•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen HR 6x21 ED monocular and two 6x32 binoculars comparison

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Joe!

One disadvantage I can see with Vixen 6x21 is that it lacks a clip. And if it had one it's pretty thick and heavy carrying in, for example, a shirt pocket. Actually I am interested in Vixen 4x12(these Vixen 4x12 and 6x16 are available under Opticron brand as well) as a complement. That has not either a clip but is much smaller and lighter.

Patric

Edited by Swedpat, 04 December 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#27 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Thank you Joe!

One disadvantage I can see with Vixen 6x21 is that it lacks a clip. And if it had one it's pretty thick and heavy carrying in, for example, a shirt pocket. Actually I am interested in Vixen 4x12(these Vixen 4x12 and 6x16 are available under Opticron brand as well) as a complement. That has not either a clip but is much smaller and lighter.

Patric

The 5x15 Nikon monocular I had was just a little underpowered for me. But for the price, I may get a 4x12 anyway :)

#28 tom6

tom6

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

There are 2 Opticrons 4x12 Gallery scope 89£ and Oregon 39£.The specs are the the same.(219f FOV, 14mm ER, 58X32mm).Any expierence with them? I like the idea for such a small tool.Are they good for eyeglasses?The vixen 4x12 has BAK7 Glass and are  more expensive.Are they the same?

Edited by tom6, 17 December 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#29 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

My Vixen  6x16 can be used with glasses, but I can't see the entire field of view. The 6x21 might be better for eyeglass wearers. I don't know about the Opticron models - they aren't sold in the U.S. as far as I can tell.

#30 andriyg

andriyg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hi Patric, thanks for sharing your experience, I have the zeiss 6x20b monocular, and it's very good instrument, I think it's best portable monocular 50g. After reading  your review, I became interested in to buy this one, but didn't find any more information about this particular model, tell me please two things. The focusing mechanism is Slide tube (folding) or Rotating eyepiece. And the last one, it's the metal tubing or just rubberized plastic tubes. Thank you.

#31 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Hi Patric, thanks for sharing your experience, I have the zeiss 6x20b monocular, and it's very good instrument, I think it's best portable monocular 50g. After reading  your review, I became interested in to buy this one, but didn't find any more information about this particular model, tell me please two things. The focusing mechanism is Slide tube (folding) or Rotating eyepiece. And the last one, it's the metal tubing or just rubberized plastic tubes. Thank you.

Hi andriyg, and sorry for the long delay for me to answer. I have not been active for a while at CN but now and then I log in and read a bit.

I will answer your questions:

Focusing: it's rotating. The friction feels perfect; not too hard but will not move by itself.

Tubing: what I can see it's metal covered by a pretty thick rubber layer. This provide a good nonslip grip.

Be free to ask if you have more questions!

Regards, Patric

#32 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hi Patric,

I read your review several years ago, and like andriyg, have been interested in a 6x20B and was able to purchase one a few days ago in as new condition. It has exceeded my expectations for its diminutive size, and will be a great item to include my travel kit.

I've had a Manon 7x50 monocular which has been a favorite for a long time, but the tiny Zeiss is the clear front runner for optical quality and convenience.

Thank you for posting this thread ! waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

• Swedpat and Starman27 like this

#33 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:16 AM

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply and picture!

I am sure you will continue to like the 6x20!

• Mike E. and gribley like this

#34 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:30 AM

I took some pictures with the Vixen 6x21 ED and uploaded them to an album. Due to the large ocular lens and eye relief it is easy to use with glasses. A bit heavy at 150g, but quality optics. No colors. A bit blurry on the border, but only noticable in photographs, my eye does not detect it. Works even against the sun, good glare control. Even pleasant at night, stars are rendered as points.

Yosemite Valley
Album: Vixen 6X21 ED Monocular
8 images
0 comments

• Swedpat likes this

#35 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:08 AM

I took some pictures with the Vixen 6x21 ED and uploaded them to an album. Due to the large ocular lens and eye relief it is easy to use with glasses. A bit heavy at 150g, but quality optics. No colors. A bit blurry on the border, but only noticable in photographs, my eye does not detect it. Works even against the sun, good glare control. Even pleasant at night, stars are rendered as points.

Thanks for pictures! My experience is the same as your!

#36 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

I just ordered one of the Vixen HR 6x61 ED monoculars,based on the reviews and comments on this thread, at a price that seemed to low to be true however the retailer has a great return policy, so we will see when it arrives, Dave.

#37 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

ihf,

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos.

Reading through this thread again, it occured to me how much I miss the wonderful contributions of Tom Corbett.

I wonder what became of Tom?

I seem to recall "Tom Corbett" was not his original Cloudy Nights user name, but cannot remember what his original moniker was.

The answer to that would make a good Million Pound final question in imaginary "Cloudy Nights" version of the popular TV quiz show "Who wants to be a millionaire"! lol.gif

Kenny

• ihf likes this

#38 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

Well I received mine yesterday all for the grand price of $122 Canadian though I see the price is back up to $350 Canadian, so I guess I dropped on the deal of the day?, I,m very happy with it, minor things are a belt loop on back of the case would have been nice and the neck strap is a bit on the long side, I would have preferred a wrist strap. Optical performance and construction are A1, I just hit 71 so this was a birthday present to myself,grin.gif Dave.

#39 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

I am glad it works for you and congratulations to a great price! I got mine directly from Amazon.co.jp.

I don't use the case (nice but way too bulky), instead store the monocular in a small neoprene pouch (also usable for eye pieces). I also got for the objective lens a small 35mm scope flip cap. It shipped straight from China and the product disappeared on Amazon, so no point in listing here. Vortex, Butler Creek, Monstrum, Aukmont all offer similarly sized caps (about USD 5-10). They also work a little bit to shield the lens from stray light. For the okular side the flip cap did not work for me, as it makes the eye end unwieldy and takes away from they eye relief that I need for my glasses. Hence I use the simple original push on cap. Having to hold only one cap in my hand while using the monocular is still an improvement.

• Binojunky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics