•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik Infinity -New camera for video astronomy

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#1 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Just received an email from Atik. You can read all about it here.

It can be very interesting indeed!

• mclewis1 and CharlesC like this

#2 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

Sedat,

Thanks for the heads up! 

It's nice to see an imaging company "finally" realizing EAA does have a following.

It'll be interesting to see how the new camera progresses. 

It's also nice to see they'll be making software for it!

David B in NM

Edited by David B in NM, 30 July 2015 - 11:06 AM.

• bilgebay likes this

#3 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thanks, Sedat, for sharing this news.  Sounds good so far.

Don

• bilgebay likes this

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Cool camera. Nice to see another brand show interest in astrovideo (note that is what they called it - video astronomy ). Things could get exciting if this one sells well and Atik gets encouraged to do more in this area.
  • bilgebay likes this

#5 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

There's also the potential Atik's "interest" in EAA will encourage other imaging companies to develop a camera for NRTV viewing too. 

Who knows what may be in store for us.

David B in NM

#6 waynedak

waynedak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Just received an email from Atik. You can read all about it here.

It can be very interesting indeed!

Sedat,

If a non-moderator had posted what you did, that would have been okay.  By you posting this to the forum isn't this "product pushing"? 

On another note, it appears that Atik is copying Mallincam technology  and their software is VERY similar to the SkyRaider MALLINCAMSKY software.

Cheers
Wayne Dak
California

#7 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

Wayne,

IMHO Sedat is not product pushing.

I believe the Atik software will very likely include on-the-fly stacking, live updates and a timer (at a minimum).  If I recall these weren't included in the MCSky software. 

BTW:  I think the Meade DSI pre-dates the DS series.  It had live view.

David B in NM

Edited by David B in NM, 30 July 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#8 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

Wayne,

I don't see where Sedat was "pushing" anything.  He simply provided information.

I also don't think there is any indication that Atik is copying MC technology with the limited information we have.  Perhaps you can provide specifics about the software and what you were referring to.

#9 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

What product pushing ? I'm not a share holder in Atik nor have I any affiliation with them!

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

On another note, it appears that Atik is copying Mallincam technology  and their software is VERY similar to the SkyRaider MALLINCAMSKY software.

Cheers,  Wayne Dak California

Wayne,

Actually on the surface the Atik software appears to be closer functionality wise to LodeStar Live which pre dates either of those ... so using the term "copying" is probably not a good idea.

I'm sure in the future there will be many comments about who's copying who ... in that discussion it would be good to remember some history. Live viewing software goes back many years and was not originally developed by any of the players mentioned here.

#11 chasing photons

chasing photons

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

It will be great if the Atik Infinity camera proves to be a good camera for near real time observing.

I posted a request on the Atik forum over a year ago for just such a camera based on the ICX825.  Since then the Atik 414EX and now the Atik Infinity have been created.  With a bit larger chip, a bit greater resolution and decent sized pixels, the Atik Infinity might finally be something that I would be interested in building a near real time observing system around.  If the technical specifications and the software turn out to be as good as they sound, this just might get me there.

Here is the link to my Atik forum post from June of 2014.  I also remember a number of CN members were poopooing my idea of using the ICX825 a year ago.

http://forums.atik-c...hp?topic=1952.0

I look forward to seeing the results.  Thank you Atik!

Edited by chasing photons, 30 July 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#12 Billingr26

Billingr26

Lift Off

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

I really don't give a hoot on what camera is being promoted BUT Waynedak has a point, Why wouldn't a Vendor announce a new camera on the vendors forum but an Administrator not Moderator will announce it for them in the EAA forum. Things that make you go Hmmm.

I don't have two cents but if I did I wouldn't give it to you I need it to buy more equipment.

Robert

#13 chasing photons

chasing photons

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

As I don't rate to get emails from Atik,   ;)   I want to thank Sedat for the heads up on the new Atik Infinity camera.  Thank you, Sedat!

• Live_Steam_Mad and Gary Z like this

#14 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hello,

I really don't give a hoot on what camera is being promoted BUT Waynedak has a point, Why wouldn't a Vendor announce a new camera on the vendors forum but an Administrator not Moderator will announce it for them in the EAA forum. Things that make you go Hmmm.

I don't have two cents but if I did I wouldn't give it to you I need it to buy more equipment.

Robert

Robert,

Welcome back!  It seems you and Wayne make appearances at the same time and are very strong MC supporters.

I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion though.  I know another person who has strong beliefs that the whole CN Community, to include the owner, create an unfair atmosphere for him.

It's odd you or Wayne haven't commented when a "heads-up" is given in other forums by the CN Crew for products that don't compete with your favorite vendor. 

Maybe that'll will change now since MC has a refractor though.

Perhaps it may be best if you relax.

David B in NM

• Gary Z likes this

#15 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

Great news that someone has done an EAA camera that is close to HD resolution.

I had asked Rock during his demo broadcast of the Skyraider about the possibility of a 825 based camera and he expressed to me that he looked into it and was not happy with the performance of the system he evaluated. I do not know anything further about the prototype he tested. Also having seen what Rocks high standards are I think my personal standards of what I find acceptable with viewing are lower than his. In addition I would think that because he fully supports the cameras he sells he will have other requirements due to this (like part availability).

I'm looking forward to seeing this camera by Atik tested, and hopefully we will get fully supported Mac software so that if it works well I may consider it.

Edited by Relativist, 30 July 2015 - 02:23 PM.

• mclewis1, DonBoy, Gary Z and 1 other like this

#16 Billingr26

Billingr26

Lift Off

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

David,

I will take your advise and relax.

Thanks,

Robert 

#17 flyingcougar

flyingcougar

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just a little clarification seems to be in order here.

From the TOS, "Vendors, please be aware that product pushing (either directly by you or through shills) will also be considered a violation of the TOS."

The volunteer CN staff members are amateur astronomers like the majority of our membership. We all use various manufacturer's products while enjoying our hobby and are free to comment on any of them. We don't sell or represent any astronomical products, we are consumers and users just like the rest of the regular membership. That's the difference.

Please continue with the discussion on what appears to be an interesting new option for EAA.

• Relativist, ccs_hello, DonBoy and 9 others like this

#18 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

Just like to mention that Atik is a reputable CCD design house and a vendor.

Its origin went as early as the original Artemis CCD making astroCCD imagers as either finished products or partial DIY kits.

(Kind of like early days of open hardware type of movement., geared toward astro community) 

Later got sold and became Atik.

ICX825 is a nice progressive mode type-2/3" RGBG image sensor.  My main concern is the production cost due to it is not a mass-produced CCD.

BTW, thanks Sedat for the new product info.  The more vendors focused on EAA market the merrier.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#19 Delta608

Delta608

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

Competition is always a good thing...Thanks for the heads up....

#20 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

With the 414EX selling at just under $1500 and the Infinity not having a TEC (cooler) I'm hoping the price will be closer to $1000.

$700-750 for the uncooled 829 based cameras. Increased sensor size (with a slight decrease in sensitivity) for an additional $300 or so? If the software is well integrated and has all the right features that sounds like a competitive product.

Edited by mclewis1, 30 July 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#21 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the link Sedat   :waytogo:

Sounds interesting.

#22 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

With Atik successfully adopting the 825 chip for EAA, we should expect to see others soon following...   Finally we will get greater than 1mp resolution with EAA sensitivity that so many of us have been waiting for!   Exciting times...  Can't wait for NEAF 2016!

Al

#23 chasing photons

chasing photons

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

Atik Infinity introduced on the Atik web site...

http://www.atik-came...-atik-infinity/

There is a choice of mono or one-shot-color image sensors.

Edited by chasing photons, 31 July 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#24 David B in NM

David B in NM

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

The image of M51 may be binned.  I do see the number 2 in the binning block.

When binning is used it negates the resolution gain we "thought" we might be getting.

David B in NM

Edited by David B in NM, 31 July 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#25 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hmmmm . . . nothing stated about exposure length possible.

The software photo shows it set at 1 sec.

Another product we will have to wait for information on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics