•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik Infinity -New camera for video astronomy

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#251 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Mike,

The Meade 3.3 comes with a SCT to T- thread adapter and two T-thread extensions.  Remove the T-thread to 1.25" adapter from the Infinity and you will be using the adapters that came with the Meade FR.  Attach your FR to scope and then the SCT to T-thread adapter to the FR and the longer of the two extensions and then screw this into the Infinity.   This will give you a reduced focal reduction but improve the image and reduce the coma and vignetting.

I like this idea, but then you can't use 1.25 or 2 inch filters right?

Correct.  That is why I prefer to use a T-to-2" nosepiece that you can insert into your normal visual back.  You can then put a 2" filter on the end of it if needed.  Another option is a more convoluted combination of adapters:

= camera + T-thread spacer (as req'd) + T-to-2" adapter + 2" filter + 2"-to-SCT adapter + Meade FR

An advantage of going with all threaded connections instead of thumbscrews is you get better alignment of the camera with the telescope axis.  Your click-lock visual back is giving you this same advantage of good alignment.  I purchased all the req'd adapters from AgenaAstro.com.

cheers,

Jim T.

Ok, how about this

= camera + T-thread spacer (as req'd) + T-to-2" adapter + 2" filter + 2"-Baader click-lock + Meade FR

With all this in the optical chain, determining the spacer will be the key

#252 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

Mike,

the camera has a standard T thread.

You don't need to spend money on a new FR if you want to run the system at F4.5-F5 (which I recommend for the mono sensor especially when using x2 bin). With the correct spacing the Meade 3.3 works very well at F4.5-F5. This is how I used the Infinity with my Meade 3.3.

This calculator will tell you the exact spacing you need. http://www.wilmslowa...rmulae.htm#FR_b

Hiten

Ok, I am little new to this.  I set my scope to C11 and the Meade 3.3 reducer, but not sure what this is telling me

Mike,

Sorry for not being clear. Don beat me to it. Do what Don said and use a spacing of 45mm to get to F5.

Keep in mind that 45mm is total spacing. So using the meade 30mm spacer should be sufficient as the camera has a back focus of ~12.5mm

-Hiten

attachicon.gifClipboard01.jpg

I got my Meade 3.3 used, so it came with no after or spacers.  I will search online

You can use a SCT to T thread adapter like this one: http://agenaastro.co...ad-adapter.html

Or this one: http://agenaastro.co...table-t-02.html

I would recommend the second one as you can adjust the orientation of the camera.

#253 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

With my suggestion your optical chain would look like this:

Camera -> (1) T thread 1.25 filter adapter -> (2) Adjustable SCT to T thread adapter -> Meade 3.3

(1) http://agenaastro.co...apter-t-10.html

(2) http://agenaastro.co...table-t-02.html

Using this configuration (and these components) I end up with exactly F5 using the Atik Infinity.

Edited by Astrojedi, 23 March 2016 - 04:13 PM.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#254 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Depending on the nature of your T-to-2" adapter and 2" filter, you may or may not have enough of a 2" section to clamp into your click lock.  I have done it before successfully, but if you have a T-to-2" nosepiece instead of a T-to-2" adapter it would be more solid.

cheers,

Jim T.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#255 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

Or for mounting 1.25" filters this inexpensive adapter from Scopestuff - http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_tfa1.htm which only sits inside a T thread adapter (it doesn't require an inline threaded T thread junction).

The point of the T thread option is to add solid threaded only connections, and be able to take advantage of the popular variety of T spacers (which come in every size required including a variable one as Hiten mentioned above). If you add barrel attachments to a T thread setup I think you are defeating some of the purpose and would likely be better off just using SCT to 1.25 or 2" visual back products and sliding the camera into the correct spacing (and possibly using parafocal rings to fix that position).

The adapter (the Variable T-Adapter) Meade included with their .33x reducer was a nice piece of gear. It consisted of an SCT to T thread adapter with a slip ring so it could be rotated as it's tightened and 30 and 15mm T thread spacer rings.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#256 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the great help and tips

#257 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:21 AM

I currently have an Optec .33x reducer with a C-mount mounting plate. What type of adapter would be needed to connect that to the Infinity (if possible). I use it with a C-8.

JohnD

#258 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

Camera -> (1) T thread 1.25 filter adapter -> (2) Adjustable SCT to T thread adapter -> Meade 3.3

Using this configuration (and these components) I end up with exactly F5 using the Atik Infinity.

Well the bad news is number 2 is out of stock.  I searched the net and cant find it anywhere.  Agena will notify me when it is back in stock

#259 jimthompson

jimthompson

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Well the bad news is number 2 is out of stock.  I searched the net and cant find it anywhere.  Agena will notify me when it is back in stock

Hi Mike,

If you get the nosepiece below you can attach that to the T-thread 1.25" filter holder (item #1 in your list) and insert the hole thing into your 2" click lock.  You will even get some adjust-ability in your reduction by sliding the nosepiece in and out of your click-lock.

http://agenaastro.co...ad-adapter.html

cheers,

Jim T.

Edited by jimthompson, 24 March 2016 - 08:38 AM.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#260 jsardina

jsardina

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clifton, NJ

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hello all,

I got my Atik Infinity delivered yesterday and Of course I had to get out there and try it no matter the weather. I can tell you this I've owned many cameras and with what I saw, this cameras is very sensitive. I was using my LX850 14" f8 and of course the camera was the Infinity and I bought the t-thread to 1.25 http://telescopes.ne...cs-adapter.html and I attached a .5 fr to it with a 5mm spacer which should of brought me down to a 4 to 5 FR. My vignetting was very very minimal and I i would consider this set up a success. now I just need clear skies to do testing but from what I saw last night I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Who knows maybe my try first broadcast will be on www.nightskiesnetwork.com and you'll all be able to see this camera in action.

PS. I'm about as amateur as you can get so I know people who just got this camera that will really hit this out of the park.

As a disclosure I don't support any camera or equipment but when I see something good I have to comment.

Joseph Sardina

owner of NSN

• OleCuss likes this

#261 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

Congrats Joseph, even though I had some Vignetting issues, I still REALLY like the camera.  And the software really makes it shine.  Can't wait to hear your first light report

#262 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

I currently have an Optec .33x reducer with a C-mount mounting plate. What type of adapter would be needed to connect that to the Infinity (if possible). I use it with a C-8.

JohnD

John,

You will want a T-thread male to C-mount female thread disc adapter.  The ZWO is available from several dealers but it is too thick and will add too much spacing to the Optec (5mm or 6mm).   ScopeStuff has one that is 3mm thick that would be better suited to Optec and the Infinity since it's mounting depth is 3mm.  These extra mms make a difference, and with the 3mm thick adapter you will still maintain a 13mm backfocus with the Infinity, where the ZWO will yield a 16mm backfocus.

The latest Opetc NexGen .33x and not the early version will have any chance of working with the Infinity at .33x.  You may get no coma but vignetting is a strong possiblity as others have posted and you may need to reduce the spacing and operate the .33x as a .4+x.

Edited by DonBoy, 24 March 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#263 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

The latest Opetc NexGen .33x and not the early version will have any chance of working with the Infinity at .33x.  You may get no coma but vignetting is a strong possiblity as others have posted and you may need to reduce the spacing and operate the .33x as a .4+x.

I have the latest Optec NexGen .33x and was disappointed with the Ultrastar c results at F3.3 on My 8" Meade SCT.  Here is a comparison of images taken at F3.3 and F4.5.  F3.3 has vignetting and corner coma.  It might be a good idea for those who have this Optec to post more results.  I may be doing something wrong, and more tests with different setups may help.  

image.jpg

#264 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

At F4.5

image.jpg

#265 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Don,

What were the FR spacing for each image?

#266 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

I find the one at F3.3 not too bad Don, in terms of vignetting.  Coma is a bit too much for my taste though.  It certainly is eliminated from the field at F4.5.  Probably the best route and the most expensive is to get an optical tube with a fast native focal length or, in the case of SCT's, Hyperstar.  Otherwise, getting a larger field with a larger chip is a quest of diminishing returns.  Going even one stop slower means a fourfold increase in exposure time to get the same image density.  Perhaps the best compromise is a fast scope with a mild reducer.  You can stack more frames, increase gain, etc software-wise to make up some of that difference.  I recently dusted off my 10" F4 SN for a few nights with my Mallincam Extreme.  The C11 at F2.5 performs much better EAA-wise as exposure time and gain was much less while the field was noticeably larger.  I can get away with that due to the small chip in the camera.  When I used my refractor at it's native F6 it worked fine when I increased the gain.  You do lose a bit with more gain but stacking mitigates this too.  I don't know what the magic number for focal ratio is but I suspect it is under F4.

#267 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Just received an email from Atik. You can read all about it here.

It can be very interesting indeed!

And from the image samples provided, the image quality beats the pants off anything Mallincam offers at this point!

bwa,

Not sure what image samples you're talking about.  Could you please post them or a link to them.  Thanks.

http://www.atik-came.../atik-infinity/

bwa

Note that as per Atik most of the images on their site have been post processed (and are quite long total exposures). I am not saying Atik Infinity Color is not a good camera... it is... I enjoyed using it when I had it. But don't expect those kind of results in real time.

#268 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Don,

What were the FR spacing for each image?

Don,

Not sure.  It was a while back.  But I see someone has submitted the image to Astrometry.net and the result give a FOV consistent with a FL of 660mm for a Meade 8" and 825 sized sensor, resulting in a FR of .33.  If the spacing is important, I have a chart back in my observatory that I usually go off of, but I can't be sure it was what I used on that particular night.

Don

Just checked the second image and it comes out to a .43 FR.

Edited by Don Rudny, 24 March 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#269 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

I find the one at F3.3 not too bad Don, in terms of vignetting.  Coma is a bit too much for my taste though.  It certainly is eliminated from the field at F4.5.  Probably the best route and the most expensive is to get an optical tube with a fast native focal length or, in the case of SCT's, Hyperstar.  Otherwise, getting a larger field with a larger chip is a quest of diminishing returns.  Going even one stop slower means a fourfold increase in exposure time to get the same image density.  Perhaps the best compromise is a fast scope with a mild reducer.  You can stack more frames, increase gain, etc software-wise to make up some of that difference.  I recently dusted off my 10" F4 SN for a few nights with my Mallincam Extreme.  The C11 at F2.5 performs much better EAA-wise as exposure time and gain was much less while the field was noticeably larger.  I can get away with that due to the small chip in the camera.  When I used my refractor at it's native F6 it worked fine when I increased the gain.  You do lose a bit with more gain but stacking mitigates this too.  I don't know what the magic number for focal ratio is but I suspect it is under F4.

Tough to beat Hyperstar, Dwight.  15 seconds and the only reason there are seven stacks is that I forgot to shut it off at three.  I was probably talking to someone.

image.jpg

• StarMike8SE and Robrj like this

#270 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Tough to beat Hyperstar, Dwight.  15 seconds and the only reason there are seven stacks is that I forgot to shut it off at three.  I was probably talking to someone.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I like all the images you just posted. I would be proud of any of them.  

#271 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Thanks, Mike.

The perfect skies here help quite a bit.  Having access to a C14 Edge with HS doesn't hurt either.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#272 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks, Mike.

The perfect skies here help quite a bit.  Having access to a C14 Edge with HS doesn't hurt either.

LOL!  Perfect Hyperstar scope under perfect skies...  How can you go wrong!?

bwa

#273 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:43 PM

Believe me, I find a way sometimes.

#274 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

JohnD

John,

You will want a T-thread male to C-mount female thread disc adapter.  The ZWO is available from several dealers but it is too thick and will add too much spacing to the Optec (5mm or 6mm).   ScopeStuff has one that is 3mm thick that would be better suited to Optec and the Infinity since it's mounting depth is 3mm.  These extra mms make a difference, and with the 3mm thick adapter you will still maintain a 13mm backfocus with the Infinity, where the ZWO will yield a 16mm backfocus.

Thanks Don.

JohnD

#275 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

Thanks, Mike.

Sounds like my dream setup.  It will happen someday

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics