•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who manufactured my Tasco microscope?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: 7,257', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

In the 60s I had a Tasco #908 microscope.  It appeared to be of a much higher quality that the department store and zoom microscopes of the time.  It was heavy, green, and came with coarse and micro focusing.  

I have searched around for a number of years to find another.  I am thinking they are relatively rare as I had never seen another until recently, which I bought.  It is in great shape for its age, glass is dirty, but only cost me $25.

My interest in vintage telescopes had me looking all over the #908 for manufacturer's stamps, to no avail.

So.  Who made this microscope, and is it better quality than other Tasco microscopes of the era?

IMG_6310.JPG

Edited by hottr6, 04 July 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#2 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

Is it better quality than other Tasco microscopes of the era? Sure looks like it to me, here's the green Tasco from my childhood for comparison:

TascoScope_zpsbc1a8c11.jpg

I'd say you had a much more wholesome childhood than I did.  :lol:

Oh yeah, I'd say I was using this one roughly 1969-1973 or thereabouts. Sorry, no idea who might've made your scope, but it looks very nice actually, what might legitimately be called a 'student microscope'. Mine is pretty much a toy, although I was able to get some use out of it at its lowest power setting. Sadly, there are worse ones yet, beats me why anyone would give a useless microscope to anyone for any reason, or why any manufacturer would put forth such inevitable disappointment to begin with. Toy microscopes are every bit as dismal as toy telescopes. I need a drink. But whatever, you seem to have neatly escaped the worst of it by a goodly margin.

#3 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

My microscope is engraved "Student", and there were other models in the line that look similar, #906, #921, but differ with respect to accessories that came with it.

I can find vintage catalogs of Tasco telescopes online, but I've yet to find a vintage Tasco microscope catalog.   :(

#4 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

I'm not remotely any kind of expert, but that Tasco bears resemblance to a "Lumiscope" that I once owned. It was black, but its features and front engraving were similar. I believe those were sold under the brand name "Kyowa." I have no idea whether that was the actual maker, but there do seem to be quite a bunch of listings for microscopes and parts bearing that name on ebay. You've only shown us yours from one angle, but you might want to search there and compare yours to some of those listing images.  Here is also a link to one a lot like I had (except for the eyepiece adapter?), on the Goodwill auction site.

#5 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

I'm not remotely any kind of expert, but that Tasco bears resemblance to a "Lumiscope" that I once owned. It was black, but its features and front engraving were similar. I believe those were sold under the brand name "Kyowa." I have no idea whether that was the actual maker, but there do seem to be quite a bunch of listings for microscopes and parts bearing that name on ebay. You've only shown us yours from one angle, but you might want to search there and compare yours to some of those listing images.  Here is also a link to one a lot like I had (except for the eyepiece adapter?), on the Goodwill auction site.

I searched around and found images of "college" Kyowa monocular microscopes, and they look very similar to my microscope, albeit in black.  More searches found statements that Kyowa rebranded their microscopes for other distributors, like "Tasco and Swift".

There appear to be several models of my green "Student" Tasco, numbered #906, #920, apparently differing in the accessories that are supplied.  Still looking for a period catalog.

Might be a reasonable quality 'scope.  :)

#6 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:35 AM

Sory for reviving such an old tread...

It's sometimes very, very difficult to find out who made a microscope, sold under this or that (reseller's) brand name...

Sometimes it's obvious, when resellers kept (keep) the model name, known to have a good reputation, as a selling argument: Lomo-Biolam microscopes were sold in Europe as "Lomo-Biolam", "Zenit-Biolam", 'Bresser-Biolam", "Nekkerman-Biolam". In Belgium as "Viking-Biolam" and so on.

Some microscopes from the Germand brand Hertell & Reuss were marketed in Germany as "Kosmos" and in the US as "Hacker".

Japanese Yashima and Tioda-microscopes were marketed in The Netherlands as "Erma-Breukhoven".

Tsjechian Meopta- and Japanese Kyowa-microscopes were sold in Belgium as "Viking", the Chinese Yazumi XSZ-107 probably has more brand names than there are microscopes sold...

And so on, and so on.

And that's only the easy part... Let's not go into detail on the companies "x" who made those optical parts engraved "y" ;-).

#7 desertstar

desertstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So. CA. Desert

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

Here is a wikipedia entry on TASCO that might give some insight.

Jim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasco

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics