•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bluetooth CGEM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ccrunner84

ccrunner84

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

Just got this working, thought it came out nice having everything inside the hand control.  The normal RS232 port may however be disabled, it took some tinkering to get this going.

BT Device: https://www.sparkfun.../products/12576

Video: https://www.youtube....h?v=SLAf7Mk7muE

Edited by ccrunner84, 07 July 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• Tekkie likes this

#2 edgarman

edgarman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cali, Colombia

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:04 AM

Hello, thanks for your post, I am very interested on knowing how this mod was done, it looks fantastic!

#3 ccrunner84

ccrunner84

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Here's all there is to it, unfortunately the solder pads on this board come off ridiculously easy so the MAX232 removal wasn't easy.  Be advised that this disables the serial port at the bottom of the remote.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0546.jpg

Edited by ccrunner84, 08 July 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#4 nafran

nafran

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hey ccrunner, this looks very much like something I've been trying to work on. I just got a new Evolution and have been less than impressed with the range of the internal wifi and wanted to add bluetooth as well. Rather than the Silver version of the board you bought, I went with the Gold to get that range boost.

My initial plan was to wire directly into an AUX port in order to draw power for the BT module using the available +12 and a +5 regulator, negating the need for batteries or external power hookups required with the usual bluetooth options. With everything wired up and powered, I've had no luck communicating with the scope but I can see the port and watch data come across the link when slewing manually with the HC. I've only just started playing with this scope and am still learning quite a bit about interfacing, so I could very well be missing something with my plan.

Looking over the datasheet for the MAX232, I know where I need to route the wires to match your setup but I'm wondering if you've tried updating the firmware on the HC or MC over BT since this mod.

#5 ccrunner84

ccrunner84

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

I never had any luck with the AUX port, I tried that first but ended up bailing.  The remote method I didn't need anything else other than removing the MAX232 for the PC RS232.

Couldn't get it to update the firmware via BT, I just updated to the latest and greatest and it worked well so didn't see the need.  You will need to use the latest version of ASCOM to see the serial port using the Celestron driver, I believe there is a checkbox to show more ports than what it normally does.

Good luck with the mod!

#6 SilentLight

SilentLight

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

I like to do something like this, but with RS-232 wire coming out and looping back into the jack on the hand controller so I can still update the firmware. What is the hand controller's voltage? The description of the Bluetooth card says 6V max.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

The voltage source pin on the hand controller connector is tied to the power connection on the mount so it will be whatever your power supply is providing (11-14v). There is also a +5v regulator in the hand controller so you could find a 5v connection point on the board but you'd have to be really careful not to draw too much current and overheat the regulator (it doesn't have a heat sink on it).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics