•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, Ebay, and other Vintage Telescope Ads.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
626 replies to this topic

#26 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

Tasco 11TE05 on shopgoodwill, pickup only in Denver:

http://www.shopgoodw...e-21459919.html

Baby Unitron, also shopgoodwill:

http://www.shopgoodw...d-21469688.html

#27 93711dude

93711dude

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:59 AM

Q7 primary may need recoating...

#28 turk123

turk123

Gemini

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

Looking back there was an ad on Ebay (posted here) for a 5" Brashear antique telescope.  It went for $7100.  Be aware of some of these ads if you're new to antiques.  This particular scope was missing a few things.  The tripod was not original.  The lens was not original.  The finder was missing.  And there were a few broken parts.

What was also discovered by a more knowledgable friend of mine, is that the Bardou objective was installed inside the original Brashear lens cell making it impossible to collimate and not a 5".  So now we have a pretty telescope with no use.  

The telescope had a lot of accessories going for it.  Was it worth $7100?    I don't think so.  The new owner may be very disappointed.

#29 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

That Unitron appears to be the straight-through version of the 45-degree spotter I recently posted here.  Sharp for a 40mm.

#30 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

That Unitron appears to be the straight-through version of the 45-degree spotter I recently posted here.  Sharp for a 40mm.

You need both versions , Chuck , Don't you ? :hmm:  :rofl:       Then you could have a Mating Pair  :lol: 

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 07 May 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#31 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

Looking back there was an ad on Ebay (posted here) for a 5" Brashear antique telescope.  It went for $7100.  Be aware of some of these ads if you're new to antiques.  This particular scope was missing a few things.  The tripod was not original.  The lens was not original.  The finder was missing.  And there were a few broken parts.

What was also discovered by a more knowledgable friend of mine, is that the Bardou objective was installed inside the original Brashear lens cell making it impossible to collimate and not a 5".  So now we have a pretty telescope with no use.  

The telescope had a lot of accessories going for it.  Was it worth $7100?    I don't think so.  The new owner may be very disappointed.

Ouch.  VERY disappointing to hear.  On the surface it appeared to be a really nice scope.  :(

I've seen other, seemingly reputable, auction sites claiming some old scopes to be older than they can be.  For one, I've see some Broadhurst Clarkson scopes claimed to be late 19th century when the company wasn't even created then.

Excellent advice about buying antique scopes Tom.  Without expert inspection and established provenance, prices should drop accordingly.

#32 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Love to have that wedge, but need to find one a little more reasonable.  WOW  :undecided:

They're not going to get any cheaper.  I was thinking about selling mine, but may not.  I have two 'classic' Herschel wedges -- one Unitron, one mystery manufacturer that came with a Tasco 10TE or 15TE I bought (don't remember which).  The Unitron one is unique with the flop-down shield.  I wish I could find an ND3.0 filter in 24mm diameter... I *have* used the evil Sun filter with it and a 40mm AH with a stopped-down scope and it worked okay and was safe -- I think -- why can't I see out of my right eye any more?  Oh, wait, nevermind...

Mostly, though I've used the classic Herschel wedges with a scope that would allow me enough backfocus to use a step up eyepiece adapter (24mm -> 31.7mm, or .965" to 1.25") and then put the ND3.0 filter on the front of the 1.25" EP I was using.  I do that *rarely* these days, since I finally got a 1.25" Herschel wedge, but it is nice to break out one of the long focus refractors and do solar with it every now and again...

You know, that's the funny thing....

In reference to another active thread, there are classics that are bargains now, but there are some that are becoming just as unaffordable as they were when they were new!

You just have to wait and keep looking. I got my Unitron 0.965" Herschel wedge for a hundred bucks a year or so ago and got my Duetron (incl. the matching Zoom eyepiece with the same silver focuser bands as on the Duetron's focuser) for two hundred.

#33 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Well, hopefully then it will just be placed in some executives office or doctors living room as a conversation piece.

#34 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Love to have that wedge, but need to find one a little more reasonable.  WOW  :undecided:

They're not going to get any cheaper.  I was thinking about selling mine, but may not.  I have two 'classic' Herschel wedges -- one Unitron, one mystery manufacturer that came with a Tasco 10TE or 15TE I bought (don't remember which).  The Unitron one is unique with the flop-down shield.  I wish I could find an ND3.0 filter in 24mm diameter... I *have* used the evil Sun filter with it and a 40mm AH with a stopped-down scope and it worked okay and was safe -- I think -- why can't I see out of my right eye any more?  Oh, wait, nevermind...

Mostly, though I've used the classic Herschel wedges with a scope that would allow me enough backfocus to use a step up eyepiece adapter (24mm -> 31.7mm, or .965" to 1.25") and then put the ND3.0 filter on the front of the 1.25" EP I was using.  I do that *rarely* these days, since I finally got a 1.25" Herschel wedge, but it is nice to break out one of the long focus refractors and do solar with it every now and again...

In reference to another active thread, there are classics that are bargains now, but there are some that are becoming just as unaffordable as they were when they were new!

You just have to wait and keep looking. I got my Unitron 0.965" Herschel wedge for a hundred bucks a year or so ago and got my Duetron (incl. the matching Zoom eyepiece with the same silver focuser bands as on the Duetron's focuser) for two hundred.

And there is a lil story behind that :grin:

#35 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Sandcast C8  in Connecticut

#36 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Man that's a fine looking piece for 300 bucks, I'd be all over that , IF I lived closer :grin:

#37 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

I'm relieved that the Seller won't ship.  That C8 is a beauty!

#38 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

check with B&H in NYC.  they might have the filters

#39 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Man that's a fine looking piece for 300 bucks, I'd be all over that , IF I lived closer :grin:

Deals like that never pop up in my area. If it were in my area they would be asking $700 for it.

Chas

#40 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Not meaning to volunteer him, but maybe Charlie B would be willing to grab this and act as shipping agent for someone here who would give it a good home?  I think we have a couple other members in that neck of the woods, as well.

#41 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

Deals like that never pop up in my area. If it were in my area they would be asking $700 for it.

Chas

Not to deflate anyone's hopes but $300 is the current bid, not the selling price.

#42 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'll do that.  Thanks for the tip.

#43 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

I'll do that.  Thanks for the tip.

Let me double check to make sure.  I have some ND filters for my wedge and when I looked up the name on them a place in NY still sold them.  Let me make sure.

#44 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...?lpid=82&chn=ps

here is 24mm on ebay

#45 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

Mostly, though I've used the classic Herschel wedges with a scope that would allow me enough backfocus to use a step up eyepiece adapter (24mm -> 31.7mm, or .965" to 1.25") and then put the ND3.0 filter on the front of the 1.25" EP I was using.

That's basically the solution I've chosen for solar with my small 63mm telementors,

and I find it's working perfectly, completely on level with my larger 1.25" Lunt wedge  :D

Here's the setup:

HW1.jpg

In the wedge nose 1.25" adapter I have a Baader UV/IR-cut as additional ERF.

while on the eyepiece end I have :

* a 0.965"/1.25" EP adapter from astronomy-shoppe +

* a 1.25" 2x short barlow from ATC with a Baader ND3.0 filter.

This is my fixed and safe basic solar setup for small refractors.

This allows me to plug in 1.25" eyepieces as well as 0.965 ditto (with a reducer, as shown), and on both options I can easily use additional standard 1.25" filters such as SC, single pol or narrowband, screwed into the eyepiece or reducer threads.

Easy and safe to change eyepieces and filters, without accidentially swapping out the ND3 and exposing the eye to the still damaging 5% exit continuum energy from the wedge... :blackeye:

Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 08 May 2015 - 01:27 AM.

#46 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Chas

It will probably easily end up over $700, it is simply mint

#47 turk123

turk123

Gemini

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

The Fitz telescope mentioned earlier will be arriving at my house in a few minutes.  It's just passing through . . . .I'll take some pictures.

#48 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

Neil's Tasco 6TE-5, like new, 1960's, complete, $50 on Amart....

http://www.astromart...ified_id=886268

Classic eyepieces - University Optics - Apogee - Celestron - from Allan....

http://www.cloudynig...ogee-celestron/

Who knows?   Maybe one of these will fit your Classic EQ mount....

Selection of Bearings For Mounts - $200 for all of them on Amart....

http://www.astromart...ified_id=886332

#49 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

17hrs to go, and the clock is ticking  :lol:

#50 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Show the   LITTLE PEOPLE all of the neat stuff like you do.

Er. and who are you referring to here in this statement , Frank ?

starting to sound like a trial

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics