•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the Mak-Newt people?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#151 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Same here in SW Ohio, USA.  The upper atmosphere has not begun to really cool off yet and the seeing can hold up well for a good hour or so.  Then it may get worse until about midnight when it steadies out again.

Had my Intes MN 76 out the other night and it performed splendidly.  Jupiter was steady and sharp.

Jeff 

• gene 4181 likes this

#152 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Just bumping this up and I wanted to ask for some links to images taken through the MN190, or other Mak-Newts used for imaging. I have been doing alot of imaging lately using my new ZWO ASI1600MM cooled camera on the MN190 and am pretty pleased with the performance of the Mak-Newt.  It's a good match for the ASI1600 chip and pixel scale, and is giving me great resolution.  Importantly, the ASI1600 chip is a new generation CMOS device with high sensitivity and extremely low noise, making short exposure imaging, and video imaging, pretty easy for most of us. I am not an expert at imaging by any stretch but I do enjoy it, and this is my first serious astro camera after moving up from my old Canon 450D dslr. I have some images taken through the MN190, using both the ASi1600 and my Canon, in my public gallery on Astrobin, if anyone wishes to have a look they are here:

http://www.astrobin.com/users/glend/

The top couple of rows of the gallery thumbnails are all ASi1600 test images through the MN190, with many of those lower down taken with my cooled full spectrum DSLR on the MN190. To see larger images just click on the thumbnail to open the description page for that image and click of the image again to go to full screen mode.

I must admit the stock focuser concerns me, but I am still using it to produce these images, but I think I will swap over to a Moonlight now that Ron has got the correct adaptor for the MN190 in production.  Can we get some feedback from the guys beta testing that adaptor - Ron had indicated to me that there were some in the hands of testers now.

Remember, if your imaging through your Mak-Newt, send us a link.

• 3 i Guy, denis0007dl, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#153 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Nice stuff

#154 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

There are many ASI178mc/MN190 images in my Astrobin account. I just got my ASI1600mm cool and am still trying to get SGP to work.

#155 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

I've done a bit of imaging through my Skywatcher MN190, see my astrobin or the thread here:  http://www.cloudynig...-myt-and-mn190/

I was working through a potential issue with the focuser before traveling and now it's monsoon season in the southwest, so it'll be a few months before I get any more through it.  But so far, I enjoy the scope and hope to use it for quite a bit more imaging in the future 

#156 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

I recently bought an Orion MN190 for Video Astronomy with my Lodestar and SX-825 camera's and have been very pleased. I did upgrade the focuser to a Moonlite and stepper focus motor though. Easy to collimate, color free, nice coma free field and relatively fast optics.

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 30 June 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#157 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Just wanted to confirm the new MN190 Moonlight focuser adaptor works very well. The new adaptor allows the focuser to be moved up or down the tube slightly which helps center the focuser directly over the secondary. The original Moonlight adaptor did not provide adjustability and this was causing issues with focuser upgrades. People were trying to move the secondary to center it and that is a bad idea on the MN190. The Moonlight can be installed without removing the corrector. I will get a photo up soon.

Edited by glend, 09 September 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#158 adrianj

adrianj

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

Just wanted to confirm the new MN190 Moonlight focuser adaptor works very well. The new adaptor allows the focuser to be moved up or down the tube slightly which helps center the focuser directly over the secondary. The original Moonlight adaptor did not provide adjustability and this was causing issues with focuser upgrades. People were trying to move the secondary to center it and that is a bad idea on the MN190. The Moonlight can be installed without removing the corrector. I will get a photo up soon.

I'm very interested in this.  I replaced the focuser on my SW MN190 with a Moonlite a long time ago and had exactly the problem you describe: I had to move the secondary up/down the tube to get it centred in the Moonlite drawtube .... and that's where my (re)collimation headaches began!   The new adapters from Ron would overcome that problem but I wish I had measured the original position of the secondary so I could restore the starting configuration.

I still don't really understand, though, why moving the secondary a little way up/down the tube to align with the new focuser position caused so much difficulty in re-establishing good collimation.

Adrian

#159 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

Love my new Astro-Physics FASTMAX 180 f/4.5mm.....very portable especially on this mount with the AP Eagle Pier.

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender-26.jpg

• Ricky, Exnihilo and Colin exraaf like this

#160 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

Another great night with the aide of my Nexus DSC to show the way to a lot of Deep Sky observing....FullSizeRender-3.jpg

• Exnihilo and Colin exraaf like this

#161 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Apparently Skywatcher has released an 'updated' (DS) version of the MN190, which has gone to the larger 64mm secondary, which is pretty standard for regular Newts of this aperture. People familiar with the history of this scope will recall that the original, and now defunct, Orion version had a 63mm secondary and the Skywatcher version had the 51mm secondary. The 51mm secondary is the subject of most past great reviews of this scope, and provides  improved contrast (smaller central obstruction @26%) than the larger secondary.  I can only assume Skywatcher moved to the larger secondary to reduce possible vignetting when large format dslrs are used. The 51mm secondary was always large enough for sensors up to APS-C size with no vignetting.  In fact on their website, which i just checked, Skywatcher claim the new larger secondary as an enhancement for large format cameras, featuring a 34% central obstruction.

So be aware of the change if your buying an MN190. Some suppliers may still hold stock of the smaller secondary models, certainly Teleskop-Express are still showing it as in stock with the small secondary on their webpage on this scope.  If your looking for that model better check with potential retailers and move quickly while stocks last.

My personal opinion is that the 51mm secondary is the configuration that makes this a great scope, and deliveres the large APO like performance;  its the one i own and which i will never sell. Its now a collectors item as well. Not all 'progress' is good, as pandering to a certain camera configuration diminishes the scope performance both visually and for many smaller format camera owners. 

Edited by glend, 02 March 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#162 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

There has never been a 51mm version at all, the 51mm points to the OD of the front aluminum cap but the minor axial of the 2nd mirror measures close to 59mm (+/- 0.5). I did all the measurement using a caliber on my "older" SW190. 

#163 bandazar

bandazar

Ranger 4

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

They should make these mak-newts telescoping so as to be more portable.  And yes, I know this introduces alignment, cost, and weight issues.

#164 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

There has never been a 51mm version at extension 51mm points to the OD of the front aluminum cap but the minor axial of the 2nd mirror measures close to 59mm (+/- 0.5). I did all the measurement using a caliber on my "older" SW190. 

My comments are based on the scope i have. The properly tilted secondary on my MN190 barely has any noticable edge extension outside the cap viewed from directly in front, certainly nothing like the additional 8mm that you describe. Mine has been checked with a laser oriented by a jig vertically to the cap sides, grazing the outside of the cap. The laser beam lands just on the edge of the secondary mirror and there is no corrector optical effect in that location on the corrector.

It may well be that various secondaries were used in different production runs over the years.

Edited by glend, 02 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#165 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

They should make these mak-newts telescoping so as to be more portable.  And yes, I know this introduces alignment, cost, and weight issues.

My MN 76 is as portable as any scope that weighs 20 lbs, that needs a GEM for it

#166 Drew57

Drew57

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

My ES 152 "Mack the Newt" is 18 lbs out-of-the-case...that's with additional bits on the basic OTA. For its aperture it is very portable IMHO.

I'll lean on my experiences using it...the Comet Hunter is a fantastic f/4.8 scope; in fact I tended to underestimate its capabilities beyond wide-field early on; and have only recently appreciated its value at sub arc-second resolution and planetary views.

In other words, I just needed some good seeing so exceptional views were revealed. With reasonable weight and very sharp correction; using ES 100o EP's at TFOV's from 3.417o @ 24X to .752o TFOV @ 133X ala prima...hard to beat. Some may knock it for 32% CO, but that's never been a problem so far. This Mak-Newt person is right here in MN/WI and on August 21st viewing the solar eclipse with "Mack the Newt" and C90 MAK in Liberty Missouri.

• Astronought likes this

#167 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Here !, waiting for Intes MN68, under construction. (July), with Z. bino head beeing adapted by H.Siebert.

Planned/used astronomic sites 1 of 3 :

5 km home http://www.cloudynig...7233_256301.jpg, I live at sea level.

The site is at alt. 270m to 350m, lowest light pollution zone, and town pollution, but windy except end of summer and may-june

http://atom.lylver.o...s/corbieres.jpg

where I work now , 20mn by car, courtesy of the gite's owner (alt.1600m)

http://atom.lylver.o...z-chatillon.jpg

Est face of the zone Mont-Dores/Sancy where light pollution and moisture are low in summer

http://atom.lylver.o...Sites/sancy.jpg

Edited by lylver, 05 March 2017 - 04:11 AM.

#168 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

I would be more interested in the ES 152 comet hunter MN if it was made in an aluminum tube.  Don't care for the carbon fiber tube for visual.

Bill

#169 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

My 8" f/4 weighs in at 22 lbs.

#170 Saj_37uk

Saj_37uk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:01 PM

Thinking of getting an 190MN. Is it possible to put this on an EQ6-R Pro and use it for astrophotography? If not, what's the minimum mount?

Also what's the feeling with the new "improved" larger secondary? Is this still the legendary scope everyone here loves so much?

#171 HenryB

HenryB

Vostok 1

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:33 AM

A larger than usual secondary (> 18%) for a Mak-Newt would reduce the performance slightly. I think the advantage of a Mak-Newt is a combination of better figured optics (generally) and the smaller central obstruction.

I owned a 10" Mak-Newt that was a poor performer. My C11 would outperform it on most nights but it was nowhere near refractor-like images. So you need good optical quality and a smaller central obstruction.

#172 Saj_37uk

Saj_37uk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:12 PM

Has anyone tried the SW 190MN on an EQ6-R Pro? Any chance it will work well?

#173 HandyAndy

HandyAndy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands and around

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:40 AM

Hi

I have a MN78. Cost me £800 and a bargain.

I asked my friend for a 6" refractor killer. He said this was the best scope at Kelling Heath.

It takes an extra bit of magnification over a 6" Zeiss Coude'.

Been on loan to a friend after his observatory dome stopped working.

Now he has moved I might get it back once a new dome sorted out.

I had a baffle to go in the focusser turned up out of Delrin sized for a 17mm Hyperion field as its the largest illuminated field.

It was used by Jamie Cooper on a Venus transit on Sky at Night.

Andrew

#174 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:46 AM

Thinking of getting an 190MN. Is it possible to put this on an EQ6-R Pro and use it for astrophotography? If not, what's the minimum mount?

Also what's the feeling with the new "improved" larger secondary? Is this still the legendary scope everyone here loves so much?

Had a close look at a near new SW MN190 on our club night last weekend, it was on an EQ6-R.  Visually it was good as newts go, but not in the same class as the Intes maks when it comes to high powers - there was an M715D right beside it, and my MK91.

The EQ6R was fine for visual but it might be a bit under-mounted for imaging due to its length.

From someone else who had adapted one for photography you'll need a new focuser and some adjusting to do to get everything precisely square, the same as for any newtonian.

Edited by luxo II, 15 February 2019 - 04:48 AM.

#175 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:42 AM

Has anyone here changed out the focuser on an ES comet hunter for a rack and pinion? Looking for options (or any option at all ;) ) to switch mine to get rid of crayford slippage with a heavy camera/fw/oag at some point (even though the standard focuser really isn't too bad) - does someone know what focuser(s) and mounting adapters work?

Edited by RaulTheRat, 15 February 2019 - 07:42 AM.

• iKMN likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics