•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first definite GRS sighting!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Even though I've been observing for quite a few years, last night I got my first good, clear look at the GRS.  I've had other occasions where I thought I might have seen it, but on those past occasions I was never really 100% sure, as all that I could definitely say that I saw was a grayish, rather indistinct discontinuity in Jupiter's SEB.  But last night the viewing conditions were really nice, and I looked at Jupiter for the first time with my relatively new (to me, that is) Tak FS-128 5" f/8.1 fluorite doublet apo.  According to S&T, the GRS transited Jupiter's meridian at 7:09 p.m. EST, and I could clearly see it during the evening twilight when I first looked at around 8:00 p.m.  I went inside for a while and came back out after dark at around 9:30 p.m., at which point I could no longer see it, as it had already rotated around to the western limb.  The GRS actually had a distinctly reddish appearance, and unlike my previous attempts to see it, this time there was no doubt about what I had seen.  The best views were with 13mm and 8mm Ethos eyepieces (80x and 130x, respectively).  I viewed a bunch of other objects as well, but this GRS sighting really made my night.

:jump:

• dr.who, choran, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#2 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

I had observed over thirty years before I first saw it. I looked at Jupiter at the wrong times or just ignored the planet altogether.

#3 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Very nice Scott.

As an aid to viewing Jupiter and Saturn, the IOS app "Gas Giants" by Software Bisque is available. This app shows the real time position of the GRS and you can look ahead or back in the time line to find the best time to view it.

Rex

http://www.bisque.co.../GasGiants.aspx

Edited by tomcody, 24 May 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#4 chrysalis

chrysalis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Well that is a very nice scope ! ! ! Congratulations!

I have noticed that I need to block out light in my 12" or up the magnification otherwise the contrast is too low to see it! Really nice view of it on a crisp and clear night about 2.5 weeks ago.

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

I had observed over thirty years before I first saw it. I looked at Jupiter at the wrong times or just ignored the planet altogether.

That's good to hear, Ted.  I actually felt a little silly saying that I've been observing for quite a few years and up until last night could never have said that I definitely saw it. But most of the times I've looked at Jupiter in the past, the GRS was on the other side of the planet, or seeing conditions were horrible, or I used a scope that might not have been capable of seeing the GRS in suboptimal skies.  And I "think" I might have seen it before, but this time I didn't have to wonder about whether I had really seen it or not.  And this was the first time I've looked at Jupiter through a 5" premium apo (my Tak FS-128).  It would have been interesting if I had set up another scope or two to see if I could have seen it through a smaller scope that night, but I didn't want to take time away from observing to do so.

• Lt 26 and dr.who like this

#6 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

Very nice Scott.

As an aid to viewing Jupiter and Saturn, the IOS app "Gas Giants" by Software Bisque is available. This app shows the real time position of the GRS and you can look ahead or back in the time line to find the best time to view it.

Rex

Thanks for the info, Rex.  I'll have to see if there's a similar Android app.

#7 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

Very nice Scott.

Rex

Thanks for the info, Rex.  I'll have to see if there's a similar Android app.

http://www.cloudynig...t/#entry6594469

This may be the app for you?

Rex

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thanks, Rex!  I knew I had seen that somewhere recently, but couldn't remember where.  I'll check out the Jove Moons app.

#9 Silveradogold

Silveradogold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lakewood, Provo, Utah, USA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

That's good to hear, Ted.  I actually felt a little silly saying that I've been observing for quite a few years and up until last night could never have said that I definitely saw it. But most of the times I've looked at Jupiter in the past, the GRS was on the other side of the planet, or seeing conditions were horrible, or I used a scope that might not have been capable of seeing the GRS in suboptimal skies.  And I "think" I might have seen it before, but this time I didn't have to wonder about whether I had really seen it or not.  And this was the first time I've looked at Jupiter through a 5" premium apo (my Tak FS-128).  It would have been interesting if I had set up another scope or two to see if I could have seen it through a smaller scope that night, but I didn't want to take time away from observing to do so.

Yep, it's nice to see the GRS once in a while.

Don't feel bad about being honest about observations.....We need more people like you.

I didn't see it for some years after I got my 120mm, and I would avoid talking about it...lol.

And I think that all the vivid photos showing a very colorful GRS had something negative to do with it too.

Now I see it fairly consistently with my 120mm Newtonian and see it most of the time with my 150mm achro refractor. (not bragging...just adding data for thought).
I notice that good seeing makes it much easier to enjoy and observe.
I am glad you had a good look at it.
Clear Skies ----- Silveradogold :waytogo:

Edited by Silveradogold, 24 May 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

GRS transit times can be found online at http://www.projectpl...om/jeve_grs.htm

Dave Mitsky

#11 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Thanks, Dave!  That's very helpful.

I've also been using the S&T calculator here, but it looks like you now have to register for an account on their website in order to get it to work.

#12 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Don't feel bad Scott. I am in the same boat. *FINALLY* saw the bloody thing a few weeks ago in my UC15 and a friends TSA-120! I was gobsmacked. I spent quite a bit of the night on Jupiter that night which is rare for me as it's my least favorite planet. Mostly because when I looked at it seeing was rubbish. 

I believe Skysafari will tell you where the GRS is in its rotation real time so that may be an option for you going forward.

#13 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

On the subject of what it looked like... In the TSA it was a red oval that was quite clear with what looked like very faint whitish dots in a swirling pattern but that could have been my eye/brain extrapolating what I wanted to see. 

My my guess is with the FS it would be even better with that fluorite element!

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

On the subject of what it looked like... In the TSA it was a red oval that was quite clear with what looked like very faint whitish dots in a swirling pattern but that could have been my eye/brain extrapolating what I wanted to see. 

My my guess is with the FS it would be even better with that fluorite element!

Thanks for sharing your observation, Carson.  I definitely didn't see any whitish dots, just the reddish oval.  The seeing wasn't good enough for that.  And increasing the magnification above 130x (Ethos 8mm) didn't provide any added detail, but the next step up I had available was 173x (Ethos 6mm).

#15 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

Congrats Scott, now that you've definitively seen it, duplicating the feat will be much easier, even on nights of lesser seeing. Enjoy. 

#16 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks, Syed.  Next time I might try to see if I can see the GRS using an apo triplet in the 80-90mm range.

#17 GiantsNerd

GiantsNerd

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

I caught my first definite view of the GRS last night, while looking at the double shadow transit. It really popped out at me, and I wasn't expecting to see it. I checked Stellarium, which said the GRS was not visible at the time. Turned out Stellarium was wrong, the GRS was out, very near the merged shadows of Ganymede and Io. :)

I've found some threads on here and elsewhere on how to correct Stellarium for accurate GRS transits.

Was really excited to be able to see it!

#18 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

Congrats!  Seeing it for the first time is quite a thrill. :ubetcha:

#19 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

Spent over an hour gawking at Jupiter 2x transit last night in my new c9.25xlt and WO binoviewers.  The view was amazing.  The transits looked like eyes and the GRS like an open mouth as if Jupiter was surprised to see me staring at her. (orientation of view put the transits above the GRS).  It was an amazing sight, I'm so addicted to this.  We had good seeing last night in SE Michigan after a strong line of thunderstorms in the late afternoon.  I was really surprised at how good it was.

• Scott in NC likes this

#20 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

Nice report! :waytogo:

#21 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

For windows there is this simple program: http://www.astrosurf.../rondi/Jupiter/

#22 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:45 AM

That's a great first planetary light with the FS128 Scott!

Do I read between the lines that you are mono-viewing?

Adding a quality binoviewer (Baader, TeleVue, Vernonscope or the likes) in the future can improve your planetary viewing even further.

The GRS is easy in your FS102 and should not be too difficult in a 70-80mm refractor. Viewing around the time when the GRS is passing the center of the planetary globe (meridian) is of great help for the smaller apertures. And high in our skies and decent seeing will do the rest. Personally, I love the current color of the GRS. It changes a lot over time.

#23 Illinois

Illinois

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:47 AM

That's great! :waytogo: See GRS is so cool! :cool:

#24 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

That's a great first planetary light with the FS128 Scott!

Do I read between the lines that you are mono-viewing?

Adding a quality binoviewer (Baader, TeleVue, Vernonscope or the likes) in the future can improve your planetary viewing even further.

The GRS is easy in your FS102 and should not be too difficult in a 70-80mm refractor. Viewing around the time when the GRS is passing the center of the planetary globe (meridian) is of great help for the smaller apertures. And high in our skies and decent seeing will do the rest. Personally, I love the current color of the GRS. It changes a lot over time.

Thanks, Erik.  I do have a Denk Standard binoviewer that I bought a few months ago, but haven't yet tried it on Jupiter.  I've also not yet had the opportunity to look at Jupiter with my FS-102 at a time when the GRS was on the correct side of the planet.  I'll have to give this a try sometime before Jupiter gets too low in the western sky again.

#25 Hari Gaurav

Hari Gaurav

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Karnataka, India

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

Good to know Scott  :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics