•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Newbie's Early Observation Log - Join me!

• Please log in to reply
7713 replies to this topic

#7701 Araguaia

Araguaia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cantão, Brazil

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 AM

There is a ray which cross N-S nearly the entire visible face of the Moon.

Do you see it ?

I have seen this ray many times.  But there are a lot of small ray craters on the Moon... some of which you only really notice at high power.  With good seeing you could probably find a myriad small ones.

• bumm, aeajr, jklein and 1 other like this

#7702 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

6:16am clear pre dawn clear skies with cloud rolling in from the west. 

10x50s on tripod 

Venus still very bright through the trees. I cast a gaze about for Jupiter and looked farther S to find it still bright. To the lower left was a light "bulge" and farther out a moon via averted vision.

SkySafari tells me Ganymede and Callisto are tightly grouped SE as well as Europa and Io grouped closer in. I have not seen any of these moons for some time so glad to see them still hanging about. Then I noticed Saturn reported to be very close to Venus's SE but the sky was much to bright to se it. 

Add:  one star only showing high to SW - Arcturus. 

Edited by B l a k S t a r, Yesterday, 09:31 AM.

• BFaucett, SeaBee1, aeajr and 2 others like this

#7703 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Everybody is doing as it likes but I take all those stories about what happened in the first three seconds of the Univers as something as real as the script of ''Predator''.

Yep ... could be ,another story,nice story !

Ziridava

Not sure I would go so far as place conjecture in the same category as imaginative fiction.   jd

• SeaBee1 and aeajr like this

#7704 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Hello 

I'm proposing a challenge , an observational project : how many craters with ''rays'' do you see on the Full Moon ?

(A small warning : it is not that easy as it sound because there are many).

I learned about such observations from Thomas Jensen on ''60mmtelescopeclub'' but the 200mm reflector isn't too big.

Do you see it ?

I have read about this ray in ''Pleasures of the Telescope'' by Serviss and I can tell , he is right ...the ray is there ,bright and doing well.

Ziridava

Ziridava, I like the idea of this challenge... but my real challenge lately has been to have ANY observing time. I will try to keep this challenge in mind, once the skies here clear... which is beginning to look like maybe Spring... and LATE Spring at that... geez...

Good hunting!

CB

• sickfish, bumm, aeajr and 1 other like this

#7705 Tyson M

Tyson M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Hello 

I'm proposing a challenge , an observational project : how many craters with ''rays'' do you see on the Full Moon ?

(A small warning : it is not that easy as it sound because there are many).

I learned about such observations from Thomas Jensen on ''60mmtelescopeclub'' but the 200mm reflector isn't too big.

Do you see it ?

I have read about this ray in ''Pleasures of the Telescope'' by Serviss and I can tell , he is right ...the ray is there ,bright and doing well.

Ziridava

I would assume those rays belong to Tyco?   

The big three are Tyco, Copernicus and Keplar, in order from decreasing ray structure size. 

• aeajr and Migwan like this

#7706 BFaucett

BFaucett

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas approx 29.8, -95.6

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Ziridava, I like the idea of this challenge... but my real challenge lately has been to have ANY observing time. I will try to keep this challenge in mind, once the skies here clear... which is beginning to look like maybe Spring... and LATE Spring at that... geez...

Good hunting!

CB

I know the feeling!   fingertap.gif

Signed,

Miserable in Texas  grin.gif

2ttjp0.jpg

• SeaBee1 and aeajr like this

#7707 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Gemini

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Bob, I wonder if the astronomy gods would accept a willing virgin thrown into an active volcano as appeasement?

Wait... does Texas have any active volcanoes?... Yeah, never mind...

Clouds it is...

• ziridava, BFaucett and aeajr like this

#7708 Araguaia

Araguaia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cantão, Brazil

Posted Today, 05:45 AM

Rain!  Lots of it, all night!  The river is rising, and I am happy.  The stars can wait.

• JHollJr, aeajr and jklein like this

#7709 chrysalis

chrysalis

Gemini

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted Today, 06:45 AM

Rain!  Lots of it, all night!  The river is rising, and I am happy.  The stars can wait.

Very poetic and poignant bow.gif !

• JHollJr, aeajr and Araguaia like this

#7710 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted Today, 07:45 AM

Antares, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn from 13k ft with fire red morning band. 

Heading south, first time with scope - I hope it enjoys a smooth ride as checked luggage!

turn devices off, de-icing time…

Edited by B l a k S t a r, Today, 07:46 AM.

• aeajr, jklein and HeathM98 like this

#7711 sickfish

sickfish

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted Today, 08:34 AM

Clear last night, just naked eye.

Moon is very bright.

Don't know if anyone else saw it but I there was a decent satellite going through Orion. 7:00-8:00 maybe 

It was not the ISS. But still a good one. Mag. was around the same as Polaris. This puppy was high and stayed in the sky across zenith and faded as it went to the north west.

Edited by sickfish, Today, 10:02 AM.

• aeajr and jklein like this

#7712 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted Today, 11:27 AM

Have not been out at all this week.   Mostly cloudy unless you count an EAA demonstration at Wednesday's club meeting.  It was outside and the weather was cold and very windy.  We had a pile of people trying to crowd around a laptop screen.   Really needed to be up on a monitor.  

Last night was clear but the Wife and I were out car shopping all day, then out for dinner.  When we got home we were tired so, did not make it outside.

I wanted to see the Mars/Uranus conjunction this week but a combination of clouds, opportunity and motivation nixed that.  May still catch it as they are still not that far apart.  

Orion SkyScanner 100.  I have long been interested in these little tabletop dobs.  Finally broke down and ordered this one.   Should have it in a few days.

https://www.telescop...=Skyscanner 100

https://www.youtube....BEzRibaMds&t=7s

Sorry John! I know that means more clouds, but these things are just so darn cute.  And I have long wondered if a tabletop is really a viable solution.  At $109 I am hopeful I will be able to confirm that it really is a viable starter scope for someone on a rock bottom budget.   I can compare it to my 80 mm refractors to see if it is a practical alternative. 

Of course, you have to have a table.  However, this one can come off the tabletop mount and go on a photo tripod too. And since it uses some kind of dovetail it might be able to go on my GSkyer mount. 

Combined with my camera tripod, it might make a nice little travel scope.  

Anyone else have one of these?

#7713 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted Today, 02:16 PM

Got up at 5:00 A.M. this morning to view Jupiter with my GoTo Mak rig: Meade Alt-Az mounted 90 Mak, with prism diagonal and brand-less Expanse oculars--along with the BST 5, Burgess 10 and shorty Barlow.

Though cloudless, transparency was not all that good along with unkind atmospheric conditions.  Even at 54X with the 23mm, Jupiter just did not "pop".  I was not able to see any of IOs transit shadow at around 5:30 A.M. PST.

Also observed Venus' roughly 50% phase, but Saturn was still out-of-line-of-site...

Any ocular time is better than none at all.

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, Today, 03:38 PM.

• jklein likes this

#7714 ziridava

ziridava

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Today, 04:55 PM

My best count for Moon craters with ''rays'' is stuck at  15 since 2011.

Last night here it was  some sort of clear sky but the haze illuminated by the Moon  was very bright.

Bright double stars are good targets for such nights but...I had not high expectations , actually I had not any expectation at all.

The reason was that two nights ago - Friday night , the turbulence was so miserable I was not able to use higher magnification than 66x on a 3'' reflector.

Last night I started observations with the 200mm Dob and to my  surprize ,I was able to split 52 Ori with a nice wide ''black'' space ...actually more of  the gray shiny kind.

I used 205x/Celestron Plossl 6mm and 308x/Kasai 4mm Ortho.

The same it happened with 32 Ori , nice split ,so nice like never  this Winter.

7 Tauri ,a subarc double star, was too low on the sky.

I searched Omega Leonis , a double star with a separation of 0.831'' and again ,resolved  very nice at 205x and clearly split at 308x.

I had not atlas ,memory not very good , I was searching and trying the stars ...here and there.

Searching for Omega Leo I tripped over two unexpected bonus.

A star  close to Omega Leo is 6 Leonis with a separation of 36'',very easy,unequal,nice. 

Another bonus was a wilde red star , probably a carbon star.

I have difficulties to identify this star.

Stellarium is sending me to a ''custom object'' it call IRC +10216 , which seem to be a dying star.

Or to R Leonis which is a variable star.

Looking to the Color Index I see R Leo have a CI = 1.52 which mean an orange star not the fierry red I saw.

So ,I'm baffled !

(This should be a lesson to me , to behave , sit inside ,do nothing ,watch TV (it is the same ) so avoid to be baffled ... joking !!! banjodance.gif )

Best thing is to go out , search and look again ,doesn't matter is very cold.

I finished with a last beautiful split of Propus.

Who know how long will take to have such a low turbulance which allow to see such. beautiful double stars.

Now ,at the very end I intended to be polite with the Moon ,like with an old lady , just to greet.

But this led me in even bigger trouble.

Along the Lunar terminator I saw incredibly nice ,minute details.

I felt my jaws dropping , I saw more rille in the folowing hour than those seen in the last twenty years of stargazing.

It had a price, I made closer acquaintance with cold.

Ziridava

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics