•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nature DX vs Outland X

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jrdroid

Jrdroid

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

I've been trying to figure out the significant differences between these two series of binoculars and it seems the primary differences are that the Nature DX are FULLY multi-coated while the Outland X are just multi-coated and the prisms in the Nature DX are phase coated.  You can get 10x50 Outland X binoculars at Costco for $90, while the 8x42 Nature DX cost about $120.  I'm seriously considering getting one of these two, but can't figure out which I want.  They will be used for both astro and general purpose/wildlife (about a 60-40 split).  Are the superior coatings on the Nature DX going to make a big enough difference to justify spending the extra money and giving up the extra aperture and magnification?  My telescope will still be my primary astro instrument.  Or is there a better choice for a multi purpose bino at about $100?

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

I personally wouldn't even consider a roof prism bino that didn't have phase coatings.   Phase coatings have become a standard for roof prism binos these days; even at the low end of the price range.

If you're on a tight budget and can't afford anything but a cheap, non-PC roof prism bino, consider a Porro prism bino instead.  No phase coatings needed...  You'll get better optical performance for your budget.

Rich

#3 Jrdroid

Jrdroid

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

I personally wouldn't even consider a roof prism bino that didn't have phase coatings.   Phase coatings have become a standard for roof prism binos these days; even at the low end of the price range.

If you're on a tight budget and can't afford anything but a cheap, non-PC roof prism bino, consider a Porro prism bino instead.  No phase coatings needed...  You'll get better optical performance for your budget.

Rich

It isn't that I can't afford a phase coated binocular, the Nature DX 8x42 (and PC Meade Rainforest Pro of the same size) are in my price range.  I've just never really looked through many pairs of roof prism binoculars, most of my experience has been with porro.  As such, I wasn't sure how big a difference the phase coating made in real world applications. 

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

Roof prisms split the light passing through the bino to either side of the roof prism edge; when the light is re-combined it causes a phase shift.  This phase shift causes reduced contrast and resolution compared to the classic Porro prism design.  Phase coating of the roof surfaces corrects this phase shift between sides of the prism so the image isn't degraded.

I've had older style non-phase coated binos and the image seems dull compared to PC roofs or Porro binos.  This is why I don't recommend them; PC roofs are almost universal any more.  There's no need to settle for an inferior bino...

Rich

#5 TomCorbett

TomCorbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

I've just never really looked through many pairs of roof prism binoculars, most of my experience has been with porro.  As such, I wasn't sure how big a difference the phase coating made in real world applications. 

Jrdroid...

If you can get assess to the Pentax DCF ED series--you will get an idea of what a nice quality roof can do for you. 

Click Here -- Pentax DCF ED Series

8x32

8x43

10x43

10x50

...Bob

Edited by TomCorbett, 20 May 2015 - 12:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics