•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Project Moonwatch

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#326 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

Seems like a scope i need to put on my bucket list.

#327 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Here are the scans of the flier I describe in my post in this thread just above.

--JWB. 

The 5" lens is attached via the cone to an M-17 (or similar) elbow telescope, replacing the original 50-mm lens from the elbow scope.  I think this is discussed here and there in the forums.

Jim

#328 John Rogers

John Rogers

Ranger 4

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

Here are the scans of the flier I describe in my post in this thread just above.

--JWB. 

attachicon.gif Ridell 5-inch p 1 compressed.jpg

attachicon.gif Ridell 5-inch p 2.jpg

Apparently that was not the only configuration they sold.  I found this some time ago and your post jogged my memory: https://www.worthpoi...lite-1857195653

As far as I know, the official SAO/NRL Apogee scopes were never sold commercially.  My understanding is that they were assigned to various Moonwatch teams and the members were allowed to keep them after the conclusion of the program.

It appears that Ridell jumped on the bandwagon and replicated the NRL design, although it should be noted that that the Ridell instrument is advertised as 25x, while the SAO/NRL model was 20x.  I also notice that Ridell does not advertise theirs as satellite scope, but rather an astronomical or terrestrial instrument.  The additional magnification would not be desirable for Moonwatch, since the Apogee telescope already suffered from a small field-of-view.

It is difficult to tell what differences there are in the two designs.  If Ridell used the M17 eyepiece as is, then the focal length of the objective must have been a little longer.  It would be nice for one to surface and get some measurements performed.

• terraclarke likes this

#329 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

Apparently that was not the only configuration they sold.  I found this some time ago and your post jogged my memory: https://www.worthpoi...lite-1857195653

As far as I know, the official SAO/NRL Apogee scopes were never sold commercially.  My understanding is that they were assigned to various Moonwatch teams and the members were allowed to keep them after the conclusion of the program.

It appears that Ridell jumped on the bandwagon and replicated the NRL design, although it should be noted that that the Ridell instrument is advertised as 25x, while the SAO/NRL model was 20x.  I also notice that Ridell does not advertise theirs as satellite scope, but rather an astronomical or terrestrial instrument.  The additional magnification would not be desirable for Moonwatch, since the Apogee telescope already suffered from a small field-of-view.

It is difficult to tell what differences there are in the two designs.  If Ridell used the M17 eyepiece as is, then the focal length of the objective must have been a little longer.  It would be nice for one to surface and get some measurements performed.

Great information.  Thankswaytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics