•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the Mak-Newt people?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#26 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Yes, no dealers carry them in the US currently.
  • RocketScientist likes this

#27 jm510227

jm510227

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

i think Markus Ludes (APM) in Germany offers  Russian made MN & MC optical sets, custom made OTAs (by Mattias Wirth), and Intes-Micro standard offerings. VAT and shipping $ extra.

If the US $ keeps going up, might be a (relatively) inexpensive time to buy. 

Ludes does exchange rate based transactions.

Jim Miller/Tulsa

• Star Ship likes this

#28 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

I paid $1799 AUD for mine, which on the current exchange rate is $1413 USD.  It is alot of money if compared to say an equivalent size newt with a Baader Coma Corrector (for example), but its way cheaper than an equivalent APO. I also have a 10" f5 carbon fibre imaging newt (a ATM) and while it is nice, and weighs about the same as the M190, it can't produce the sharpness and contrast that the MN can (and no diffraction).  Shooting subs on the same target the MN is better in my opinion.  It would be nice to have a 10" MN but the weight will always be an issue and that would mean I have to buy a bigger mount.

I did look at getting an Intes-Micro from APM but the cost of the equivalent scope was out of the question when compared to the Skywatch MN190 and then there was the shipping, and other costs to get it here.  Right now the Skywatcher seems to be the most cost effective MN. Of course ES has their David Levy Comet Hunter version, which you can buy in the US, but the size and glass quality doesn't seem comparable.

Edited by glend, 20 May 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#29 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

Teleskop Service has them for 1259 euros including 19% VAT. US buyers would pay about $1175 (-19% VAT +11% exchance).

Edited by rkayakr, 21 May 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#30 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Yes, no dealers carry them in the US currently.

http://www.optcorp.c...06048cf-04.html

• solarviewer likes this

#31 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of the Intes line when I wrote that.

#32 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

I think the scope that the OP mentioned and is in discussion is the Skywatcher MN190 Mak-Newt. My reference was for the Skywatcher MN190 at Teleskop Services.

#33 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

I loved everything about my 6" Explore Scientific David Levy Comet Hunter save two things, one easily fixable and the other not... It was a PITA to use on a EQ without rotating rings.  Easy fix. Buy the right ring. It also took a while to cool down. Not so easy to fix without voiding the warranty. Gave views to rival my 5" APO for sure.

#34 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

I have the Orion 190 MN version as one of my  astrophotography scopes. On the heavy side, but it performs so well for what I paid for it, that as long as I'm able to lift it, I'm keeping it!

Edited by HaleBopper, 22 May 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#35 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

I have the Orion 190 MN version as one of my  astrophotography scopes. On the heavy side, but it performs so well for what I paid for it, that as long as I'm able to lift it, I'm keeping it!

I am still trying to figure out what heavy means to most of you???    A 20 pound scope is not heavy.   Well, not to me. 

#36 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

I am still trying to figure out what heavy means to most of you???    A 20 pound scope is not heavy.   Well, not to me. 

Good for you.

#37 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Good for you.

By the time I added the rings, a MoonLite focuser, and a Losmandy dovetail, my Orion 190MN was closer to 30 pounds. That is still less than something like my old tricked out C11 or my TOA 130, but it was heavier than my TEC 140.

Everything is relative and if you are dealing with lumbar spinal issues, even my 10 pound TEC Mak is "too heavy" sometimes. :p

Cheers,

Ron

#38 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

Good for you.

By the time I added the rings, a MoonLite focuser, and a Losmandy dovetail, my Orion 190MN was closer to 30 pounds. That is still less than something like my old tricked out C11 or my TOA 130, but it was heavier than my TEC 140.

Everything is relative and if you are dealing with lumbar spinal issues, even my 10 pound TEC Mak is "too heavy" sometimes. :p

Cheers,

Ron

I guess I look at it from a healthy point of view. Sorry if I did not consider people with health issues.  Guess someday I will have that issue.  Close to 70 now and still doing good.  Maybe I should say some more prayers tonight.

• RAKing and gene 4181 like this

#39 DaveG

DaveG

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

The ES David H. Levy Comet Hunter I own is my first mak-newt, and I am absolutely in love with it. Weight is not an issue due to it being carbon fiber, and collimation seems to hold well. For me, it's a keeper.

#40 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

I currently own 3 Maks and really find the 8" doesnt get used too much. It may end up on the classifieds here

#41 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

• Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi Guy's I have a 10" f 5.5 intes mak newt  and it's a beast but the views are to die for. :)

Edited by Tom yates, 27 May 2015 - 03:24 PM.

• Colin exraaf and workingspliff like this

#42 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

Tom how does the 10" Intes cope with the UK winter dew? Are you heating the corrector, using fans?

#43 davidpitre

davidpitre

Skylab

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

The CO will make people gasp -- 40%  :shocked:

This is not typical for a visual use Mak/Newt. Most are considerably smaller.

There is little reason why a Mak/Newt should have a significantly  larger secondary obstruction than a simple Newt. For their aperture, they will generally have smaller secondary obstruction than a SCT or Mak/Cass. A 10" f/5 can have a central obstruction in the low 20%. http://www.apm-teles...d-delivery.html

The 6" Comet Hunter has around a 30% obstruction.

Edited by davidpitre, 30 May 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#44 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

Checking in.  I think one big problem re: weight is not so much the OTA, but the currently available mounts onto which you've got to lift them. The original mount for my Vega was (as you can see in the avatar) a short pedestal mount, and it was quite easy to place the tube into the cradle.  However, longing for a steadier and goto mount, I've fallen into an Atlas, and put rotating rings on the OTA.  The rings themselves are quite heavy, maybe 4-5 lb, and the Atlas, like most mounts today, is designed to be a one size fits all mount...long legs for the refractors and SCTs, even when collapsed to their limit.

IMO, the MN design really needs to be incorporated into both OTA and mount to make it reasonably portable...but of course that would boost the advertised price considerably, and further limit accessibility to the general population.

• TG likes this

#45 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

~

Checking in.  I think one big problem re: weight is not so much the OTA, but the currently available mounts onto which you've got to lift them. The original mount for my Vega was (as you can see in the avatar) a short pedestal mount, and it was quite easy to place the tube into the cradle.  However, longing for a steadier and goto mount, I've fallen into an Atlas, and put rotating rings on the OTA.  The rings themselves are quite heavy, maybe 4-5 lb, and the Atlas, like most mounts today, is designed to be a one size fits all mount...long legs for the refractors and SCTs, even when collapsed to their limit.

IMO, the MN design really needs to be incorporated into both OTA and mount to make it reasonably portable...but of course that would boost the advertised price considerably, and further limit accessibility to the general population.

Hear, hear. I would love a pedestal for my AVX to use with a 6" MN but none is available for it.

Tanveer.

#46 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:04 AM

Us Mak-Newt owners have special breeds of cats.

Here's my Mathias-Wirth MN86.  I weight reduced by about 3-4 pounds a set of old Cave rotating rings by having the inner rings scalloped out and pockets machined on the outer rings.

The entire tube assembly as you see it pimped out on the Mach 1, dovetail included, weighs "just" 35 pounds.   Even my Losmandy G-8 handles it rather well.  

Tiny (16.6%) central obstruction.

Great scope!

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• MW MN86.jpg
  • MW MN86 secondary.jpg

• tim53, Traveler, Colin exraaf and 2 others like this

#47 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Nice scope. Why the binoviewer if your concerned about weight?

#48 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Nice scope. Why the binoviewer if your concerned about weight?

Thanks.  I always use bino-viewers as I much prefer the view with both eyes.  

Trouble is for a GEM mounted newtonian style scope there is a modest weight and off-axis torque penalty associated with their use so I typically add an aft ring and weight which is counterpoise to the focuser.  So to help compensated for the added weight, I look for ways to take weight off elsewhere on the scope and in this case the rotating rings were targeted (the stock MN86 did not have rotating rings).  Considering the stock, bare MW MN86 is ~ 25-26 pounds, the extra weight for bino-viewer is not that much in an absolute sense. 

Also, a standard Intes mak-newt weighs in at ~40 pounds for the bare tube assembly and is a brute to move around and, as a goal, I wanted to keep it GM-8 "friendly".

Also, also, I wanted to keep the system weight down to that of my old AP 178 F9 triplet when similar bling has been added to the tube assembly.  The two tube assemblies are within a half pound of each other.

A well done mak-newt really can rival an equal aperture APO in image quality.  

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff B, 31 May 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#49 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Does anyone know what the CO is for the SW 190 Mct/Newt?

Jeff, does your MN86 with its small CO still illuminate longer focal length 2" eyepieces?  

Bill

#50 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

I have a wonderful Skywatcher MN190 Mak-Newt, but they seem to be orphans on Cloudy Nights. Where do they hang out?

Not many Mak-Newts are sold globally I suspect.  I've had a couple.  I prefer a straight Newt to a Mak-Newt to be honest.  It's just simpler, lighter and cheaper, with few drawbacks other than diffraction spikes from the spider arms.  I don't dislike them by any means.  I just don't find that they add enough extra compared to the more common similar alternative.

- Jim 

• Jeff B likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics