•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are the Mak-Newt people?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

Nice shots Martin!

I loved my MN86, as it held collimation superbly well and gave amazing views. A standing joke was that you could roll it to the mount or even tumble it end over end and it would still be spot on collimated...  built like a tank and almost as pretty. grin.gif Alas, it needed to go bye-bye when Astro-Physics kept discovering my name on ancient “wanna have it” lists (some big glass refractors and coming soon, an old geezers last-hurrah a10” MCT). Hey, I’m weak, what more can I say?

#202 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:09 AM

You sold it?

#203 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

You sold it?

I loved it, but Astro-Physics sent an AP160 and AP175 my way and a 10" AP Mak is due here soon. My sweet wife is more than accommodating to my weaknesses, but I really don't want to push it (indeed, I was going to pass up the AP Mak, but she insisted I "needed" to get it)! flowerred.gif 

• 3 i Guy, John O'Grady and Tyson M like this

#204 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

I loved it, but Astro-Physics sent an AP160 and AP175 my way and a 10" AP Mak is due here soon. My sweet wife is more than accommodating to my weaknesses, but I really don't want to push it (indeed, I was going to pass up the AP Mak, but she insisted I "needed" to get it)! flowerred.gif

It’s best to compromise in that situation Paul and get the Mak. A happy wife is a happy life!

Love the F106 avatar. Saw them at Tyndall in the early 70’s before they later became target drones.

mark

• Paul Hyndman, mgn and John O'Grady like this

#205 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

It’s best to compromise in that situation Paul and get the Mak. A happy wife is a happy life!

Love the F106 avatar. Saw them at Tyndall in the early 70’s before they later became target drones.

mark

Hi Mark, a happy life indeed!

I have many fond memories of Panama City and missions at Tyndall, participating whenever possible (1968-1972...  several of us geezers still keep in touch).

Re:Mak-Newts, I truly enjoyed owning mine and heartily recommend them as an economical solution to anyone wanting to scratch the APO itch.

#206 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

So, do you recommend a MN86??

#207 mgn

mgn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:39 AM

So, do you recommend a MN86??

Many years ago, a very good friend ( and local telescope dealer :-) ) of mine was able to get a set of EQ6 + MN86 for a ridiculously low price somehow, so for a few months I had a 10" SCT and the MN86 simultaneously; and I found that the MN86 knocked spots off the SCT in almost every way. It is rugged, stable, has a large, flat, focal plane ( my Canon Eos 7d does not see any vignetting with the chip at 22mm across), minimal secondary obstruction,  and the imaging was crisper from planetary to DSO. 

The only disadvantage was the lack of back focus,. 

These are the notes I took at the time.

http://mgnastro.org/equipment.html

..."This is the most amazing telescope I have ever had the honour of owning - it outclassed the 10"f10 meade in all respects with the exception of having limited backfocus - and I mean limited. My cheapy kelner 35mm eyepiece cannot even reach the focal point. I had to fit my 2" barrel mounted CCD device ( my starlight Xpress cameras ) inside the crayford focusser to reach the focal point - extremely annoying. The purchase of a DX1 low profile focusser was neccessary and even then there is not enough room for a filter wheel.

See here for how little backfocus there is when the camera is at the focal point.

http://mgnastro.org/...86backfocus.jpg

It is solidly built ( very solid ! ~ 20kg of solid ) - all the screwthreads are metal with plastic endings, ( the meade had awful cheap plastic screws which don't hold tight & wear very easily.). It is well baffled , has a very small central obstruction, has a mirror fan and most importantly provides razor sharp images, easily outperforming my 10"SCT for planetary and deepsky observations.

On the first night I set it up we observed jupiter , m13 and m57. With a 4.8mm nagler I could achieve total focus on all 3 objects , which I could very rarely do with the meade, even with excellant seeing conditions. I could visually see patterns within the bands of jupiter . M13 was truly stunning, and the only way to describe M57 was to compare it with the b&w image I have in my gallery. I couldn't quite see the central star but the ring was clearly in focus, I could see differences in the structure of the ring and it appeared in sharp clear contrast in b&w ( a wonderful example of how eyes are more sensitive in b&w ( night vision with rods ) than colour)."

So to answer your question, *at the time* - I was able to get a MN86 at a seriously rude price; and it was, and still is, a truly remarkable performer - however I see they are now selling  for ~£3-4k. If that is correct, then there are other options I would strongly consider ( 12" truss RC etcetc ), but if you can get a 8" mak newt for ~£2k, then in my opinion a bomb proof, optically high quality astrograph such as the MN86 is hard to beat. 

Edited by mgn, 23 April 2019 - 03:57 AM.

• Paul Hyndman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics