•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I was given an old B&L microscope. Looking for help on whether I should keep it or sell to fund more astro stuff.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BMcCaskill

BMcCaskill

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mt. Pleasant SC

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

I'll start by saying that I know nothing at all about microscopy but have always had an interest in learning. Now, I was given this old Bausch & Lomb microscope by my parents, who got it from a friend who was moving to a new home and didn't want to carry it. As you'll be able to see in the pics, it is old but appears unused. It even still has an inspection tag hanging on it. I've looked around a bit and can't really seem to find much info on the value of these things. If it's only worth a couple hundred bucks or less I'm going to keep it, at the risk of getting addicted to another debilitatingly expensive hobby. However, if it's worth more and/or considered collectible (possibly because of it's condition?), I would prefer to sell/trade it for astrophotography gear. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Link to the Imgur album - http://imgur.com/a/4Oyd8

• Yogohuntr likes this

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

I suggest keeping it.  Something to do on cloudy nights!

• JerryOrr likes this

#3 BMcCaskill

BMcCaskill

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

But cloudy nights are for image editing!   :grin:

#4 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

If it's only worth a couple hundred bucks or less I'm going to keep it, at the risk of getting addicted to another debilitatingly expensive hobby. 

I'm a vintage AO/Spencer guy myself, so can't speak directly to vintage B&L compound microscopes; however, I believe your value estimate is about right. You have a great old microscope there, only rub is it needs an external light source. I put together a little microscope web page, perhaps it might give you ideas: http://tinyurl.com/kx8j36z 

As for "debilitatingly expensive" (ha ha!), I gotta say microscopy junque is a lot less expensive than astro gear.

While I agree with Mr Covington, I tend to do most of my microscopy on crummy winter weather days for whatever that's worth.

• brownrb1 likes this

#5 BMcCaskill

BMcCaskill

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

That a great site you have there. Being an avid woodworker myself, I really loved the boats. I was wondering if it was possible to mount a camera to my scope and if so, what all would be involved? Can I just get a nosepiece and insert the camera in place of one of the eyepieces?

#6 bobby2

bobby2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi, I am a serious microscope collector, as well as an astronomer - telescope nut.

You have a good research quality Bausch and Lomb, not rare, lots like this were made - I hope you have kept it.

Get a 'twig' from the branch of some plant and cut it with a razor blade as carefully and as thin as you can. (Best done underwater.) Then put the slice on a microscope slide, add a drop of water and cover with another slide, and look at it under low magnification. I am sure you will then begin a new 'career' of hunting the small as you will have till now been, the 'large'. No need to be expensive, small 'stuff' to look at from the outdoors is free.

All the best.

• mdowns likes this

#7 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:58 PM

Pretty impressive diatom snap, thanks for posting those photos!

#8 Bubbleboy

Bubbleboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

This microscope is rare in this condition.

Most show wear from extensive use, storage, etc.

Look at all the accessories,,,

Save this one.

#9 Lcm47

Lcm47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Humble, Tx

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

I've enjoyed viewing  'bread mold'  it is fascinating and beautiful if stained with gentian violet or methylene blue (can't remember which right now, but I do have both)  and affixed to a slide with slide cover.  Cheap to do , just get some mold off of bread.

Edmund Scientific ( has a new name , scientificsonline.com ) has a lot of cheap microscopy supplies.

I have a AccuScope and when I want  'small fun'   I gather rainwater out of the ditch, lots of critters

Elsie in Humble, Tx.

Edited by Lcm47, 05 August 2017 - 01:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics