•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Forum title or description suggestion

EAA
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
139 replies to this topic

#126 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

This thread is about coming up with an updated description to complement the title of this forum.

The thread is already 5 pages long. Please stick to the OT. 

Clear Skies!

--Dom

#127 flyingcougar

flyingcougar

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

The co-moderators of EAA and CN administrators are currently in a discussion regarding the subject of this topic along with the recommendations that have been made. These discussions include; forum title, description, and structure of the forum. Some of you know that this subject was discussed less than a year ago and some changes were implemented from these discussions. Many of the CN folks involved during that process are still with us today and are providing valuable input.

Please be patient with the process and we will keep you posted. PLEASE let’s keep the posts to this thread on-topic and, most importantly, following the basic Terms of Service guidelines.

Thank you,

#128 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Skylab

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

FWIW I think the title of the forum title  of EAA is OK! The description should include cameras and IIEs. But then, who knows what the future will bring? Maybe I am being overly optimistic.

#129 lollywater

lollywater

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

I am relatively new to video astronomy. If I google EAA no astronomy sites come up. If I google video astronomy all the sites relate to astronomy and cloudy nights comes up 14th. Are you trying to keep video astronomy a secret from the world?

#130 lollywater

lollywater

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

To be fair ,Cloudy Nights does  come up first when you google Electronically Assisted Astronomy ,but  all the other sites that follow then refer to it as Video Astronomy.  Cloudy Nights appears to be going it alone.

Paul

#131 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

Paul,

Food for thought. 

CN as a whole is a very active Astronomy site.  Normally, one begins the hobby (Astronomy) then branches out.  There are many CN members who frequent this forum because it's one of the many CN Forums.  Some pursue EAA down the road and ask questions here.  Others may read the posts and buy EAA equipment without us knowing.

I believe more people find this forum because of the CN Site as a whole.  It should also be noted that the EAA Forum is very likely more active than other forums elsewhere that have Video appearing in the name.

I don't think there's any ramifications using EAA because the forum itself is on an extremely active site...Cloudy Nights.

David B in NM

#132 Lorence

Lorence

Apollo

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

FWIW I think the title of the forum title  of EAA is OK! The description should include cameras and IIEs. But then, who knows what the future will bring? Maybe I am being overly optimistic.

The name or description of a camera is of no consequence, It is how the equipment is being used that defines EAA.

I can take just about any camera that can be controlled electronically and use it as an EAA device. Are discussions to be limited to only those cameras favored by a few influential forum participants?

Take a look at what has been going on in this hobby lately and tell me what is coming next. We have not even seen the tip of the EAA iceberg yet and people want to describe it.

#133 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

Lorene, the main thing I am hoping for is to further clarify what we do. Two things might come of it, one so people are not misdirected from other more applicable sections (like mounts), but also to allow freedom for those experimenting to post here.

#134 HxPI

HxPI

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

I'm not an EAA expert but I've been following this debate for a bit. It seems to me EAA is about using technology to enhance and share the view of the cosmos. Things you can't see clearly with the eye alone can be enhanced using EAA. Also, sharing these enhanced views with others can be better facilitated using EAA. I agree the equipment is irrelevant, as others have mentioned. What is relevant is the fact that whatever you are using, it is giving you an enhanced view of the night sky compared to just looking through the eyepiece with your own eye, or two eyes. The synergy and synthesis of analog and digital is part of technological advance. I can only imagine how past astronomers and observers would have felt if they had access to the technology available today!

So why not call it Enhanced Observing Astronomy? For more specific focus, call it Electronically Enhanced Observing Astronomy. Also would it make more sense to have this as a subdirectory in Observing? Equipment discussions occur in that forum as well. For the naysayers, the Solar Observing and Imaging is in there as well! The primary focus is on providing an enhanced observing experience. It's not specifically imaging, although it can be.

Regardless of what is decided, I hope everyone can enjoy sharing their ideas without concern!

Enjoy the skies!

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 14 June 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#135 JKoelman

JKoelman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

Who else thinks 'Optoelectronic Assisted Astronomy' would be a better name for this forum?

'Optoelectronic Observing'?

Edited by JKoelman, 22 June 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#136 Lorence

Lorence

Apollo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

Who else thinks 'Optoelectronic Assisted Astronomy' would be a better name for this forum?

'Optoelectronic Observing'?

Why not something a little more meaningful. Along the lines of

"Use Averted Vision??? You have got to be kidding!!!" 

or maybe

"Did you say Night Vision or Naught Vision?"

how about

"Recycle those eyepieces, turn them into something useful."   :)

#137 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

How about Eyepiece Replacement Technology (ERT)?

#138 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

Interesting how the term 'eyepiece' is analogous to the term 'mouthpiece' for musical instruments. The technical term for an eyepiece could be considered to be 'ocular lens assembly', but the 'ocular lens assembly' forum is simply called the eyepiece forum. While some seem to not care much for accurate descriptions and etymology, I end to think its at least good to know that stuff when trying to think of a good term for a new technology.

#139 JKoelman

JKoelman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

While the scientific term 'optoelectronic' in the title of this forum would provide us with technically the better title, the reactions to this proposal make it clear that many forum users see such a scientific term as a hurdle towards welcoming new users.

If we stick with the term EAA, the forum description could perhaps explain the 'why' (next to the 'what') of adding electronics into the optical path. For instance:

--------------
Electronically Assisted Astronomy

A forum to share and discuss the use of electronic image capturing and rendering devices (e.g. image intensifiers, cameras, and video) for (semi-)live astronomical observation. Electronic image capturing and rendering enables both the scale and the brightness of the image on the retina to be amplified, where optics alone (a system based on lenses, prisms and mirrors) is incapable of intensifying the brightness of the image on the retina.
--------------

#140 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the fresh perspective.

By the way, after researching the term 'Electrotelescope' more, I've become convinced that it might be a really good term to use for our equipment.

Edited by Relativist, 27 June 2015 - 01:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics