•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier Marathon: Finder Charts and Log Sheets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:51 PM

Mod. note: We'll keep this post sticky until after the marathon. Thanks Stephen, edz

Messier Marathon Season is only a few weeks away and now is the time to get some practice on those early evening objects before they get too low in the twilight.

I have produced sets of finder charts (telescopic and binocular). These are available for download from:
http://astunit.com/t...r/messchart.htm

I have also produced sets of marathon Log Sheets in a proposed order of attempting the objects. This is available in several formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, Lotus123, CSV , and may be downloaded from:
http://astunit.com/t...ier/messlog.htm

These have been useful in previous years and I hope they will continue to be so. If anyone wants the flavour of what it is like to complete the marathon, my experiences of the successful 1998 attempt are at:
http://astunit.com/t...er-marathon.htm

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

Stephen,

How thoroughly enjoyable it was to read your account of that "magical" night in Portugal 6 years ago.

I urge other members to share the experience.

Regards -- Kenny.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for posting this Stephen! I agree that your report was quite fun to read. Although I won't be attempting a marathon this year I will be practicing. Hopefully next year I'll be familiar enough to try my own. I printed out a few copies of your log sheets, hopefully I'll be able to use them tonight.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Wonderful story Stephen and thanks for the links. I would greatly enjoy embarking on a Messier marathon. This inspires me to start soon....whenever I can finally have some clear skies over Boston!

#5 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:20 AM

Thanks -- I intend to try doing it with binoculars some time (not from here -- I am too far north).

#6 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

Stephen ,

Thanks for shareing the links, looks like you put some serious work into those logsheets :)

#7 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

Glad you appreciate them. As for the log sheets, I must acknowledge Paul Money, on whose sheets the ideas behind mine are based, and Adam Stachan-Stephens, who checked mine after I had created them (it's easy to make typos in such a venture!).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics