•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASAE and SWAP 2015?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 wilsolr47

wilsolr47

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Amigos Del Cielo Rodeo, NM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

I attended the 2014 program and was very impressed, and I'm hoping there will be another this year. I winter in Tucson and want to make plans for departure from Illinois based on whether or not there will be an opportunity to attend SWAP. Does anyone know the status of this program for 2015?

#2 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• Loc: más y menos

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

Based on an email I received, as of today ASAE is still undecided.

#3 KD58

KD58

Viking 1

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

Got an email from Warren Keller this morning and he is not sure if one is going to take place this year. I think they are working on making it happen but it is by nomeans certain. I went last year and enjoyed it very much.

Khavar

#4 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

I enjoyed SWAP last year as well and was hoping it would happen again. Part of the 'fun' of going is Tucson and the surrounding area. I brought my equipment and setup in several 'black zones' along the way.

San Jose just isn't the same...

Dan

#5 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• Loc: más y menos

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

The vibe of the "old" AIC Was quite different from ASAE. The exhibit side of ASAE was far larger and attracted more of the general public. SWAP played to AIC's strengths and extended the range of topics. Its success did not go unnoticed and now it appears the organizers of AIC are trying to mimic SWAP. Is there an audience for two similar shows basically at the same time of the year, and held in the same region of the country?

#6 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors
  • Loc: WV, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

I wouldn't go as far as 'mimic' Jim. Astrophotography is a small niche, and many of the vendors, organizers, etc. are friends. I invited the great Ken Crawford to speak at SWAP, and he took away some great ideas for AIC that we put into place at SWAP. He told me last year he'd be 'stealing' them! ;>) It's all good as it helps the hobby grow. I think you'll see a much expanded AIC because of Tucson. I don't want to hijack this ASAE/SWAP thread. I do hope that one way or the other a SW imaging conference can continue! I agree that there is a need. Thanks  

Edited by Warhen, 12 June 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

And besides, when Ken made the announcement in 2013 about the reason for the hiatus, he specified pretty clearly that one of the main reasons was so that the organizing committee could widen the breadth of imaging topics. I remember Ken speaking specifically of adding the kinds of things that have, in fact, been added. 

Alex

#8 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

Based on an email I received, as of today ASAE is still undecided.

This is disappointing.  I had hoped to attend ASAE last year, but had to go through a couple of major back surgeries instead. :p

I thought this was turning into a "NEAF West" (or SWAF), but I guess maybe not.

I WILL be in Arizona this fall. If there is a show, I'll attend. If not, I'll just go observing with my friends.

Cheers,

Ron

#9 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

I live in Tucson and have attended ASAE since its inception. I do my part by buying stuff from the vendors who attend the show. It's a great venue for evaluating and purchasing astro equipment. I certainly hope it will be held this year and beyond. It is just not practical for me to attend NEAF and so I look forward to this show every November in Tucson.

#10 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

I've been to the last two and enjoyed the conference.  I had a chance to get out to Sequaro Nat'l Park and catch some landscape and sunset images.  I was looking forward to going this year and get to the eastern side of the park.  I hope it happens!  Besides, I get to hang around with fellow CNers.

David

#11 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Fingers are crossed on my end too.

#12 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have been following this issue here and elsewhere, along with several emails to friends and vendors who are friends. Warren seems to be the provider of a clear message. He has committed to the AIC, and is not available for a "conference" this fall in Tucson. 

Ron, i understand the "crossed fingers"... but i have accepted what appears to be a "no show" situation.

I have registered for the AIC in October in San Jose. Looks to be a good show and conference.

And Warren will be hanging out there too.

Now, to be clear, and fair, if the trade show does materialize (but i don't expect it....), then being only 2 hours away, i would probably still attend that.

#13 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

Based upon the preceding posts, and based upon the fact that ASAE still hasn't posted dates for 2015, I conclude that the show is dead, at least for 2015.  If it were a "go," then they would have long ago submitted advertising to the magazines to appear in the October and/or November issues, and by now the date would be general knowledge, at least among the vendors.  I'm sorry to see ASAE die.  We've enjoyed the trip to Tucson and seeing old friends that we don't see at AIC..

#14 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:39 PM

Yes, it does appear that the ASAE and SWAP are a "no go" for 2015.

But there is good news, especially if, like you, you happen to live in California.

The good news is the 2015 Advanced Imaging Conference, in San Jose, set for Oct 16-18.

The have a fantastic web site working...   http://www.aicccd.com/AIC.html

The list of speakers, and schedule, are great! If you liked the SWAP (and i have been to both of them, and did), then you should love this one.  And the vendor list is looking good too!

I am registered, and good to go.  Check it out. Registration is open!

#15 hm insulators

hm insulators

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Darn, no ASAE?! :confused:  :confused:  I'd been to a couple of them and thought they blew the old Pacific Astronomy and Telescope Show in Pasadena out of the water! What's the story; there doesn't seem to be any clear explanation.

#16 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Anyone heard from Alan Traino directly?

-Rich

#17 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Howdy Rich...

Well, yes and no. I was emailing with Alan a month or so ago. I was prodding him to make an announcement. What i got back from him was a simple "Need a Sponsor".  

Best info i have from the convention center, and also the hotel, is that there are NO reservations for this event.

We, of course, are hearing from Warren. Both here on this forum, and i email back and forth with him from time to time.

He has announced, here in the open, that HE will not be hosting or doing the SWAP this year. Of course, who knows about Alan.  

As an aside, it is my understanding that Alan posted to FB that he rolled his SUV in early July. Reportedly, he is OK.

That is the best i know. If anyone else knows something different, i hope they post it here. 

#18 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi Dave,

They had a good list of sponsors last year.  If it turns out the show is cancelled for this year, I'll be disappointed.

and I'll have to change my signature line...

-Rich

#19 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hey Rich...

Not too bad. Pretty easy really.

Position cursor between the "E" and "!".

Three back space taps, and they they "IC"

Ed: Oops, only needed the "IC"... end ed:

Then press "Save" !!

It you have not checked it out, have a look. 

Hoping to see you there...

Edited by dmdouglass, 25 July 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#20 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Some of us are trying to organize a couple things (visit to the ICBM museum, supper) the first weekend of November. If any folks are interested (especially a supper - and we need a location! - Saturday night)  contact me here or on Facebook. At least we can get together to chew the fat!

• CraigRL likes this

#21 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

I would be interested Ron.

#22 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

Cool. When more details are available I'll start a separate thread.

• DreamWeaver likes this

#23 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Ron...

Are you privy to information not available generally ??  

To my knowledge, it is generally accepted that there will be NO SWAP in Tucson this year (see Warren's many posts here on the subject), and also no ASAE.  I have also discussed this issue with several of the major vendors, and they too are advising no knowledge of a scheduled event(s).

Now.... I could be wrong. And in many ways i hope i am. But i am not aware of any public information to the contrary.

I saw you post above, and sat straight up in my chair. Thought maybe i missed something somewhere.

Warren will be at the AIC in Oct. So will i (as an attendee).

Please advise if you have direct knowledge... or even a popular rumor.

#24 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

No, some of us are getting together anyway. Shows be danged. We had a good time that past two years hitting the Pima County Air Museum, getting together for supper and chewing the fat (and getting away from home). So most of us planned on coming back this year. When it came to past that the show was probably a non-event, we didn't want to cancel the trip.

So we're just gonna make our own action. :D Hope you and Rich, the NASA couple and others can join us!

Don't get me wrong; I'll miss the show. But this will be cheaper for me. sigh

#25 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

Robert Reeves who has worked with the show the last few years stated on Facebook last week that there is no ASAE this year. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics