•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatories and Ham Radio

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

Astronomy and Amateur Radio......Two very good ways to spend all your $$$$$

(^8 LOL

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• Jim Davenport, Mister T., Raginar and 3 others like this

#52 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

Just different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.

• Jim Davenport and CCD-Freak like this

#53 Lobo59

Lobo59

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:15 AM

Thought I'd resurrect this thread !

I bought a few weeks ago a Yaesu FT-991A. The reason I bring it up is along with band coverage from 160m through 440 mhz it also has C4FM which is Yaesu's digital mode. This allows access to Yaesu's Fusion system

which I've had the opportunity to play with and it looks like it might be a great way for Amateur Astronomers/Imagers to get together and talk about astronomy "stuff". If you can access a Fusion system repeater or node from your location you can then join a "room" where others can join in and discuss what ever. Ham's from around the world could join in, the only limitation being the timezone difference. I can see using this method for communicating in a couple of ways...

1. An "open mic" situation where Ham's could converse while imaging/observing, keep each other awake while keeping an eye on the equipment, complain about the weather etc.

2. A once a week (or any other timetable) net to discuss Observing/imaging, buy/sell equipment.

A person would need Yaesu equipment, although I'm so new to this mode that there may be other ways to get into the Fusion network that I don't know about yet. If anyone is interested, let me know, we could set up a test run to see how it works. Shoot me a PM, I'll be sure to let this list know how it goes.

73 and clear skies!

Larry W0SX

#54 kd4pbs

kd4pbs

Apollo

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Has anyone yet organized a phone net on HF for us amateur astronomers?  Or perhaps we pick a few frequencies on 80, 40, and 20 that we could monitor while we're fiddling?  It would certainly be rather enjoyable to have a ragchew net going on while the shutter clicks away and I'm keeping an eye on the PHD graph remotely.

#55 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

I bought a few weeks ago a Yaesu FT-991A. The reason I bring it up is along with band coverage from 160m through 440 mhz it also has C4FM which is Yaesu's digital mode. This allows access to Yaesu's Fusion system

which I've had the opportunity to play with and it looks like it might be a great way for Amateur Astronomers/Imagers to get together and talk about astronomy "stuff". If you can access a Fusion system repeater or node from your location you can then join a "room" where others can join in and discuss what ever. Ham's from around the world could join in, the only limitation being the timezone difference. I can see using this method for communicating in a couple of ways...

1. An "open mic" situation where Ham's could converse while imaging/observing, keep each other awake while keeping an eye on the equipment, complain about the weather etc.

2. A once a week (or any other timetable) net to discuss Observing/imaging, buy/sell equipment.

A person would need Yaesu equipment, although I'm so new to this mode that there may be other ways to get into the Fusion network that I don't know about yet. If anyone is interested, let me know, we could set up a test run to see how it works. Shoot me a PM, I'll be sure to let this list know how it goes.

73 and clear skies!

Larry W0SX

You really wanted the ICOM 7300. :grin:

#56 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

73 and clear skies!

Larry W0SX

Would it work with the Yaesu vxr7 HT?

#57 kd4pbs

kd4pbs

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

If you're using an amateur radio to access the internet, why not just use the internet directly?  Or a cell phone?  Seems that there'd be many more astronomers online than astronomers that have ham radios hooked to the internets online.

A friend of mine and I thought up a unique business idea.  Make a box with a mic and an internet connection.  Make a server with tens of thousands of "frequencies" that this box can connect to.  Require a "license" to use it.  Charge people for the license.  Charge people hundreds of dollars for the box. Call it "Ham Radio 2.0".  Make a fortune off of people that think it's really ham radio.

• pbunn and Pug like this

#58 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

A couple of comments:

Matt - yes, such a idea already exist for several years - it's called Hamsphere.  Not only is a subscription service required, you can 'buy' a virtual upgraded antenna for $100 to make you TX/RX better, and many other items.  It's all VOIP with software induced QRN, QSB, etc.  No license of any sort required, only $$.  And yes, it does seem to be thriving.  wink.gif

That said, how about a Radio Over IP net (ROIP)?  Things have changed over the past few years, and imo especially with Brandmeister-DMR and hotspots/DV dongles in just over the last year alone (with much greater flexibility for the user to link to where they want).  We can agree on a Talk Group and maybe meet up on there?  (eg, TG987  - the 900's seem to be where the SIGs are - eg, 955 WWYL, 907 JOTA, 950 RedditNet).  With a hotspot such as the OpenSpot, you can setup a mircro repeater node and link in as well (btw it will cross mode between Yaesu Fusion and DMR, DStar is out as it uses a slightly different codec).  iirc, there's a way to link in Dstar, EchoLink, IRLP, etc into a DMR TG as well through a reflector.

Why do it and not just use a VOIP like Skype?  It's very much along the same lines as why bother with astrophotography when Hubble and professional observatories are doing it?  (even better, you can d/l their raw data and process the images yourself) - because it can be done, and because of shared interest.  The combination of the 2 hobbies have much more in common imo; where we go to a dark sky site to escape LP, it's also usually a location that has very low QRN - I've had some of my best HF QRP contacts while operating portable from these locations!  Both hobbies have their share of tinkerers, and many like to explore  and incorporate new technologies available to the hobby - imo there's much we can chat about over a net.

As to what's currently available, I've heard that there is an astro-net on one of the North TX/ South OK repeaters, but that would be just local.

Edited by core, 18 April 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#59 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

73 and clear skies!

Larry W0SX

Would it work with the Yaesu vxr7 HT?

The VX-7R only works with Yaesu's Wire-II, which looks to be defunct and superseded by Wires-X (that the 991A has - congrats on the the new rig, Larry!) with their newer Fusion DV mode.

Larry, I don't have any Fusion repeaters near me, but I should be able to link up to a reflector via an OpenSpot - still looking into how to get into a specific room.

#60 pbunn

pbunn

Vanguard

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

"If you're using an amateur radio to access the internet, why not just use the internet directly?  Or a cell phone?  Seems that there'd be many more astronomers online than astronomers that have ham radios hooked to the internets online."

Exactly -  Ham Radio is a thing of the past. I got back into AP because of the challenges it offers.

The new comers are more interested in the color of their emergency preparedness jump suits.

N4LTA

#61 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

If you're using an amateur radio to access the internet, why not just use the internet directly?  Or a cell phone?  Seems that there'd be many more astronomers online than astronomers that have ham radios hooked to the internets online.

A friend of mine and I thought up a unique business idea.  Make a box with a mic and an internet connection.  Make a server with tens of thousands of "frequencies" that this box can connect to.  Require a "license" to use it.  Charge people for the license.  Charge people hundreds of dollars for the box. Call it "Ham Radio 2.0".  Make a fortune off of people that think it's really ham radio.

One of the points to Ham is being able to communicate when all of those other systems go down. Pretty amazing to think yo can communicate and even send info equivalent to a text over the radio waves. Sure we could just hop on the internet of bounce through a cell tower but to send and receive information from one antenna to another without any middle man is pretty cool. Plus if the power grid failed how could you communicate with someone about how awesome the night sky looks. grin.gif

#62 pbunn

pbunn

Vanguard

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

Ham radio will never be a primary communication means in an emergency. Those days are long gone. Any Chinese appliance that a ham can buy can certainly be obtained and greatly improved upon by the military and the government.

I wrote technical articles in QST and several other Ham magazines in the 80s and 90's but amateur radio has pretty much died. Kids could care less about it and rightly so. The "Nerds" have gone way past amateur technology long ago. I have a good college friend who is a very well known network technology designer. He has many patents and innovative designs in network software. He visited  few months ago and  said the "Nerds" have really taken control of the world and said the next few years will be scary as technology advances.

Nothing really caused Ham Radio  to die - it was just the times changed - technology passed it by just like photographic film died.

The last real fun I had with RF technology was several years ago with an experimental license on  MF,LF and VLF. Had a 85 mile reception report on 63 KHz and European reports on 479 KHz. Built all the

transmitting equipment with Class D transmitter using power FETs- all of it at KW levels. That has now passed.

I cut down my high 80 Meter dipole at 90 feet to clear room for my observatory view. I'll keep my K3 and a couple of receivers and some HP boat anchor test equipment - but the Chinese digital scope and spectrum analyzer has taken front seat.

BTW Rob - You and I must have the same taste in AP equipment!

Edited by pbunn, 18 April 2017 - 07:19 PM.

• snommisbor likes this

#63 CraigRL

CraigRL

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

Too funny. I know a lot of astronomers that are hams too. Quite interesting. I spend more time doing astronomy now than ham radio. I was quite active in the 70s and 80s. 

#64 Mister T.

Mister T.

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

Here's one more...   W9LBB...   ex k9TA, ex WA9QMB, ex WN9LGD.

My novice license came in the mail on Wednesday...  and on Friday,

JFK was assassinated.

Got my Extra class in 1966, and been continuously licensed ever since.

When I get on these days, it's 160 meter AM or CW.

Amateur radio and astronomy are both mentally intense activities; TOO

intense to be practiced simultaneously. When I'm out observing tho, my

companion is an old Zenith Trans Oceanic, one of the last versions that

has a BFO so it can copy SSB on HF, tune the local 2 meter activity, or

should it be prudent, tune in the National Weather Service radio.

Most times it's just tuned to the international short wave bands as I observe,

or more likely tuned to either WSM in Nashville (I was raised on the Grand

Old Opry), or "Zoomer Radio" out of Toronto for some decent music (Zoomer

pretty much OWNS 740 KHz at night around here).

73's,

Mr. T.

Edited by Mister T., 25 June 2017 - 12:10 AM.

#65 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Since I first posted this message, we moved.  I had to demolish my observatory as the real estate agent was appalled at "that shack in your backyard" - your house will never sell with ... that!.

Now a year later I am rebuilding  -- Observatory 2.0.  It is an octagonal observatory with the same 10' dome.  However this one will be much more substantial as we get 60+ mph winds during the Santa Annas.

I have my UHF and VHF up and running usiing my Yaesu 991 but haven't gotten my HF antenna assembled yet.  I must make this a priority now.  I am thinking that most people have VHF capability.  So I want to review the repeater directory and suggest one or more channels to monitor.  But then, of course, HF is really the best.  

Let's specify/agree on a time band that starts at sunset on east coast and goes to say midnight west coast.  (Yes I am considering the US to start, because my German and Italian is really bad.)  Let's aim for Saturdays to start.  Then pick a first saturday near the new moon for the first ham astronomer net.  But please suggest something better if you can.

#66 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I am able to work the W6VAH net on 20 meters (14.255) from my mobile on a very regular basis even at this point in the solar cycle.  Saturdays are busy for most people what time of day are you thinking? 

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Antenna rainbow.JPG

• mark77 likes this

#67 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:48 PM

Ham since 1887 (KE0MF), started as an Advanced class and upgraded to Extra. Would be interested in an HF based CN net if one got proposed. 3 hobbies are ham radio, scenic photography, and astrophotography. All very fun in their own right. 

ML

#68 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

When I get my observatory finished, I am going to install a Rohn 25 tower out back. I will have a radio in my observatory.  I plan on 2m and hopefully HF.  I also would be interested in an astronomy net.  I already have the tower.

#69 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

cool

73 from new zealand 

de ZL4PLM

mostly EME, Meteor scatter vhf thru shf :)

Edited by ZL4PLM, 08 September 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#70 Lobo59

Lobo59

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

It's been a while since I checked this thread and I've missed a bit!

I think we should be able to get something going. I'm going to start with suggesting that a few of us try to meet one

way or another. Once we get a few of us making consistant QSO's we can let everyone here know what we're doing,

what's working etc.

I'm going to PM TeslaTrek and Core and see if we can't link up via VHF/UHF using Fusion or DMR. I can do both, I also

have an Openspot. The Openspot is one slick piece of gear.

CCD-Freak, I'll see you at Okie-Tex and we'll figure something out there, most likely on HF.

Ham Radio isn't dead, since I've gotten back into VHF/UHF I was amazed and glad to see there are plenty of new people getting

their license. Ham's are still experimenting, utilizing Arduino and Raspberry Pi in radio projects etc. I also just started playing

with the Amateur Satellites, it's kinda cool to digipeat APRS thru the ISS. Today I had a nice QSO thru AO-85, a FM satellite using

a Kenwood HT and a hand held Arrow antenna.

Lets see if we can get something going here!

73 Larry W0SX

#71 Mister T.

Mister T.

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

Something NEW has entered the scene for me. Would you believe I've bought a BUS???

A 2013 Eldorado / Ford airport shuttle that is being converted into an RV to serve as a mobile

home on Dark Sky expeditions, and to Star Parties.

A few months before this, I was at an estate auction, and came into a Collins KWM-2. It's

going into the bus.

In the meantime...  picked up a PM-2 mobile supply (which will be run off of solar charged

batteries), a 312B-5 external VFO / station console, and the sorta scarce 180S-1 antenna

tuner.

For the antenna, some options...

If I'll be there a while, a random end fed wire slung between two  trees.

For less long term situations, 18 or 20  foot unloaded vertical made of 3 foot sections of

WW2 "Tank Whip".

Hopefully, this 25 foot long monster will take to the road this summer.

Mr. T., W9LBB

• CCD-Freak likes this

#72 scubabri

scubabri

Mariner 2

• Loc: Alpine, Utah

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

de KA7KDX 

#73 Wire

Wire

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Most of us ham operators are amateur astronomers as well.  - W3IRE

Edited by Wire, 05 March 2018 - 05:38 AM.

#74 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

I spend most of my ham time on 6 meters, less nonsense on it than other bands. Have a room full of equipment, most of which I seldom use. I do enjoy playing with my old tube radios though. 

#75 flormat

flormat

Lift Off

• Loc: florida

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

There should be a cloudynights hams forum, lol.

btw there’s plenty of challenge still in radio, go high or go low! eme, vhf+ dx, and satellites are what I’ve found myself migrating towards over the fast few years. Lots of similarities between astronomy and amateur radio...both can be challenging and very expensive laugh.gif

de nj4y

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics