so they are pretty comparable otherwise.

#8 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

I cannot because mine is an EdgeHD. But I do have the TEMPest fans. But I wouldn't mind trying the Starizona Cool Edge for it, that's the only option, I think. 

I would try one with my C6 though but they don't make one. I will follow the directions in this thread to make my own, though. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics