•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, Ebay, and other Vintage Telescope Ads.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
623 replies to this topic

#576 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20ffa42d22

Interesting Tasco that I don't recognize. Beefy-looking mount, too.

Yes, these are very nice. Royal Astro optics I believe. 

I was interested, until I saw the shipping cost. I know shipping prices have gone up, but that's a bit much.

It looks like all of the internal wood dividers and storage compartments are missing, as well.

Bad patch job on the inside of the lid.  

I think it's a model 15TE because one photo of the mount shows a screw head that would hold the motor bracket. The model number he lists is probably the serial # on the focuser, which may place it around 1977.  I think it used Styrofoam inserts in the case at that point and the white residue in the cover remains from the two scalloped pieces that closed down on the tube and legs. Stephen...The Tasco Answer Man will be  be able to shed more light on it.  I'm trying to resist.  His packing will have to be meticulous since the case is missing all materials.

Edited by Marc-Andre, 26 July 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#577 ffraley

ffraley

Vostok 1

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

I must be ill.  I've continued to pass up that Unitron 140 on the LA craigslist, hoping that one of you fine folk would pick it up and save me from the palpitations I'm suffering from. :lol:

Then, today, I wake up to this on Craigslist:  http://losangeles.cr...5141201453.html

I kid you not, until these two ads appeared, the LA craigslist ads were pretty unexciting.  But then these two showed up.  

Now, I don't NEED another SCT, and already have 2 sandcast C-8s that are definite keepers.  But this is a very nice sandcast C5, and I've never had one of those.  Nicely equipped, too, for $300 asking price.

I sent the seller an email, but I honestly think it would be better if someone else here grabbed this (and the Unitron, too).  I've got too many projects that I need to work on - including getting my 60 VW singlecab back on the road, wiring up a second taillight for the Model A panel truck, Finishing my Jaegers 6" f/15 OTA after all the years since I started it (Clint wants me to bring it back to CSPAMP in a couple weeks!), and start the permit process for my Cosmic Acres observatory house (I'll build the observatory after the house, so I can stay "legal").  That, an I just spent a bunch of money on an exercise bike this week (I'm overweight and really tired of it).

All that, and I really don't have the room for another scope.  Pretty much every nook and cranny I once had in my garage or shop is now filled with something! ;)

So, save me and do your collection a big favor!

-Tim.

$300 is a good price for that C5. Id love a sandcast C5 but am on a strict moratorium.

I have a buddy in Huntington Beach - pretty close by - who's offered to pick it up any time after 7pm this week, if I can set up the transaction. With two young boys, a C5 has been on my list for summer car camping trips - space in the vehicle is too limited for a C8. 

I must be ill.  I've continued to pass up that Unitron 140 on the LA craigslist, hoping that one of you fine folk would pick it up and save me from the palpitations I'm suffering from. :lol:

Then, today, I wake up to this on Craigslist:  http://losangeles.cr...5141201453.html

I kid you not, until these two ads appeared, the LA craigslist ads were pretty unexciting.  But then these two showed up.  

Now, I don't NEED another SCT, and already have 2 sandcast C-8s that are definite keepers.  But this is a very nice sandcast C5, and I've never had one of those.  Nicely equipped, too, for $300 asking price.

I sent the seller an email, but I honestly think it would be better if someone else here grabbed this (and the Unitron, too).  I've got too many projects that I need to work on - including getting my 60 VW singlecab back on the road, wiring up a second taillight for the Model A panel truck, Finishing my Jaegers 6" f/15 OTA after all the years since I started it (Clint wants me to bring it back to CSPAMP in a couple weeks!), and start the permit process for my Cosmic Acres observatory house (I'll build the observatory after the house, so I can stay "legal").  That, an I just spent a bunch of money on an exercise bike this week (I'm overweight and really tired of it).

All that, and I really don't have the room for another scope.  Pretty much every nook and cranny I once had in my garage or shop is now filled with something! ;)

So, save me and do your collection a big favor!

-Tim.

$300 is a good price for that C5. Id love a sandcast C5 but am on a strict moratorium.

I have a buddy in Huntington Beach - pretty close by - who's offered to pick it up any time after 7pm this week, if I can set up the transaction. With two young boys, a C5 has been on my list for summer car camping trips - space in the vehicle is too limited for a C8. 

Well, if for some reason you don't, it would make a matched pair with my '74 C8. Wow!

#578 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

As of now - 10pm Sunday - the ad is still up.  But I haven't gotten a reply to my email from this morning.  I hope someone here gets it.

-Tim.

#579 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:09 AM

I was interested, until I saw the shipping cost. I know shipping prices have gone up, but that's a bit much.

It looks like all of the internal wood dividers and storage compartments are missing, as well.

I think it's a model 15TE because one photo of the mount shows a screw head that would hold the motor bracket. The model number he lists is probably the serial # on the focuser, which may place it around 1977.  I think it used Styrofoam inserts in the case at that point and the white residue in the cover remains from the two scalloped pieces that closed down on the tube and legs. Stephen...The Tasco Answer Man will be  be able to shed more light on it.  I'm trying to resist.  His packing will have to be meticulous since the case is missing all materials.

Model is the 10TE-5 with REG NO 510600. Serial number of 771080 dates the mfg of the scope around the 1967 time frame.

Yes, this model is a Royal Astro Optical version sold by Tasco as all the 10/15TE/-5 model were.

The Tasco full size sales catalog with ©1974 (no year advertised) that I have has a June 1st, 1974 Dealer Distribution Cost List Sheet. The 10/15TE-5 models are no longer listed in this catalog. Instead they have been replaced with the Towa version of the 10/15K 80mm x 1200mm models.

Marc is correct, this would of had the Styrofoam inserts which are no longer with the scope and or not shown in the auction photos.

With respect to the clock drive holes on the mount. basically all of the Tasco 3 inch mounts had the clock drive holes added to them with serial numbers 570XXX going forward till the end of production with the highest known 97XXXX serial numbers.

#580 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

Deal of the century for you folks down-under

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=321817048344

#581 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Deal of the century for you folks down-under

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=321817048344

I will start swimming to natch that deal up.

Chas

#582 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info Piggyback. It looked so much like my T1 tripod from the hub down, and with no dimensions or way to judge scale, I just figured it was for the alt-az version, which I have only seen once. I would love to see a picture of your complete Asiola outfit. Perhaps you could start a thread.

I found this one on Astromart after a Google search. Anyone know if the add is still active (I don't have AM).

http://www.astromart...ified_id=649307

I have a few of those Zeiss scopes.  They are very nice.  I have one that is brand new.  Someone found a stash of these some time ago.  I was lucky to land a couple.

Edited by starman876, 27 July 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#583 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

C5 ad is gone.  Someone here get it?

-Tim.

#584 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

-Tim.

I sure would have if it was local to me.  

Chas

#585 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

-Tim.

Not I, said the fly. 

#586 ffraley

ffraley

Vostok 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

I wish, but it was gone before I had a pickup arranged.

#587 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Sort of bugs me that he never replied to my email. When I buy or sell something, I always let the other party know if I close a deal with someone else so they don't put thir life on hold for no reason. 

#588 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

I wish, but it was gone before I had a pickup arranged.

It is interesting how that keeps happening.  Wonder whats going on ?

#589 ffraley

ffraley

Vostok 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

Well, I hadn't tried to talk to the seller yet. I didn't want to get in the way of others here who had spoken up before me and start a bidding scene. And didn't want to get involved until I could wrap things up regarding price, payment, and pickup all at once. Just got someone lined up to pick it up this morning, looked, and it was deleted. I still have the picture, though. She sure was pretty <sigh>

#590 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

Model is the 10TE-5 with REG NO 510600. Serial number of 771080 dates the mfg of the scope around the 1967 time frame.

Yes, this model is a Royal Astro Optical version sold by Tasco as all the 10/15TE/-5 model were.

The Tasco full size sales catalog with ©1974 (no year advertised) that I have has a June 1st, 1974 Dealer Distribution Cost List Sheet. The 10/15TE-5 models are no longer listed in this catalog. Instead they have been replaced with the Towa version of the 10/15K 80mm x 1200mm models.

Marc is correct, this would of had the Styrofoam inserts which are no longer with the scope and or not shown in the auction photos.

With respect to the clock drive holes on the mount. basically all of the Tasco 3 inch mounts had the clock drive holes added to them with serial numbers 570XXX going forward till the end of production with the highest known 97XXXX serial numbers.

Resistance is futile.

#591 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

Well, I hadn't tried to talk to the seller yet. I didn't want to get in the way of others here who had spoken up before me and start a bidding scene. And didn't want to get involved until I could wrap things up regarding price, payment, and pickup all at once. Just got someone lined up to pick it up this morning, looked, and it was deleted. I still have the picture, though. She sure was pretty <sigh>

What I meant was that the minute something is posted here the vultures set in.  Some respect the fact that someone else might want the item.  However, in most cases it is every man or woman for themselves.  I have been involved with many sales posted here in which the seller is now looking for the highest bid because so many people who saw the item posted here are trying to buy the item.

#592 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

What I meant was that the minute something is posted here the vultures set in.  Some respect the fact that someone else might want the item.  However, in most cases it is every man or woman for themselves.  I have been involved with many sales posted here in which the seller is now looking for the highest bid because so many people who saw the item posted here are trying to buy the item.

True. Glad i am not into the buying and selling i was doing years back.  

Chas

#593 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Chas

I'm often tempted by the ads linked to here, though I have not yet bid or called on any. I have provided links to a few myself. How do we determine who a 'vulture' is? I'm not trying to be disrespectful; this is an honest question. I thought we were placing the link precisely so folks would be aware of them and be free to make bids or calls.

I'm not an expert on classics, and yet I know enough to help every so often with a link. I appreciate the help that the real experts here give to those of us with less knowledge. I imagine there are folks who know even less than me who have never posted here, but who are searching for information and links to get a classic of their own. Are they vultures? The flippers are not very helpful (except to themselves), but even they are only looking at a public forum to gather information; information freely given, or not, by the choice of folks here on CN.

Is there a suggested etiquette for who can or cannot respond to the links on this thread?

#594 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Chas

I'm often tempted by the ads linked to here, though I have not yet bid or called on any. I have provided links to a few myself. How do we determine who a 'vulture' is? I'm not trying to be disrespectful; this is an honest question. I thought we were placing the link precisely so folks would be aware of them and be free to make bids or calls.

I'm not an expert on classics, and yet I know enough to help every so often with a link. I appreciate the help that the real experts here give to those of us with less knowledge. I imagine there are folks who know even less than me who have never posted here, but who are searching for information and links to get a classic of their own. Are they vultures? The flippers are not very helpful (except to themselves), but even they are only looking at a public forum to gather information; information freely given, or not, by the choice of folks here on CN.

Is there a suggested etiquette for who can or cannot respond to the links on this thread?

The sad truth is that we are all  vultures :lol:  First come first serve.  If you snooze you loose.  We are in this forum because we collect scopes. Some have enough scopes and are here mostly to provide advice. Some just have gotten the bug and are eager to get their hands on some of the scopes posted here.  some just like collecting and there is no end to how many scopes they have.  (you know who you are :lol: )

Flippers visit this site and make good use of the information we provide and where these good deals are.  If you see something you like go for it.  Most likely there will be plenty of others doing the same thing. 

Edited by starman876, 27 July 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#595 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Do you know whether that happened in this case?  Because I didn't see it that way.  I posted the link here after seeing it early Sunday morning, because I knew that, though i've always wanted a C5, I needed to refrain from buying it, and so why not let my friends know it's available.  Would anyone here have even known about the ad if I hadn't posted the link here?

-Tim.

#596 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

I'd have to say that if I was within spittin' distance of that C5, I'd have given it some serious consideration since it was so nice. Then again, as they say, all the good scope deals are in California...  :(

Bill

Edited by kansas skies, 27 July 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#597 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

Chas

There is no etiquette; only one's own view of reasonableness, and the community court of public opinion. 

When Tim posted the link, he revealed an ambivalence. I've known Tim on this board long enough to recognize, I believe, when he is inviting others to pursue something he's posted. He wanted it, yes, but not enough to make the hour's drive. Been there, too. At that point, it's largely open game - because he's invited it.  I indicated my pursuit publicly to let Tim know. If my buddy nearby had picked it up, and Tim subsequently had regrets passing it up, I'd turn around and make it available to him. That's my view of reasonableness. I don't think for a moment that Tim resents my expressed interest..... but I could be mistaken. The ad was deleted before I could coordinate with my local contact, so I had no impact on its eventual disposal.  

The "vulture" designation was ill-considered and unnecessarily flippant - it merits neither serious consideration, nor rebuttal. 

#598 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I guess I was responding on behalf of others who, like me, find it important to be respectful of others. I had not seen a discussion or obvious practice of how to go about respecting others' desire for a particular scope, and was confused by the term 'vulture' for those do not 'respect the fact that someone else might want the item'. I see now that it was not to be taken seriously, since the person who said it now says we are all vultures.

Still, I'm glad I made my comment, since it was not clear at the time, at least to me.

I'll try to lighten up a bit.

#599 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

The First Rule of Craigslist, Ebay and other Vintage Telescope Ads: 

Don't post an ad for something you want to buy

The Second Rule of Craigslist, Ebay and other Vintage Telescope Ads:

Only post an ad for scopes ridiculously under priced

The Third Rule of Craigslist, Ebay and other Vintage Telescope Ads:

Do not mention that an item for sale is ridiculously under priced

(Disclaimer:  These are not the offical rules of the Craigslist, Ebay and other Vintage Telescope Ad thread..)

Edited by Datapanic, 27 July 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#600 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Chas

There is no etiquette; only one's own view of reasonableness, and the community court of public opinion. 

When Tim posted the link, he revealed an ambivalence. I've known Tim on this board long enough to recognize, I believe, when he is inviting others to pursue something he's posted. He wanted it, yes, but not enough to make the hour's drive. Been there, too. At that point, it's largely open game - because he's invited it.  I indicated my pursuit publicly to let Tim know. If my buddy nearby had picked it up, and Tim subsequently had regrets passing it up, I'd turn around and make it available to him. That's my view of reasonableness. I don't think for a moment that Tim resents my expressed interest..... but I could be mistaken. The ad was deleted before I could coordinate with my local contact, so I had no impact on its eventual disposal.  

The "vulture" designation was ill-considered and unnecessarily flippant - it merits neither serious consideration, nor rebuttal. 

I used the term vultures in a comical way. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics