•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ethos?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#76 John Anthony

John Anthony

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

Some final thoughts on my new 4.7mm Ethos now that I've had a few nights to use it and compare it to my 4.5mm Delos, 5mm TMB Mono, and 5mm Pentax XO in my TMB 92SS on the moon and some Globular clusters in the south. I did notice when switching back and forth between the Delos and Ethos that the Delos seemed to snap to focus ever so slightly easier than the Ethos, I had to adjust a tiny bit more to get that perfect focus point with the Ethos, and although I never thought I could see any detail with the Delos that I couldn't with the Ethos I preferred the Delos.

I like the adjustable eye guard and the 20mm eye relief on the Delos and I felt 72 degree AFOV is more than enough when compared to the Ethos.

The main advantage of the Ethos when compared to the Delos was not having to adjust my mount as often as the Delos and looking at Globular clusters at higher magnifications with such a large AFOV was really nice, I'm not sure it's worth double the price of the Delos for what seemed to be to me very little gain in differences between the two.

The Delos gives me a true field of .64 and the Ethos 1.0 degree, I like the extra the Ethos delivers but I really don't seem to utilize it visually past the AFOV of what the Delos gives, it's a nice big AFOV but the Delos seems to be just right for what I can actually take in.

Compared to the Mono and XO the Ethos holds its own, detail was slightly consistently sharper in the two smaller eyepieces as expected but you never realize how much of a pain moving the mount is all the time until you use the Ethos for a while and then put something like a Mono in the focuser.

I can see why some like the Ethos, that's a lot of sky packed into that eyepiece but *for me* I prefer the Delos not only visually but price wise too. I'm happy I have one in my stable and it will get used a lot but I don't see myself buying more.

#77 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

I noticed that the 5.5mm Meade UWA snaps to focus a little easier than the 6mm Ethos. 

Dave

#78 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thats very interesting feedback on the Ethos 4.7mm. I've been considering one for quite a while now, to add to the Ethos 21, 13, 8, and 6 that I already have. My hestitation is mainly that I also have the Pentax XW 5mm which is such a good eyepiece that I've been doubting that the E4.7 would do as well, despite it's mammoth FoV.

Edited by John Huntley, 22 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#79 2244champ

2244champ

Vostok 1

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

John Anthony, thanks for your additional thoughts on your new ocular. I have a set of XW's & like them for the same reasons that you like your Delos. Although I'm happy with my Pentax, I too, have considered one or two Ethos. After reading this thread, I think my $$$ would be better spent on different astro gear. Thanks again, Doug

#80 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

4.7 Ethos or 5mm XW???   I'll let you know before I die.......unless it's unexpected....

#81 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

This was excellent read, nice and simple, it would be very useful for many people who would have similar dilemma.

#82 John Anthony

John Anthony

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

John Anthony, thanks for your additional thoughts on your new ocular. I have a set of XW's & like them for the same reasons that you like your Delos. Although I'm happy with my Pentax, I too, have considered one or two Ethos. After reading this thread, I think my $$$ would be better spent on different astro gear. Thanks again, Doug

I owned all the Pentax XL's except for the 40mm just short of ten years before needing a change and purchasing the entire Delos line. IMHO I believe the Pentax XL/XW and Delos eyepieces to be the best do it all eyepieces on the market today, they really don't compromise in any area of performance and excell in all.

You're not giving up much owning Pentax XW's and not owning Ethos so try before you buy, I'm happy with this one purchase but that's it for me.

#83 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

"but that's it for me."

I'll take famous phrases for $500.... :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics