•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Methylene Blue microscopy stain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 proud uncle

proud uncle

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

Is Methylene Blue packaged for use in fish aquariums the same stuff as that packaged for use as a microscope stain?  In other words, can I use MB for fish aquariums as a MB microscopy stain?

Thanks,

Kenneth

#2 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

yes (except maybe the concentration required)

#3 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

On this topic of Methylene Blue, I have a laboratory grade flask (small) of the dry powder.  For microscopy purposes, should I mix this power with alcohol or with distilled water?  At what concentrations/parts per substance, should they be mixed?

Thank you.

Otto

#4 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

All the years of sharing comments with you in the astronomy forums, EJN, only to happily discover you are here as well!

The distilled water, ethanol, and methylene blue; what those are and the proportions to mix I can handle.  But what are and where does one find potassium hydroxide (?KOH) or sodium hydroxide (NaOH)?

The formula you found for me may explain why all these years my methyl blue stains have been good, but nothing fantastic.

Otto

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

NaOH is lye, sold as a drain cleaner in hardware and grocery stores.  Be careful with it.

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

By the way, quite a few dyes, inks, etc., can be used as microscopy stains if you don't need complete equivalence to traditional stains.  Gentian violet and tincture of iodine (from the drugstore) are useful (diluted).

#7 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

I appreciate your help.

In Loeffler's mixture/formula which EJN provided us, the statement is made "1 mL dilute (1%) KOH or NaOH".  How would/what would be the parts used in making this "(1%)".  Would it be 1 gram of NaOH to 100 grams of distilled water?  And if that is correct, is a milliliter of water equivalent to a milligram of water?

Thank you.

Otto

#8 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

thank you EJN.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics