•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edscorp 6" Space Conqueror Reflecting Telescope

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

Hello all,

I was given this beauty last night by my son in-law. He and his father found it and knew I was into telescopes.

edscorp1.jpg edscorp2.jpg edscorp3.jpg edscorp4.jpg edscorp5.jpg edscorp6.jpg

I'm guessing it's an early to mid 60's model.

It's in very nice condition, the OTA is solid and no dings, the mirror is dirty but looks to be in good condition, the clock drive works. It's missing what appears to be an accessory holder below the eyepiece holder, also the setting circles are broken.

I plan to do a restore on it, but need a copy of the manual and find out what all came with the scope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• A6Q6, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#2 Geo31

Geo31

Cosmos

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Very nice!  That should restore nicely.  It might be nice to install a proper spider and round secondary, but I know that would not keep it original.  Some folks like totally original.  I like period correct upgrades.  Tomayto, Tomahto.  :)

I just had a thought on reproducing the SCs if you can't find originals or don't necessarily care to be 100% original....

Some printers (such as my photo printer) can print on CDs.  You may be able to get a good scan of originals and print them or have the printed on plastic.

• C64ER likes this

#3 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Zinzinnati

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

That is a very nice find indeed! I must have been asleep at the switch on that one. :(

Edited by terraclarke, 29 May 2015 - 01:38 PM.

• C64ER and rowdy388 like this

#4 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

Nice find.   I had one of those and sold it, me bad. :bangbang: 

• C64ER likes this

#5 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

Interesting telescope, and with a single stalk

cool !!

• C64ER likes this

#6 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

You are  going to enjoy your new Edmund.

The UPCO mirror is extremely superb.

The cast iron mount is stable the drive is very nice to use.

Overall a very very fine package.

Your drive motor cover will have a date like I circled in red here.

Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• Dc1423.JPG

Edited by actionhac, 29 May 2015 - 04:37 PM.

• rowdy388 likes this

#7 SDStargazer

SDStargazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Humble, TX.

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

Great looking scope!

#8 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Good luck with your new toy.  :waytogo:

Rich (RLTYS)

#9 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

You are  going to enjoy your new Edmund.

The UPCO mirror is extremely superb.

The cast iron mount is stable the drive is very nice to use.

Overall a very very fine package.

Your drive motor cover will have a date like I circled in red here.

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert! Mine is stamped 12 70!

Awesome to know.

Dan

#10 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

The holes down and off to the side of the focuser are for a bracket that holds the camera rod or projection screen accessory. 

try this link:

http://www.cloudynig...ier/?hl= edmund

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0938.JPG

• C64ER, terraclarke and rowdy388 like this

#11 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

The holes down and off to the side of the focuser are for a bracket that holds the camera rod or projection screen accessory. 

try this link:

http://www.cloudynig...ier/?hl= edmund

Thanks very much!

By any chance do you have a copy of the manual? Been looking but no luck.

#12 DemosL

DemosL

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dale City, VA, USA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have the smaller sibbling - the 4.25" Palomar, which my dad bought me in 1969. 

• BarabinoSr and C64ER like this

#13 rowdy388

rowdy388

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:48 PM

I have the same scope from 1968.  I was going to answer your questions but I see the experts here have already given them to you.  I listed my particular scope for sale on this sight a while back (Hi, Terra!) but decided to keep it after all.  It does give some nice views.  I don't like the idea of trying to update a classic like this but I found I couldn't observe with the OTA bolted directly to the cradle.....I don't know enough yoga positions to twist my body to the crazy focuser angles.  You can get some rings for about $50 to make it much easier.  The finder is tough to use as well for the same reason so I lovingly set it aside and substituted a red dot finder.   

The funky focuser...well, I can live with that but most modern eyepieces will lack back-focus and a heavy eyepiece will easily slip out of the compression fitting at an awkward observing angle.  Best to stick with light, simple eyepieces with this scope.

The tracking works fine for visual.  Overall a great planetary, double star scope.

Frankly, to restore this scope, you have everything original already.  The clock drive was an option.  As already stated, those four holes below and behind the focuser is normal and was for optional hardware to mount a heavy SLR camera above the focuser.  They annoyed me so I just put in some white plastic plugs from a hardware store to make it smooth.  Any other questions just ask here.

Best Regards, Dave Y

• BarabinoSr, C64ER and terraclarke like this

#14 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the info folks.

I think I have decided to update the scope a little while keeping the original look as much as possible since this is not a rare or expensive scope.

I took it out last night and the view of Jupiter was stunning for a filthy mirror, all four moons were crisp and the two major cloud bands stood out very well so I have good hopes for this scope.

The tube is perfect except for a few paint chips and dirt so I'm going to sand it and repaint it, replace the focuser, and find a good right angle finder.

The clock drive works, the mount and pier are solid, just needs a proper cleaning and lubrication.

This will be a fun project and a good scope when done.

• BarabinoSr and terraclarke like this

#15 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

Great acquisition ! :waytogo:   I also have a  4.25" Palomar OTA. and optically it is excellent. Glad to see that this scope is in capable hands .Kudos to your son in law for rescuing it for you.  Gary

• C64ER likes this

#16 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

Okay my ADD is killing me.  :lol:

The more I look at this scope the more my mind wanders as to what I want to do to it, I'm leaning towards a custom build DOB mount and some mods to the OTA.

My question to the group is I know this scope is not rare or carries a high value, so am I wrong in making this a more modern scope by changing the focuser, putting on a right angle finder scope, and spider secondary mirror?

I know I could buy a good 6" reflector for this and spend about the same or less than the upgrades, but I like to mod things.  :)  I do this with old Ham Radio gear I get from time to time.

So do I just clean it up as is and sell it, or go for modding?

Edited by C64ER, 08 June 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#17 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

Actually, a complete 6" Edmund F8 with that particular mount and of that vintage, with the drive is rather rare. I would urge you to keep it in it's present condition, just cleaning, painting, etc. It would be a shame to mod a complete telescope. If you want a 6" dob, sell the Edmund and buy a new one. You could get pretty much the price of a new dob for what you would get for your 6" Edmund. Of course, it is your telescope to do with as you please.

Edited by terraclarke, 08 June 2015 - 09:34 AM.

• C64ER, clamchip, catboat and 1 other like this

#18 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

Actually, a complete 6" Edmund F8 with that particular mount and of that vintage, with the drive is rather rare. I would urge you to keep it in it's present condition, just cleaning, painting, etc. It would be a shame to mod a complete telescope. If you want a 6" dob, sell the Edmund and buy a new one. You could get pretty much the price of a new dob for what you would get for your 6" Edmund. Of course, it is your telescope to do with as you please.

Good advise. What would be a good target price for a scope like this?

I'm not up on classic scope prices, I know it's a wide question to ask but just a ballpark figure.

#19 rowdy388

rowdy388

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

I strongly agree to not mod this into something it is not.  Getting rings to make it easier to use would not really be modifying it.

For the price of a new focuser, spider, and mount you could buy a new Zhumell 8" f/6 dob and modify it to your hearts content and then have two completely different types of scopes to play with, one with rock-solid tracking and EQ at f/8 for planetary and double stars, the other for deep space.  They just don't make scopes like this anymore so losing a good sample seems like a waste.  That scope is a time machine.  Some parts of it are as good as or better than anything today, and other parts are funky and annoying compared to today's standards.  When I bring out my original Edmund, I go back into the past just like the ancient light hitting my mirrors.

Dave Y

• clamchip, catboat, madeline and 1 other like this

#20 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:23 AM

So very well said Dave! +1
  • rowdy388 likes this

#21 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Looks like you folks are making my mind up for me.  :)

I really do hate to mess up a classic scope, especially one with such a great view for it's vintage.

I'm going to clean up the mirrors today, scrub the tube and decide if I'm going to sell it to fund another one or keep it.

Dan

• catboat, terraclarke and rowdy388 like this

#22 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

Here's my 6" and 4.25" mounts, fully restored. Tons of stainless and other mods. However, the mods are all reversible to original with no added holes or drill outs.  Notice the thumb screws on the 4.25 and the clamping knobs (home made) on the 6 that hold the pier cap on. These are a great way to make the mount adjustable in AZM, particularly with my custom cap washers. All the original hardware is kept in the labeled bags.  

I can only go by your pictures but the condition appears to be above average if it's all original, and not very easy to find outside a refurbish or restoration. Go ahead and DOB it if you want, but I'd do it in a reversible way with clamp rings and I'd keep all the rest so it could go back to it's mount eventually. This one looks nice.  Here's a link to an 8" finder scope I had that also had mount rings for the DOB option.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=581408

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0989.JPG

• C64ER and Bomber Bob like this

#23 C64ER

C64ER

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

I know this an old thread but this spring I'm going to start restoring it. Not a lot to do other than a tear down and replacing some hardware.

My question is does anyone make new (or have replacement) setting circles?

Everything else is solid except for the circles.  :undecided:

#24 catboat

catboat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

For the original circles, you may have to advertise here and on Astromart.  Someone will have them squirreled away.  Also, there’s Don Rothman at Astro Parts Outlet.  Best to call him.

http://astronomy-mal...o.parts.outlet/

As a stop gap:  Bill Vorce of Telescope Warehouse sells surplus Meade circles in 3” and 4” diameters that you may be able to modify (thin aluminum) without too much sweat.  Cheap too.

http://shop.telescop...2&categoryId=-1

If flat discs are needed,  Bill’s ebay site (“scopehed1”) has flat 3.5” diameter dec circles and 4” diameter aluminum blanks.  If you can bore them out to the shaft size, you could glue a print-out to them. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#25 rag2411

rag2411

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Hi, we have received an Edscorp 6" Reflecting Telescope, like this one.  There are a couple of issues, the mirror got moisture on it and has black dots on it.  

The other issue is the piece  that connects the white part with the base is frozen, so how do you get it apart?

Thanks,

Rita 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics