•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatories and Ham Radio

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

Also a ham for over 50 years.

K8DO

• Mister T. likes this

#27 Timmie99

Timmie99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western New York, USA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

My call is N2RGT and have enjoyed Amateur Radio for over 20 years.  I got into Astrophotography last year and plan to build an Observatory next summer.  My problem is that I have a one-track-mind.  I don't know if I can handle operating both hobbies at the same time!  lol. 

• SeymoreStars and Chuck Conner like this

#28 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

A CN net would be great. I would think 80 meter would work well at night, or 160. I spend most of my time on 6 meters, but too hit and miss for a net. Daytime 10 would work.

KI4SDV

#29 Beat-tu

Beat-tu

Explorer 1

• Loc: Allen, Texas

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'm N0TOM.

#30 JimV

JimV

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:59 AM

I recently got my ticket.  Took all three tests in one sitting, and got perfect scores on all three.

Haven't transmitted a word yet.

TSP has a ham shack.

#31 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Aurora

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Ha!  Same here, all three tests with perfect scores, except spread out over a couple of months in spare time from my day job, and no equipment or on-air yet.  Got to get my 16'x18' ROR finished first and scope equipment moved in.  We're at the edge of town, so no real issues with having a tower, which will be to the northeast and not blocking sky views.

Mike 

KG5HCO  (easy to remember: Harvard College Observatory)

#32 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Administrators
  • Loc: Winder, Ga USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Ha!  Same here, all three tests with perfect scores, except spread out over a couple of months in spare time from my day job, and no equipment or on-air yet.  Got to get my 16'x18' ROR finished first and scope equipment moved in.  We're at the edge of town, so no real issues with having a tower, which will be to the northeast and not blocking sky views.

Mike 

KG5HCO  (easy to remember: Harvard College Observatory)

I called myself getting into HAM around 20-25 years ago......had a Drake R-4C Reciever, T-4XC Transmitter, L4-B 1kw Amp and a MN-2000 Ant Tuner. Did a LOT of listening while I studied Morse but I was one of those who had real trouble with it. As I understand it, it is no longer a requirement?  Next time you have occasion to speak with Dennis Sullivan you should ask him about his HAM gear.....He REALLY has a HAM shack and some fine gear though he doesn't use it anymore. SERIOUS Tower too.....

#33 Bob Swaney

Bob Swaney

Lift Off

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:39 AM

I had to think about it -- I've been a ham for 47 years. 

Bob/WS7N

• Mister T. likes this

#34 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

I got my novice in '64 then let it lapse for decades. When I went back in 2005 to get my General I found that I could skip the code test if I could show that I had passed it once. With some help from friends I found a 1965 call book that the VE accepted as sufficient evidence. Later I went ahead and got my Extra. As noted - there is no longer a code requirement.

WN8KVM -> KD8CGH

#35 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

I have had my license WD5IKX since the mid 70s and enjoy mobile and portable operations while at star parties.  While at Okie-Tex my buddy Bill N5NUK and I put up my portable vertical on the Tri State marker and operated from Colorado, Oklahoma, and New Mexico at the same time.  Looking forward to portable ops ant TSP, RMSS, Okie-Tex and ESP this year.

Three States at once 8^)

3 States WD5IKX pano-sm.jpg

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• Jim Davenport, woodscavenger and ThomasT like this

#36 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

While at Okie-Tex my buddy Bill N5NUK and I put up my portable vertical on the Tri State marker and operated from Colorado, Oklahoma, and New Mexico at the same time.

Three States at once 8^)

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Nice!

Very efficient for those on their WAS quest.

#37 RKK

RKK

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

I have had my license for 8-9 years and recently upgraded to General.  Only radio is in the Jeep a 2 meter FM.  Too many hobbies and too little time.  K0RKK

#38 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Working on my first test.  currently have two handheld so I just troll the airwaves.

#39 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

It would be pretty cool connecting with other imagers over say VHF (only saying VHF since I don't have my General License yet and erecting an HF antenna in my tiny backyard is not happening. )  Comparing weather conditions, seeing, and especially transient events etc between observatories.

Jim

If you have ICOM Dstar is a pretty cool setup. Just connect to a repeater and you can talk to anyone around the world. Not as cool as HF and doing it old school but does make it nice and a simple setup for conversing about astronomy without having to tweak the radio constantly if you are out under the stars. 

#40 Lobo59

Lobo59

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:19 AM

I'm going to look into ICOM Dstar. Rob, do you know if it's possible to have a round table of 10 or so Ham's at one time using Dstar?

That would work!

Larry

#41 mfulmer

mfulmer

Explorer 1

• Loc: 33.7763, -84.2675

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Astronomy got me into radio - new to it, but do like the low barrier to entry for Dstar. Feels the least daunting right now. HF is in the plans, but that is a ways off.

KM4CJX

#42 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

I have a a Yaesu radio and I believe the DSTAR is for LCOM radios.  (I suppose I could always buy an LCOM radio ).  To start, since there are many UHF repeaters maybe we can identify a UHF frequency, channel settings, a day of the week and several specific times when  astro imagers might  tune in.  I will have a look in the repeater directory and try to propose a straw man.

It would be pretty cool connecting with other imagers over say VHF (only saying VHF since I don't have my General License yet and erecting an HF antenna in my tiny backyard is not happening. )  Comparing weather conditions, seeing, and especially transient events etc between observatories.

Jim

If you have ICOM Dstar is a pretty cool setup. Just connect to a repeater and you can talk to anyone around the world. Not as cool as HF and doing it old school but does make it nice and a simple setup for conversing about astronomy without having to tweak the radio constantly if you are out under the stars. 

#43 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

I plan to be operating mobile and portable at TSP.  I like to go up to the mountain overlook at Davis Mountains SP.   It is like having a 5,000 foot tower. (^8

Any other amateurs going to TSP?   Drop by.....my truck is easy to find.

WD5IKX-mobile install-02.JPG

John  WD5IKX

CCD-Freak

Casita-Freak

#44 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Mobile from DMSP last year during TSP. (I sadly had to retire the Durango)

WD5IKX at DMSP high point 2.JPG

John  WD5IKX

CCD-Freak

Caita-Freak

Edited by CCD-Freak, 18 April 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#45 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:16 PM

I'm going to look into ICOM Dstar. Rob, do you know if it's possible to have a round table of 10 or so Ham's at one time using Dstar?

That would work!

Larry

I don't see why not. I listen to people talking. It is just courtesy to not break in. So if several are on you could have a round table going. 

#46 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

As I am a newbee with Ham radio I may be trash talking, but,  is it possible to specify a time and day of week when Astronomers/AstroImagers can listen and check in on "AstroNet".  I'd propose a UHF repeater on winsystem:  

447.640* (-) 100.0

Negative offset 
Tone - 100HZ

And say a time that is convenient to the entire US, say

7 pm PT or 10 pm ET etc.

Could this be doable?  Perhaps you experience hams could set me straight.

Jim

• JMKarian likes this

#47 Jim Davenport

Jim Davenport

Viking 1

• Loc: Seminole Fl

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

I would love to see a "Cloudy Nights" net. Maybe on 40, or 20 meters.

DE

Jim W4WDD

• Mike I. Jones and CCD-Freak like this

#48 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:16 AM

Long time ham here too, since mid 70's. Mostly as a Maritime Mobile.

The gear is all gone now, but the General license is still intact!

John

KA6UMT

#49 cometcatcher

cometcatcher

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mackay Australia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

Not active much these days but been a Ham for 36 years.

Kevin.

VK4BKP

#50 Beat-tu

Beat-tu

Explorer 1

• Loc: Allen, Texas

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

I'm a noobie in both backyard astronomy and ham radio.  I'm presently building a go-box to run winlink2000 (email) via VHF radio.  It will be powered by the same battery box that I built for my Celestron 6SE.  Clearly another way to spend money....

Tom

N0TOM

• CCD-Freak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics