•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexImage Burst deep sky!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the Celestron NexImage Burst video cam for planetary imaging.  But as I was experimenting with the camera, I realized that it was very sensitive.  So, last night just for fun, I  tried to see if it can see any deep sky object with some integration.  This camera amazed me! for a usb powered video cam.  It has lots of potential for both planetary and deep sky imaging.  even though it is not a cooled sensor just subtracting dark frames will make a huge difference.  Attached is an image of M13 The great Hercules globular cluster. The telescope is a 6 inch Schmidt Cassegrain at f4, Exposure was only 8.5 seconds, gain at max, gamma at 200! no processing was done to this image, it is as it appeared on my laptop screen live!

Clear skies,

Navid

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hi Navid:  that is an encouraging result.  I would recommend lowering gain to reduce the noise and drop gamma for a darker sky.  Can the software subtract darks automatically?  If so, continue with the settings you have used.  To not overdo the core can you lower contrast and compensate by raising brightness?  Again, a fine result and welcome to the forum.  

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

Just found "Celestron NexImage Burst" color is a new model

using Aptina AR0132AT (cousin of AR0130) image sensor.

A bit strange Celestron spec sheet saying max expo time is 1 second???

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hi Navid:  that is an encouraging result.  I would recommend lowering gain to reduce the noise and drop gamma for a darker sky.  Can the software subtract darks automatically?  If so, continue with the settings you have used.  To not overdo the core can you lower contrast and compensate by raising brightness?  Again, a fine result and welcome to the forum.  

Thanks Dwight, this was my first try at using this video camera.  yes next time I will lower the gain and contrast and drop the gamma.  the software that came with the NexImage  Burst does not have auto dark frame subtraction, though I wish it did, but has full manual controls for camera settings.

Navid

#5 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Just found "Celestron NexImage Burst" color is a new model

using Aptina AR0132AT (cousin of AR0130) image sensor.

A bit strange Celestron spec sheet saying max expo time is 1 second???

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Hi ccs_hello,

The iCap software that came with the camera has exposures up to 30 seconds long, even though.Celestron states 1 second! 

Navid

#6 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:04 AM

You could look at "Astrotoaster" which is freeware developed by a forum member.  It does live stacking on the fly and it may also do dark subtraction although I am not 100 percent sure.  I know that DeepSkyStacker Live does do that and Astrotoaster is based on that.  Worth a look.  Live stacking can really reduce noise, improve signal to noise ratio and gives a smoother looking result even after stacking just two.  I believe it average stacks so the resultant image is not a sum of the exposure time.  Thirty second exposure time can really open up electronic observing for you.  Good find on the camera.

#7 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

I wonder if that built-in IR filter has its cut-off point where we most need it.

And I also wonder if it's easily removed.

#8 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

You could look at "Astrotoaster" which is freeware developed by a forum member.  It does live stacking on the fly and it may also do dark subtraction although I am not 100 percent sure.  I know that DeepSkyStacker Live does do that and Astrotoaster is based on that.  Worth a look.  Live stacking can really reduce noise, improve signal to noise ratio and gives a smoother looking result even after stacking just two.  I believe it average stacks so the resultant image is not a sum of the exposure time.  Thirty second exposure time can really open up electronic observing for you.  Good find on the camera.

Ok thank you Dwight I will check it out.  thanks for the advice :)

#9 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

I wonder if that built-in IR filter has its cut-off point where we most need it.

Hi Ken, I am not sure if it can be removed.  But overall this video cam has great potential from what I saw.  I am waiting for the weather to clear up so I can do more testing.

#10 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi Ken, I am not sure if it can be removed.  But overall this video cam has great potential from what I saw.  I am waiting for the weather to clear up so I can do more testing.

Good to see you back in here Navid. Been a while   :waytogo:

#11 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

Good to see you back in here Navid. Been a while   :waytogo:

Hey thanks so much Ken I appreciate it :)  :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics