•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for FREE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

If yawl never watched this it is entertaining at least:  http://www.bing.com/...C3AD3513DBB696E

#27 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

Ah, free softwares, surely there isn't a catch, is there? Windows 10, pure spyware...http://www.zerohedge...ging-everything

#28 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yes indeed, I'm sure that the NSA is tracing every single image I sent out to astrometry.net and reading all the email I send to the Bisque brothers (suspicious foreign last names). For the record, I have two computers converted now loaded with astro software, used one for imaging last Saturday night and can report no particular problems associated with Win10. I even used the browser for a while but I couldn't work out how to kill those nasty flash videos as I can with Chrome so I've reverted.

There is a catch, of course. By controlling the desktop - the razor - you can sell tons of other software - the razor blades. That's what this is about - get everyone on the same platform and then you make all the money in the world providing other software, making tablets, providing support to big users, etc. It's a superior economic model. At this point, after the Win8 debacle, no one would pay MS $100 for an upgraded operating system. Frankly, other than perhaps the security model, there's really not been any significant improvement in the MS OS's over the past 7 years. People would still be using XP if it was supported. Assertions of evil intent are just that assertions and frankly laughable.

Rgrds-Ross

Edited by rgsalinger, 03 August 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#29 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

Yes indeed, I'm sure that the NSA is tracing every single image I sent out to astrometry.net and reading all the email I send to the Bisque brothers (suspicious foreign last names). For the record, I have two computers converted now loaded with astro software, used one for imaging last Saturday night and can report no particular problems associated with Win10. I even used the browser for a while but I couldn't work out how to kill those nasty flash videos as I can with Chrome so I've reverted.

There is a catch, of course. By controlling the desktop - the razor - you can sell tons of other software - the razor blades. That's what this is about - get everyone on the same platform and then you make all the money in the world providing other software, making tablets, providing support to big users, etc. It's a superior economic model. At this point, after the Win8 debacle, no one would pay MS $100 for an upgraded operating system. Frankly, other than perhaps the security model, there's really not been any significant improvement in the MS OS's over the past 7 years. People would still be using XP if it was supported. Assertions of evil intent are just that assertions and frankly laughable.

Rgrds-Ross

Stockholm Syndrome much?

#30 bildee

bildee

Lift Off

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

I have a question about Stellarium that maybe someone here can answer. I just installed it on a brand new netbook. I had been running it on my older laptop with a 1920x1080 display and everything looked great. Now the new notebook has a resolution of 3800x1800. The toolbars in Stellarium are now microscopic. I am literally needing to use a magnifying glass to see the icons. Any idea how to change the toolbar size? Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather NOT change the screen resolution.

While not a solution to your problem, I have a little more info on it. I bought a new laptop last month that's also running in the native 3800X1800 and Stellarium has been problematic too in that the toolbars are extremely small and unreadable.  It was doing it with Win 8.1 and Win 10. I'm trying to find a solution too that doesn't involve changing the resolution of the display.

Bill

#31 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

Think I'll stick with this:   https://www.youtube....t=RDDFEN0B2kjkg

Attached Thumbnails

• Sam_0010.jpg

#32 BSJ

BSJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

BTW, You don't need or want Norton's...the built in virus protection that comes with Windows 10 is much better. ;)

+1! Or at least it works great in Win 7.

I can't upgrade my Tablet to Win 10. It tells me my Intel® Media Accelerator is incompatible...

I'm hopeful, sort of, that Intel will update the driver. If they don't, no problem. I like 8.1.

#33 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Stockholm Syndrome much?

Luckily, anything you are worried about can be disabled easily. And...you don't HAVE TO UPGRADE if you don't want to. Ain't America great? :)

#34 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

Stockholm Syndrome much?

Luckily, anything you are worried about can be disabled easily. And...you don't HAVE TO UPGRADE if you don't want to. Ain't America great? :)

Unfortunately, disabling the features in several tech articles that snooped around the operating system showed that the data was still collected regardless of your opt in or out requests.  It is gathered and stored regardless of the settings on your computer, under a SQL server that runs on the system. 

#35 CHAPSKINS

CHAPSKINS

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

People making the argument of so what, we're only taking fancy pictures of the universe and what-not is a fair point to make, even still, I'm very uneasy with an alago or person sifting through my personal stufft. How many people on here would be okay with me having a poke about on their machine remotely and without their consent?

All that aside, I think for a developer, Microsoft et al having the ability to retain a devs data should raise some red flags. As the article that I linked to mentions, Microsoft sharing your data with third parties...hmm.

By the way, I'm not trolling, I have a legit copy of 8.1, I'm just voicing an opinion :)

#36 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

Unfortunately, disabling the features in several tech articles that snooped around the operating system showed that the data was still collected regardless of your opt in or out requests.  It is gathered and stored regardless of the settings on your computer, under a SQL server that runs on the system.

If you're worried about such a thing, well, don't install it and you are good. ;)

#37 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

If you're worried about such a thing, well, don't install it and you are good. ;)

My thoughts exactly. That or disconnect from the internet and close all your accounts. :grin:

#38 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

I have a question about Stellarium that maybe someone here can answer. I just installed it on a brand new netbook. I had been running it on my older laptop with a 1920x1080 display and everything looked great. Now the new notebook has a resolution of 3800x1800. The toolbars in Stellarium are now microscopic. I am literally needing to use a magnifying glass to see the icons. Any idea how to change the toolbar size? Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather NOT change the screen resolution.

While not a solution to your problem, I have a little more info on it. I bought a new laptop last month that's also running in the native 3800X1800 and Stellarium has been problematic too in that the toolbars are extremely small and unreadable.  It was doing it with Win 8.1 and Win 10. I'm trying to find a solution too that doesn't involve changing the resolution of the display.

Bill

Thanks Bill. If you do find a solution please post here. I've given up on it and just relegated to carrying around a large magnifying glass now. Kinda ridiculous.

#39 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

Don't plan on it.  My Win 7 Ultimate OS's are working wonderfully. :D

So is the Win XP SP3 system that needs to get used once in a blue moon for software that is not supported anymore... also have a Win 2000 system for this task as well.  It is amazing how HAM radio software as one example does not run on the newer systems - which mostly has to do with drivers not being written for the hardware that is utilized.

My thoughts exactly. That or disconnect from the internet and close all your accounts. :grin:

Disconnect from the internet?!? Are you madd man!!!  :bigshock:

...oh wait... I actually do this with development computers that the information contained on them do not need to be in anybody else's hands.  This is how they do it with proper security agencies around the world, and is the most foolproof way to secure your data from prying eyes and fingers.  I just wish more software companies would do this so they would not be utilizing buggy at best libraries that are rampant around the intarwebs, and force themselves to type the code, thus reading and realizing what it does, rather than copying and pasting stuff on a hope and a prayer. 

#40 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

So is the Win XP SP3 system that needs to get used once in a blue moon for software that is not supported anymore...

Have you tried this?

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Instead of Compatibility Mode, which tries to emulate older versions of Windows in Windows 7, this is a virtual machine of Windows XP. Unlike other VM programs like VirtualBox, there is deeper integration between the host OS and the guest OS. It's also free as far as I know.

#41 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

Just did a smooth and quick upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on a newly built computer. To address the privacy concerns, I did most of the suggested adjustments to the OS and downloaded replacements suggested for Windows Media Player, Groove Music and Windows Photo viewer covered on the attached link below. There are some good suggestions in the thread following the main info as well.

Disabling Data Logging in Win 10

I'm reviewing some of the info here as well.

I feel pretty good about my privacy now. The interface on Win 10 will take a little practice, but it's easy to modify to clean it up a bit. Settings are pretty easy to find after to get used to the modern lingo.

#42 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

XP was the peak, and I'm keeping a couple of XP machines around to run my now seriously outdated astronomy software on.  Long live Megastar!

Glen

With Window 7 Pro and Enterprise, you can run a true virtual XP machine in a window.  This allows one to run a great deal of legacy software that will not run in Windows 7.  Anyone know if this is still possible with 10?  I heard that 8 no longer had this capability.

I talked to someone the other day who is still running XP and he told me he is still getting updates.. 

Jon

#43 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

With Window 7 Pro and Enterprise, you can run a true virtual XP machine in a window.  This allows one to run a great deal of legacy software that will not run in Windows 7.  Anyone know if this is still possible with 10?  I heard that 8 no longer had this capability.

I talked to someone the other day who is still running XP and he told me he is still getting updates.. 

Jon

Jon,

XP is not included in Win 10 as it was in Win 7. I use it in Win 7 to run a couple of old applications. For Win 10, I'm investigating installing VMlite that will allow the installation of XP Mode.

Here's a link.

#44 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

So is the Win XP SP3 system that needs to get used once in a blue moon for software that is not supported anymore... also have a Win 2000 system for this task as well.  It is amazing how HAM radio software as one example does not run on the newer systems - which mostly has to do with drivers not being written for the hardware that is utilized.

I am just a little disappointed you didn't stick with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. :)

#45 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Skylab

• -----

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Apparently My Win10 is ready for instillation but am wondering about my laptop being able to handle it OR if M$ will want a subscription fee later down the line for me to own Win10(maybe that would be just for 'expansion packs').

#46 bluesteel

bluesteel

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

So is the Win XP SP3 system that needs to get used once in a blue moon for software that is not supported anymore...

Have you tried this?

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Instead of Compatibility Mode, which tries to emulate older versions of Windows in Windows 7, this is a virtual machine of Windows XP. Unlike other VM programs like VirtualBox, there is deeper integration between the host OS and the guest OS. It's also free as far as I know.

I have not tried that one, but with the drivers for some things that I utilize XP once in a while for, not sure if it would work.  Maybe one day when I am bored I'll try it out, but my rule of thumb is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - especially if something is running perfectly fine on an older box that doesn't need intarwebs. 

#47 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I thought until just now that I was the only person who remembered Windows for Workgroups. Thanks for them memory.

Personally, I was a PC DOS (dual floppied, hard drive card) user until Win 95 came out. Talk about upgrade quicksand when that happened.

I've got three computers running Win 10 now, two more to go here at the house and zero problems to report. I would suggest, though, that everyone upgrading have a look at the Privacy Options when they do it or use the Privacy Settings Screen to avoid having MS keep a lo of history on you, etc.

Rgrds-Roiss 

#48 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Apparently My Win10 is ready for instillation but am wondering about my laptop being able to handle it OR if M$ will want a subscription fee later down the line for me to own Win10(maybe that would be just for 'expansion packs').

My understanding is that MS has confirmed that it will not charge a subscription fee to those who upgrade in the first year.  However, I expect them to gradually discontinue older application programs and move all of them to SaaS.

#49 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

I do not plan to upgrade from ver. 7 to ver. 10.  Not because I am concerned about the system snooping on me or a hidden fee appearing in the future (those could become concerns if anything like that looks like it starts).  I just don't need to upgrade.  Win. 7 does everything on my desktop I want it to do.  It came pre-loaded when I bought a new machine, it did and does what I need it's not hard to use and has been stable.  But then, I could say the same for XP.  I have an old laptop with XP and use it for other things than going online.

If anyone has software or hardware that requires the new version, then that person needs it.  So far I don't.  If I have read correctly Win 7 will be supported until 2019.  If my desktop and my heart and still alive at that time I will decide what to do then.  Or maybe not, I just got an Android tablet that so far I really like a lot!

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

#50 starlight5

starlight5

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Haven't read  all the comments here, but for those of us who don't have unlimited download capacity with our isp's (I'm limited to 5 gb/mo), how big of a download is this?..............Thanks 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics